[LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON PAD/VFD for Linux and XBMC
Thumbs Up 
Hi All,

I've been battling my Imon PAD/VFD for the last few days, so here's a quick HOWTO on how to make it all work...

(It's all done on hardy...)

1. Download the pre-complied kernel module lirc_imon.ko that i've compiled with Pad2Keys enabled.

2. Replace the new lirc_imon.ko module with the old one.
Code:
sudo mv ./lirc_imon.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/media/lirc/lirc_imon/

3. Reconfigure LIRC to use Imon PAD/VFD by running:
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

4. Copy the new lircd.conf to /usr/share/lirc/remotes/imon/
and name it lircd.conf.imon-pad2keys:
Code:
sudo cp ./lircd.conf /usr/share/lirc/remotes/imon/lircd.conf.imon-pad2keys

5. Edit /etc/lircd.conf and replace usr/share/lirc/remotes/imon/lircd.conf.imon-pad with usr/share/lirc/remotes/imon/lircd.conf.imon-pad2keys

6. Edit /etc/modprobe.d/options and add the following lines:
Code:
options lirc_imon islcd=0 pad2keys_active=1
This will translate the special directional keys on the remote to act as key presses instead of mouse movement, it will also force the lirc_imon module to output to VFD instead of the LCD (islcd=0).

7. Copy Lircmap.xml to the .xbmc/userdata folder.
ex:
Code:
cp ./Lircmap.xml /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/

8. Enable the XBMC to use the iMon VFD:
Code:
cp /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/LCD.xml /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/
I am contemplating building an HTPC with an iMon touchscreen (one of the full color ones). Would setting this up as you have detailed result in a cloned screen on the iMon LCD? Such that you could touch "Music" and then select the album using your finger? Or do you need other (Windows) software to have that functionaility? If you need to use the iMon-supplied software, does anyone know if that runs in Wine?

I have built many a Linux machine before, but I am new to the LCD screen aspect of it. I really want to stick with Linux (to avoid cost, etc.), so if that means I will lose the touchscreen capability, I will either nix the LCD completely, or downgrade significantly.
AFAIK, I guess that for what you want to do can't you just connect the iMon LCD monitor as a secondary monitor to the PC?

And have the touch screen as an additional input to X?
I'll look into this some, but I was hoping someone here might have experimented with this. All I want is a cloned screen -- the XBMC interface is beautiful so why mess with that -- so I do not have to turn on the projector when I just want to listen to music. Touch functionality would be great too -- so I do not have to dig for the remote. Just hit music and select the playlist.
Is the control (volume) knob which comes with the iMon VFD module, like in the Antec Fusion 430, work? Is it supported thru lirc?

I'm considering buying the Chieftec HM-03B htpc case which has 2 of those controls. It's not cheep. If it has non-funcioning parts in XBMC linux, I don't want it.

Thanks for your help.

Fitho
Hy to all.
I'm starting with a XBMC on my OpenSuSE11.0 and KDE.
I've a ThermalTake Bach case with MediaLab by SoundGraph (VFD/IR).
With LCDproc I've got no probs, but with LIRC yes.
I followed your guide above, downloaded the Lircmap.xml into the right dir, but the imon-pad seems not working properly.
Any suggestion?
Sorry for my bad english.
See ya
With irw I tested the my pad looses some keys like mouse up down etc.
Now I'm going to dismount it to verify.
Direct link :

lirc_imon.ko
lircd.conf
Lircmap.xml
Those kernel modules would always end up rendering my remote useless with Ubuntu 8.04, so I ended up just remapping some of the buttons around the pad to work like directional arrows. It's much less of a hassle now and works just fine.
Many thanks Krystal.
I'll try them this evening!!!!!!!!!
Help with my lcd panel Samsung? For HDMI.....
@Kristal
I find out that your files where uqual then mine!
My imon-pad miss up-down-right-left moving!!!!!!!!
What can I do?
Thanks in advance.
Hey out there! Is anyone there?
My pad misses cursor moving.
Any idea?
Thanks
Hey Duduke,

I'm currently trying to get my iMON remote to work. I'm working on hardy with 2.6.24-23-server kernel. Do you think I can make this work if I compile a module with the latest lirc snapshot and use that one instead of the precompiled one? Am I missing something here? Eek
is this how to working with xbmc live ?
There's an updated howto in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40290.

It should also work with XBMCLive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON PAD/VFD for Linux and XBMC1