Recommended hardware alternatives to Kore / Yatse?
As-is environment: Windows 10 wifi stream to TV using Chromecast (ethernet is unfortunately not possible)
To-be environment (next month or two): HDMI plugged Raspberry PI 3b+ running OSMC. Will be used for Kodi, Retropie (and maybe even a basic NAS if that's not too crazy demanding)

Right now I'm using Yatse but it's not ideal for me. I'd rather just use a little physical remote control instead. Just volume, power, and ability for navigation like I have on my PC now (libraries, settings etc), that's it. I will pay more for something that also has an input button and - if it exists - subtitle toggle button. I am pretty set on running OSMC.

And suggestiions on what to buy?
If your TV supports CEC, you can start by using your TV's own remote to navigate in Kodi.
If it were me (and all my Harmony remotes stopped working) given your usage I'd take a look at the osmc remote.
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/acc...te-control
If you've got any spare suitable IR remotes laying around, then also maybe a FLIRC dongle configured to drive everything and plugged into the Pi?

Then you can set up the remote keys to emulate any of the keyboard (wiki) commands (the FLIRC appears as a keyboard to the device it's plugged into). And for the slightly more advanced player you can also of course expand that by a suitable keymap (wiki) adjustment.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-03-09, 14:12)Klojum Wrote: If your TV supports CEC, you can start by using your TV's own remote to navigate in Kodi.
That is perfect! If I can get it to work. Dumb question but just to double confirm, looks like I can give it a go with CEC. Correct?

CONNECTIVITY
Simplink (HDMI CEC) Yes
Wi-Fi Built In 802.11ac
Wi-Fi Direct Yes
Shocked 
(2019-03-09, 14:20)trogggy Wrote: If it were me (and all my Harmony remotes stopped working) given your usage I'd take a look at the osmc remote.
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/acc...te-control
Yup that's the exact same remote I've been looking at closely. Minimalist and "official" (whatever that may be worth). Price a little steep at CAD$30 but that's the way I'll go if I cannot get CEC mapping working (as per Klojum' post above)

Thanks for posting Smile
(2019-03-09, 17:37)YVR_Guy Wrote: Dumb question but just to double confirm, looks like I can give it a go with CEC
I have CEC working on my 2012 LG TV, so yours shouldn't be a problem either. If it's not enabled by default on your (new) TV, you have to wake it up manually via the TV's settings, which is not a big deal. You may have to set the correct HDMI port in Kodi when connecting your Kodi device to a different HDMI port on the TV other than port 1.

Also, the TV remote via CEC normally isn't equipped to activate Kodi's context menu. It requires some key remapping on Kodi (which I haven't bothered to figure out yet).
Thanks! If this might be of use to you, I just stumbled across an addon that automates button mapping for your TV remote. No more XML file, hex to decimal conversions etc.

When the time comes for mapping my remote, I'll be referring to https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...hp?t=89488
(2019-03-09, 14:12)Klojum Wrote: If your TV supports CEC, you can start by using your TV's own remote to navigate in Kodi.
Amen to that. I recently discovered (by accident) that the pretty ordinary remote from my tv works with OSCM on the Pi3+. Not even sure if it's a new thing since the december update? It says Sony RM-ED050, also switches subtitles etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended hardware alternatives to Kore / Yatse?0