v17 Getting / Recording Live TV
[RESOLVED]

I have a working Kodi. I would like to make recordings of TV broadcasts of shows I watch. I get beyond belief confused. Somehow or other, I come to udnerstand I need TVHeadend to record. But for the life of me, I have no idea of how to get TVHeadend onto/into the correct Kodi directory/subdirectory. That is, I've no idea how to install it within Kodi. I don't even know where to download it from.

If I ssh into the LibreELEC root/subs, do I run sudo install tvheadend there? How would I do all the configuring that tvheadend requires.

I've tried tvheadend on my linux, but while it works there, I've no idea how to get it over to the Kodi box. I turn the Linux off and that's why I ask. The Kodi box of stuff has to record on it's own, not 'cause it's networked to a computer.

My hardware is Raspberry Pi (Model B+), HDHomeRun (model: Connect, 2 tuners)

My software is: LibreELEC (official): 8.2.5 (RPi.arm), Kodi Krypton (v. 17.6)

TV plays well. I've tried installing HDHomeRun apps I can find at github and tvaddons, but every time I select Record or Set a Timer, the stack balks. Sometimes that means cold-booting by unplugging the power cord. Sometimes, after a while, the system restarts on it's on.
FYI: addons from the TVaddons repository are on Kodi's banned add-ons list. As per forum rules (wiki), support will be halted if any of those banned add-ons are installed. Such 3rd party addons are known to install additional workings, which can interfere with core Kodi functionality.
TO BE FULLY HONEST. I installed I don't know what from I don't know where. All I know for certain is that I haven't figured out what TVheadend has to do with all this as there isn't a TVheadend addon. Or do I call that an app because the word addon is banned?
Didn't we already go through this in great detail in your other thread?

What elements of it are still confusing for you?

But as noted above, if you're sourcing anything from the TVAddons site then you're on your own, as we don't wish to have anything to do with that site nor anything from it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Mr. Hill.

Thank you for another response. And as you help more than me, I'll just ask it this way:

If I pay SiliconDust the $35 annual fee for their PVR/DVR (whatever it is called) service, can you say if that service will all me to record over-the-air television broadcasts and to play or replay them to a monitor (or HDMI input device --we used to call that a TV)?

I'm giving up on finding the correct TVHeadend applications. I don't understand how to find the "correct" one. There are several. I don't understand that after one or more are installed how to configure them. Not separately, not collectively. I had tvh or maybe it is tvheadend running at the terminal, via: ssh [email protected] and saw it found the tuner and showed stuff about streams. But it had the wrong storage and I coudn't find how to configure that for the correct device/directory. Returning to Kodi's "TV", looking at "Timer", and clicking that, causes the system to lock and reboot after a number of minutes.

I apologize if I'm being a pain. But I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm confused.
(2019-03-18, 22:43)Klojum Wrote: FYI: addons from the TVaddons repository are on Kodi's banned add-ons list. As per forum rules (wiki), support will be halted if any of those banned add-ons are installed. Such 3rd party addons are known to install additional workings, which can interfere with core Kodi functionality.
Is github where these banned add-ons are? I'm not savvy enough to know which are which yet. Reading/researching on the 'net for the keywords: Raspberry Pi, LibreELEC, Kodi, hdhomerun, tvheadend is all I've been able to do. If I read something that looks promising all I can do is try it. If you read my response to Darren Hill, you will know that I'm looking at buying Silicon Dusts' recording service. Thank you for letting me know about this.

Given that I want help from those who have more savvy than I do, I DON'T want to violate these rules. Please pardon my ignorance. I'm working on it.
(2019-03-19, 19:37)Mark the Flâneur Wrote: Mr. Hill.

Thank you for another response. And as you help more than me, I'll just ask it this way:

If I pay SiliconDust the $35 annual fee for their PVR/DVR (whatever it is called) service, can you say if that service will all me to record over-the-air television broadcasts and to play or replay them to a monitor (or HDMI input device --we used to call that a TV)?

I'm giving up on finding the correct TVHeadend applications. I don't understand how to find the "correct" one. There are several. I don't understand that after one or more are installed how to configure them. Not separately, not collectively. I had tvh or maybe it is tvheadend running at the terminal, via: ssh [email protected] and saw it found the tuner and showed stuff about streams. But it had the wrong storage and I coudn't find how to configure that for the correct device/directory. Returning to Kodi's "TV", looking at "Timer", and clicking that, causes the system to lock and reboot after a number of minutes.

I apologize if I'm being a pain. But I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm confused.

I haven't used the Silicon Dust PVR service, so I can't comment I'm afraid on how well it works (or doesn't) with Kodi and the PVR addons. For me the TVH solution works, and it's free so there's no need for me to pay to get the functionality.

One comment though - you configure the TVHeadend server by connecting to it via a web browser at port 9981 (by default, so http://addressoftvhserver:9981) and set it up via the dashboard that will appear there. You don't connect to it via ssh or use a shell/terminal to do so. I think I've given you links before on tutorials on how to set it up - did they not walk you through it?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Due to confusion/lack of understanding, I was installing TVHeadEnd on my computer and trying to get Kodi/Pi to work without TVH being installed on Kodi/LibreELEC/RaspberryPi.

After installing TVH on Kodi, and using Mr. Hill's suggestions, I have TVH configged thru 192.168.xxx.xxx:9981.

The only hitch was when, after clicking Finished, up popped a login screen. I had created both the Admin ID/pw and User ID/pw. But as we are all told to never reuse passwords, I use a password manager which created the User pw. But I left it onscreen to see it. Then TVH login won't allow me to leave that tab/page so I could find the User ID/pw. But, TVH did let me close and re-enter and it all came up.

What do I do to tell TVH where to store recordings? It shows having but 6gig?
Log into the TVH dashboard then go to configuration > recordings > digital video recorder profile.

On that menu you should have three sections. The middle one (Recording file options) has the storage path as its first item. Just set the file path there to point at where you want to store the recordings. If it's somewhere external you may need to mount the drive so you can access it easily and repeatably using the same file path. It will show 6GB as presumably that's all you have left on the SD card in your pi, which by default is where it will try and save if that's where the server is installed.

Kodi Blog Posts
I was going to post a screenshot of the TVH I see on my screen. In blue text, below, is the URL to the screenshot from @KodiTV on Twitter.

No configurable tabs

Is there a way to post it? The "Image" icon link, above, allows for URL links. I don't know where or how to put that for this Forums' capability to show it to others. I posted that screenshot on Twitter @KodiTV. (it now occurs to me how meaningless this post is, if you don't have a Twitter account). I'll take any advice I can get.

Do I get to the

configuration > recordings > digital video recorder profile

from the tabs on the image I show in that Tweet? I cannot find what you reference.
I don't have one...

For these specific config questions though, you may be better referring to the TVHeadEnd wiki or the TVHeadEnd forums, especially the tutorials and set-ups section.

Kodi Blog Posts
i use this addon with my hdhomerun, recording etc works really well.

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerund...-Kodi-Leia

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting / Recording Live TV0