Kodi 19 gets a codename
It's that time again. After unleashing Kodi v18 Leia into the wild, it's time to give the upcoming Kodi 19 a codename.

As usual, our users suggested a myriad of names, most right up our alley, some less... erm... "appropriate". After compiling suggestions from the community thread, Facebook and Twitter, we arrived at the top 10 list:
  • Magneto
  • Mars
  • Marvel
  • Marvin
  • Matrix
  • Megatron
  • Merlin
  • Metropolis
  • Mordor
  • Morpheus

At first glance it seems a consensual list. Nothing out of the ordinary and, with the possible exception of "Mars", all science fiction related. Next, we needed to decide what to do: follow the users' top suggestion as we've done in the past? Have team members vote to decide the name? Or maybe pick a completely different codename for Kodi v19 – Kodi "Muppet", maybe? With so many great suggestions, we decided a team vote was the way to go.

So we did, and "Matrix" won the vote. And then all hell broke loose. Some team members argued we should be less predictable and geeky, that we could use some out-of-the-box thinking, choose something completely different, etc. What ensued was truly horrific. Geeks cursed each other, pizza boxes got thrown, beer was spilled, perfectly-formatted CSS insults flew, moms' basements destroyed all over the world. I mean, spilled beer! Utter madness.

Bottom line – with such a great list of suggestions and a team vote, we still couldn't reach an agreement. And, for a while, we actually contemplated settling for Kodi "MultiPass".
Nahh, just kidding! The users have spoken, the team has voted and, in the end, geekiness has won!

Kodi "Matrix" it is.
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
My only beef with this choice is that it probably forecloses the option of codename Neo for KODI 20. Sad
So the big feature is going to be an animated boot logo, right?  Cool

That logo is so pretty I want to see it move
(2019-04-23, 20:03)h.udo Wrote: Kodi "Matrix" it is.
A small thing that confuses me because both are same present in my memory: 

Wich Matrix is meant? The left or right Matrix?
I did not know that the Kodi Community has that much 80's Classics Arnie fans ala "Commando" to name a kodi version after it.
(2019-04-29, 00:27)chrissix Wrote: Wich Matrix is meant? The left or right

I don't think that many people had Arnie in mind when suggesting the Matrix.
Wink 
(2019-04-29, 00:32)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-04-29, 00:27)chrissix Wrote: Wich Matrix is meant? The left or right

I don't think that many people had Arnie in mind when suggesting the Matrix. 
Kodi 18 was named after a Character, so it follows 19 is named after a Character too, so I presume it is Retired United States Special Forces Colonel John Matrix
Laugh
Kodi 21RC2 Windows 10 and 11 | 21RC2 Xbox One X | 21RC2 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64
Except by that logic, v18 was named after the planet Leia, given v17 was called "Krypton"? Wink

But I suppose we have Frodo and Dharma in the list too...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-04-30, 08:38)DarrenHill Wrote: Except by that logic, v18 was named after the planet Leia
But here it is described differently: https://kodi.wiki/view/Codename_history
Quote:Leia Kodi 18.0 Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan, later known as General Leia Organa (Star Wars). [4].
BTW the Kodi 19 entry needs a wiki update there
___
I saw there that Dharma was named after something in the TvShow "Lost", until now i always thought it was named after "Dharma & Greg".  Rofl
(2019-04-30, 00:28)gujal Wrote: Kodi 18 was named after a Character, so it follows 19 is named after a Character
As a big fan of 80s crap movies i very much welcome that the new Kodi version is named after an Arnie Character. Maybe this is heralding a new era revive of the glorious 80s trash.
I am really looking forward to the first publications of kodi artwork artists:
(2019-04-30, 17:47)Captain_Pike Wrote: As a big fan of 80s crap movies i very much welcome that the new Kodi version is named after an Arnie Character. Maybe this is heralding a new era revive of the glorious 80s trash.

Fantastic Artwork there, it is my new HTPC background, Thanks! Rofl
Kodi 21RC2 Windows 10 and 11 | 21RC2 Xbox One X | 21RC2 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64
(2019-04-30, 17:47)Captain_Pike Wrote:
(2019-04-30, 00:28)gujal Wrote: Kodi 18 was named after a Character, so it follows 19 is named after a Character
As a big fan of 80s crap movies i very much welcome that the new Kodi version is named after an Arnie Character. Maybe this is heralding a new era revive of the glorious 80s trash.
not only the next Kodi gets Matrix, also Iphone gets Matrix style:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 gets a codename1