Live TV choppy on Kodi 18.2, Windows 7, NextPVR
Your reports are inconsistent, yesterday your logs for choppy playback were using timeshifting.  This variance indicates an outside factor like your network or signal is causing issues not the addon.  I did not tell you real time was choppy it should be the most stable but I posted extended timeshift could be choppy without extra pre-buffering.  I think you need to spend more time testing with the 3 live tv modes to determine if one works better for you. 

The fact that Kodi on the server isn't choppy doesn't mean too much, since you aren't streaming over a network.

Martin
(2019-04-24, 19:17)emveepee Wrote: Your reports are inconsistent, yesterday your logs for choppy playback were using timeshifting.  This variance indicates an outside factor like your network or signal is causing issues not the addon.  I did not tell you real time was choppy it should be the most stable but I posted extended timeshift could be choppy without extra pre-buffering.  I think you need to spend more time testing with the 3 live tv modes to determine if one works better for you. 

The fact that Kodi on the server isn't choppy doesn't mean too much, since you aren't streaming over a network.

Martin
OK.  Well, I thought I was being very careful about reporting my experience, evidently I read the advanced setting wrong for the NPVR addon when I made my previous post.  I apologize for any misdirection. 

I just ran another test, and obtained a curious result:  I set the advanced setting for NPVR in Kodi 18.2 back to "real-tiime".  When I exited the advanced settings, I was advised that the addon needed to restart.  I never got this message before when changing this option.  I didn't know whether that meant it would restart itself or if I needed to exit Kodi and restart it, but I decided to exit Kodi and restart it.  On restart, there was no choppiness in live TV!  I confirmed that the time shifting option was set to "real-time".  I can't explain this, and I'm way over my head technically, but in case my experiences might help others, I'll summarize them here:
  • I was running Kodi 17.6 on a Windows 7 machine connected wirelessly to V4.1.1 of NextPVR running on a Windows 10 machine.  The OTA antenna connects to this machine.  Live TV was smooth on the Windows 7 machine.  At this point, I was unaware of any timeshifting options in NPVR and did not know if timeshifting was enabled
  • I updated to Kodi 18.2 last night.  When I tried to watch live TV, I had choppiness.  I reported that problem here and was told that, based on the logs, I was using timeshifting, and that I needed to experiment with other options, especially "real-time".  (I thought I had been running "real-time" all along)
  • This morning, I updated NPVR on my Windows 10 server to 4.2.4, then tried to watch live TV again on the Windows 7 machine running Kodi 18.2.  The result was choppy video using the "real-time" option, but smooth video when the option was set to "timeshift".  I reported that here again, and was advised that my reports were inconsistent and to keep testing
  • Just now, I changed the option in NPVR running under Kodi 18.2 back to "real-time".  I got a popup message advising that that addon needed to restart.  On previous changes to this option, I did not get this message.  I shut down Kodi then restarted it.  When I watched live TV, it was smooth, with no choppiness.  I just confirmed that the option is now indeed set to "real-time"
So now it appears to me that I'm getting inconsistent test results using the same settings, but live TV is now smooth using the "real time" setting so I'm happy enough.  I'm probably doing something else wrong and I don't want to lead anyone astray, but thought my results could be useful to someone else so I've reported them here.

Thank you again for the support.

Ed

This time, there was no choppiness!  I can't explain this.  I had previously tried (today, not last night) "real time" and observed choppiness.  I set the option to "timeshifting".  The result was smooth live TV.  Then -- just now -- I set the option back to "real-time" and got the message that a
(2019-04-24, 19:17)emveepee Wrote: Your reports are inconsistent, yesterday your logs for choppy playback were using timeshifting.  This variance indicates an outside factor like your network or signal is causing issues not the addon.  I did not tell you real time was choppy it should be the most stable but I posted extended timeshift could be choppy without extra pre-buffering.  I think you need to spend more time testing with the 3 live tv modes to determine if one works better for you. 

Martin

OK.  Well, I thought I was being very careful about reporting my experience, evidently I read the advanced setting wrong for the NPVR addon when I made my previous post.  I apologize for any misdirection. 

I just ran another test, and obtained a curious result:  I set the advanced setting for NPVR in Kodi 18.2 back to "real-tiime".  When I exited the advanced settings, I was advised that the addon needed to restart.  I never got this message before when changing this option.  I didn't know whether that meant it would restart itself or if I needed to exit Kodi and restart it, but I decided to exit Kodi and restart it.  On restart, there was no choppiness in live TV!  I confirmed that the time shifting option was set to "real-time".  I can't explain this, and I'm way over my head technically, but in case my experiences might help others, I'll summarize them here:
  • I was running Kodi 17.6 on a Windows 7 machine connected wirelessly to V4.1.1 of NextPVR running on a Windows 10 machine.  The OTA antenna connects to this machine.  Live TV was smooth on the Windows 7 machine.  At this point, I was unaware of any timeshifting options in NPVR and did not know if timeshifting was enabled
  • I updated to Kodi 18.2 last night.  When I tried to watch live TV, I had choppiness.  I reported that problem here and was told that, based on the logs, I was using timeshifting, and that I needed to experiment with other options, especially "real-time".  (I thought I had been running "real-time" all along)
  • This morning, I updated NPVR on my Windows 10 server to 4.2.4, then tried to watch live TV again on the Windows 7 machine running Kodi 18.2.  The result was choppy video using the "real-time" option, but smooth video when the option was set to "timeshift".  I reported that here again, and was advised that my reports were inconsistent and to keep testing
  • Just now, I changed the option in NPVR running under Kodi 18.2 back to "real-time".  I got a popup message advising that that addon needed to restart.  On previous changes to this option, I did not get this message.  I shut down Kodi then restarted it.  When I watched live TV, it was smooth, with no choppiness.  I just confirmed that the option is now indeed set to "real-time"
So now it appears to me that I'm getting inconsistent test results using the same settings, but live TV is now smooth using the "real time" setting so I'm happy enough.  I'm probably doing something else wrong and I don't want to lead anyone astray, but thought my results could be useful to someone else so I've reported them here.

Thank you again for the support.

Ed
It is possible to change things on the setting screen but if you don't hit OK the savings won't be saved.  The restart message does need to come up for the any change to get applied. 

The "needs to restart" message comes from Kodi, you don't need to restart Kodi it is the PVR manager restarting with the mode change getting initiated.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV choppy on Kodi 18.2, Windows 7, NextPVR0