Kodi, using HDhomerun to record to NAS
Tv headend is a community package for the symbology nas so yes it’s native. (No need for docker)
No point in paying silicon dust for epg and record as tvh does this automatically. (Surprisingly simple to set up if ota epg((uk)) a little more complicated if importing an xmltv file.
I’ve used this setup for over a year. Mainly to access tv from overseas hotels and it works
Perfectly with scheduling and live tv.
You can add IPTV channels to the tvh also if needed.
(2019-06-08, 09:08)Tephlondon Wrote: Tv headend is a community package for the symbology nas so yes it’s native. (No need for docker)
No point in paying silicon dust for epg and record as tvh does this automatically. (Surprisingly simple to set up if ota epg((uk)) a little more complicated if importing an xmltv file.
I’ve used this setup for over a year. Mainly to access tv from overseas hotels and it works
Perfectly with scheduling and live tv.
You can add IPTV channels to the tvh also if needed.

Sounds perfect. Thanks for the info. Can finally stop the old windows laptop being on 24/7 just being used as a tuner server!
(2019-05-31, 16:19)DarrenHill Wrote: What you can do though is set up a TVHeadend server somewhere on your network, and go via that. That way the HDHr feeds the TVH server, and you can record via that onto your NAS and use the TVH addon to view it under Kodi.

Personally I have just that set-up (using a HDHomerun Connect) with the TVH server running on a Pi3b+ and saving onto my NAS box. All works fine, but isn't quite as simple as you are looking for unfortunately.

Would this setup work with recording to a USB hard drive connected to the same pi that's running tvheadend? I don't have a NAS but have been using a pi+external hard drive (shared over the network via samba) as an inexpensive server for music files and for hourly backups of my laptop. I'd love to also use the pi as my PVR if possible. Thanks.
Yes, you can route the directory that the saves are made to onto any mounted or connected drive (network or USB). Initially I had mine routing to a USB HD, but then switched it out to my NAS box as I started to run out of space.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-06-08, 07:17)haverer2 Wrote:
(2019-06-08, 04:22)gibxxi Wrote: If you do decide to purchase a SiliconDust PVR subscription, you can use the HDHomeRunDVR PVR Kodi addon located here:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr

You will probably need to download the SiliconDust Windows software from their forum (Not the HDHomeRun VIEW Software, rather the tools and configuration software) and set up the DVR part of the configuration tool to add DVR fuctionality / recording share on your synology. I've had it set up like this before on my QNAP TS453-Pro to do exactly what you desire with my HDHomeRun Connect Duo. I'm currently using a 3rd Party record engine, but it still uses the SiliconDust API / functionality and works in much the same way as the official record engine. For anyone else reading this (with a QNAP NAS), information on that engine / QPKG is located here:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...hp?t=31745

EDIT: It looks like the guy responsible for the QNAP QPKG (demonrik) has also made a HDHomeRun addon for Synology users. The details can be found here:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...26&t=67044

The Windows (and MacOS) setup / configuration tools for HDHomeRun devices can be found here:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...26&t=20613

The Windows software contains firmware updates for the HDHomeRun hardware which will be applied automatically on 1st run, so is highly recommended, even if you plan on using demonrik's 3rd party RECORD engine rather than SiliconDust's built-in functionality.

Dan / Gib.

Can I ask what benefit the paid subscription would give me? I don't use any paid subscription with my current usb tuner and nPVR setup... So I'm trying to get my head around why I would need to with hdhomerun? I could just keep using nPVR and use hdhomerun as the tuner as far as I'm aware? nPVR records directly to my nas no problems.
If the benefit is guide listings, these are available through my country's TV signal anyway and get downloaded by nPVR on schedule.
Thanks  

Basically put? It turns your PVR setup into a dedicated DVR, as you probably suspected. The advantage over an HDHomeRun PVR + NextPVR setup? The ability to have everything in one place, without the need to run 3rd-party software that will consume extra resources when your not using DVR functionality, or even running Kodi. So if your device performs other duties (aside from being a dedicated media center), then this would probably be an advantage. If it's a single use system, probably not so much, admittedly. You be the judge. But bear in mind, multiple pieces of software to facilitate one single task, also means multiple points of failiure when one of them suddenly doesn't work as expected any more.

Caveat Emptor.
Perhaps I've missed it somewhere along, but I see no mention of scheduling. In fact, this is the most important aspect of the HDHomeRun subscription. I previously used NextPVR and subscribed to Schedules Direct for EPG data. That alone is $25 dollars, so SD asking $35 for EPG and server based updates is more than fair. I'm confident enough with the setup, I recently upgraded to the Quatro (4 turner) system.
(2019-05-31, 16:19)DarrenHill Wrote: With just the HDHomerun you can't do it for free. To do that you need their DVR service, which is a subscription-based option.

What you can do though is set up a TVHeadend server somewhere on your network, and go via that. That way the HDHr feeds the TVH server, and you can record via that onto your NAS and use the TVH addon to view it under Kodi.

Personally I have just that set-up (using a HDHomerun Connect) with the TVH server running on a Pi3b+ and saving onto my NAS box. All works fine, but isn't quite as simple as you are looking for unfortunately.
I have a RPi3+ that I currently run Kodi (OSMC) on.  I'm fairly pleased with it, but I would like to be able to use it as a PVR for OTA as well.  I do have an HDHomerun Connect that I used to use for Live TV, but I could never figure out all of the frontend/backend PVR stuff, so I just used the "official" Silicondust addon for live TV. 

I don't have a NAS box, but I do have an old "My Passport" 1.5TB portable drive that I can connect to my RPi thru a hub to play recorded content.  I can't record onto it thru Kodi though.  I used to connect it to an old Homeworx digital converter box to record OTA and then connect the drive to the hub to play over Kodi.  It was too much constant switching of connections,  I got tired of constantly switching the connections around so I put everything but the RPi in a drawer and just connected my antenna directly to the TV (I get 64 stations). 

Is there a decent tutorial somewhere for setting up a Kodi RPi to use as a PVR for a less-than-techy user? 

I also have a brand-new RPi4+, which I believe could directly power my portable drive.  But there doesn't seem to be a stable Kodi branch for the RPi4+ yet.
The MyPassport can do it fine, albeit with a little limited storage capacity once you get going if you plan on keeping stuff.

OSMC has an addon for TVHeadEnd server I think, so just install that and configure it via its web interface (normally on port 9981). Set the TVH server to get its input from the HDHR and then use the TVH PVR addon within Kodi and you're away.

There are numerous tutorials but a search away on the internet for how to set up a TVH server.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi, using HDhomerun to record to NAS0