how to configure movies menu into categories (even using sub menu)
Hello,

I am new to Kodi and the Aeon Nox skin (literally only few days)

I really enjoy this skin and the layout options are great....BUT i am having so much trouble with organizing my movies into specific categories.

Hopefully i can explain this easily for everyone to understand...here goes.

On my computer i have my movies in separate folders (movies, kids movies, disney, anime etc.)  What i would like to do is in KODI have the same categories.  I have been trying to do it as a sub menu so that in the "MOVIES" tab if you select it, it would go to a view of all my movies, but in the sub menu you would see "KIDS MOVIES" "DISNEY" etc.  and when you click on them it would go to the list of movies.

Right now i am only able to create a sub menu item but when you click on it, it goes to the main directory where i have to select a folder where my movies are.  

in the media section under videos i have added 2 folders (movies and anime)  

can anyone please help!!  

please let me know what other information you need.  (i do not have any add ons or anything... )

Thanks in advance
(2019-06-13, 18:16)drknightx Wrote: Hello,

I am new to Kodi and the Aeon Nox skin (literally only few days)

I really enjoy this skin and the layout options are great....BUT i am having so much trouble with organizing my movies into specific categories.

Hopefully i can explain this easily for everyone to understand...here goes.

On my computer i have my movies in separate folders (movies, kids movies, disney, anime etc.)  What i would like to do is in KODI have the same categories.  I have been trying to do it as a sub menu so that in the "MOVIES" tab if you select it, it would go to a view of all my movies, but in the sub menu you would see "KIDS MOVIES" "DISNEY" etc.  and when you click on them it would go to the list of movies.

Right now i am only able to create a sub menu item but when you click on it, it goes to the main directory where i have to select a folder where my movies are.  

in the media section under videos i have added 2 folders (movies and anime)  

can anyone please help!!  

please let me know what other information you need.  (i do not have any add ons or anything... )

Thanks in advance
I have been spending a bit of time on the forum here and i found this article 

https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items/Aeon_Nox_Silvo

i am going to try this and see if it solves what i am trying to do... if anyone else has other options, please let me know.

Thanks!
once you have added your movie folders to kodi , if you look select "movies" from main item menu , then press the back arrow , you will see the movie hub menu list, click on genres to see genres list , scroll to any of the genre categories and either long press on OK on remote, or press C on keyboard to bring up content menu . the select save to favourites". Now open "skin settings"( in system sub menu), select "configure menu items" , highlight "movies" slide right and open "submenu items", you can change/add aa submenu item and replace it with the favourite/s that you previously saved.
Custom home items (wiki)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
"I have been trying to do it as a sub menu so that in the "MOVIES" tab if you select it, it would go to a view of all my movies, but in the sub menu you would see "KIDS MOVIES" "DISNEY" etc.  and when you click on them it would go to the list of movies"

If you create smart playlists from your various movie folders (as explained in https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items/Aeon_Nox_Silvo ) you can link those playlists to sub menus that you create under the "MOVIES" main menu item. You can even have playlist-specific fanarts for each playlist sub menu item.

I made separate main menu items for my smart playlists, but experimented with sub menu items as well and it worked as I described above.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
this may be the way to go
Video nodes https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_nodes

addons library node editor
pick parent node give it a name pick type
click on the new node open it and add new node
open node and click add path add path
add content gives you a way to filter the movies

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<node order="30" type="filter">
 <label>10024</label>
 <icon>DefaultMovieTitle.png</icon>
 <content>movies</content>
 <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</node>
to do this in library node editor
create new node called kids
open new node pick movies
*add rule
(title contans (name may be movies)
( title  (mpaa rating)
xml:

PG.xml

< ?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?> 
< node order="0" type="filter"> 
 <icon>defaultaddonssearch.png</icon>
< label>Rated PG</label>
< name>Rated PG</name>
 <content>movies</content> 
< match>one</match>

<rule field="mpaarating" operator="is">
        <value>Rated PG</value>

< /rule> 
< /node>
(2019-06-13, 23:00)whysoserious Wrote: "I have been trying to do it as a sub menu so that in the "MOVIES" tab if you select it, it would go to a view of all my movies, but in the sub menu you would see "KIDS MOVIES" "DISNEY" etc.  and when you click on them it would go to the list of movies"

If you create smart playlists from your various movie folders (as explained in https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items/Aeon_Nox_Silvo ) you can link those playlists to sub menus that you create under the "MOVIES" main menu item. You can even have playlist-specific fanarts for each playlist sub menu item.

I made separate main menu items for my smart playlists, but experimented with sub menu items as well and it worked as I described above.
Examples of Main Menu Item sub-menus that point to smartplaylists that are genre-specific:

Movie Main Menu Item focus:

Sub-Menu Item focus (Sci Fi Movies Smartplaylist):
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to configure movies menu into categories (even using sub menu)0