Solved MKA file tagging support in Kodi?
(2019-07-01, 17:04)DaveBlake Wrote: Meanwhile chatting to Spiff he confirmed that ffmpeg has issues with parsing Matroska tags, in particular it is not picking up the ALBUM tag.

I was mucking around with TagLib# 2.2.0 beta today and it reads the ALBUM, ALBUMARTIST and YEAR tags (from the Matroska '50' node) but it doesn't read any of the song specific tags (ARTIST, TITLE, GENRE, MUSICBRAINZ IDs etc from the 30 node). So between ffmpeg and TagLib they can read all the info needed. But that doesn't solve the issue for Kodi....

EDIT: MKVExtract is the only one that reads all the Matroska tags. ffprobe, ffmpeg, taglib#, MediaInfo all read one tag node or the other but not both.

So this is in quite a mess as you mentioned yesterday Dave. I guess Kodi has a good relationship with the ffmpeg team. Maybe a dev here can ask them to prioritise a fix (for Kodi 19.0 at latest).

I"m going to try using CUE files next (and I'll install the latest Millhouse Linux build with the TrueHD passthrough fix and test)
@DaveBlake: Your TrueHD fix works in last nights Milhouse LibreElec build (Kodi 19). Thanks! Both show correct codec on my AVR display.

Please add to 18.4 when it is forked. 😀

There’s a minor issue with Kodi 18.3 (and 19.0 alpha) where the UI showing play time is showing the seconds going up and down extremely fast for DTSHD (and both DTSHD and TrueHD in 19.0 alpha). The progress bar at top of music screen is also jumping forward and back as it progresses.

EDIT: Above now resolved by setting Kodi's TV interface to 1080p 60Hz (originally tested with it set to 2160p 24Hz)

I’m using the Aeon Nox Silvo in 18.3. But probably not skin related.
(2019-07-02, 07:34)HomerJau Wrote: @DaveBlake: Your TrueHD fix works in last nights Milhouse LibreElec build (Kodi 19). Thanks! Both show correct codec on my AVR display.

Please add to 18.4 when it is forked. 😀
Thanks for testing, feel free to comment on Git. I'm away a couple of days but I'm do the backport on my return.

(2019-07-02, 07:34)HomerJau Wrote: There’s a minor issue with Kodi 18.3 (and 19.0 alpha) where the UI showing play time is showing the seconds going up and down extremely fast for DTSHD (and both DTSHD and TrueHD in 19.0 alpha). The progress bar at top of music screen is also jumping forward and back as it progresses.

I will have a look on my return, but no promises. Get that dev env setup Garry and have a go yourself Smile
(2019-07-02, 07:34)HomerJau Wrote: There’s a minor issue with Kodi 18.3 (and 19.0 alpha) where the UI showing play time is showing the seconds going up and down extremely fast for DTSHD (and both DTSHD and TrueHD in 19.0 alpha). The progress bar at top of music screen is also jumping forward and back as it progresses.

Skin should have no effect on that, but just to quickly eliminate it should you switch to Estuary just to confirm.

To see if this affects all passthrough types it would be great if you were able to test with DTS and Dolby Digital if you have any music with those audio types.

To see if this is specific to music paplayer could you test video with DTS-HD and TrueHD audio tracks? this is to see if progress bar is performing ok when videoplayer is used.
(2019-07-02, 11:03)jjd-uk Wrote:

Skin should have no effect on that, but just to quickly eliminate it should you switch to Estuary just to confirm.

To see if this affects all passthrough types it would be great if you were able to test with DTS and Dolby Digital if you have any music with those audio types.

To see if this is specific to music paplayer could you test video with DTS-HD and TrueHD audio tracks? this is to see if progress bar is performing ok when videoplayer is used.

Ok. Will do tomorrow, so expect a response with results of all media types mentioned within 24hrs.
(2019-07-02, 11:03)jjd-uk Wrote: Skin should have no effect on that, but just to quickly eliminate it should you switch to Estuary just to confirm.
The audio play time/progress bar issue is same using Estuary

(2019-07-02, 11:03)jjd-uk Wrote: To see if this affects all passthrough types it would be great if you were able to test with DTS and Dolby Digital if you have any music with those audio types.
No problem with play time/progress bar using standard DTS and Dolby Digital audio types in an mka file

(2019-07-02, 11:03)jjd-uk Wrote: To see if this is specific to music paplayer could you test video with DTS-HD and TrueHD audio tracks? this is to see if progress bar is performing ok when videoplayer is used. 
No problem with play time/progress bar using any video (MKV) file with various codecs

NEW ISSUE:
Kodi 18.3. Music Videos from DVDs (NTSC and PAL) are way out of video/audio sync. In fact the video appears to play in slow motion. These are MKV videos with DTS or AC3 sound. The same MKV files play correctly on Kodi 18.2. (and all previous Kodi versions since Kodi 15 when I started using Kodi)

EDIT: The issue above regarding DVD sync was solved when I set Kodi's TV setting to 1080p 60Hz (it was set to 2160p 24Hz)

NOTE: All above tests on Kodi 18.3 on Intel NUC with LibreElec (LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.1.001)
Thanks for that, I just wanted to be sure it was unusual behaviour on the music GUI side of things, could you raise an Issue on Github to keep track of it in case Dave does not get to time to take a look.
(2019-07-03, 11:39)jjd-uk Wrote: Thanks for that, I just wanted to be sure it was unusual behaviour on the music GUI side of things, could you raise an Issue on Github to keep track of it in case Dave does not get to time to take a look.

Will do. Thanks.
(2019-07-03, 11:39)jjd-uk Wrote: Thanks for that, I just wanted to be sure it was unusual behaviour on the music GUI side of things, could you raise an Issue on Github to keep track of it in case Dave does not get to time to take a look.

Done. I raised to PRs:

Music GUI play time/progress bar:
PR16347

Matroska (.mka) Metadata: Missing Album tags
PR16349
Please get a debug log for the progress bar issue has it may hold clues as to what the issue is. Although you've linked to test files (thanks for that) there's no guarantee it will be reproducible on all systems.
(2019-07-04, 03:09)jjd-uk Wrote: Please get a debug log for the progress bar issue has it may hold clues as to what the issue is. Although you've linked to test files (thanks for that) there's no guarantee it will be reproducible on all systems.

I've closed the issue (PR16347) regarding play time/progress bar increments 'jumping'.

I just tried to repeat for a debug log and issue was gone. It must have been fixed when I reset Kodi's TV setting to 1080p 60Hz (it was previously set to 2160p 24Hz which caused this problem and the video/audio sync issue I mentioned earlier in this thread).
I can report that Kodi will load the basic album and track info via a CUE file into its music library and play .mka files. So this is my workaround until the ffmpeg tagging is fixed.

Example (INXS - KICK 30 with individual .mka song files - only first 3 songs shown:

REM GENRE "Rock"
REM DATE 1987
PERFORMER "INXS"
TITLE "Kick 30"
FILE "01. Guns In The Sky.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Guns In The Sky"
    PERFORMER "INXS"
    INDEX 01  00:00:00
FILE "02. New Sensation.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "New Sensation"
    PERFORMER "INXS"
FILE "03. Devil Inside.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Devil Inside"
    PERFORMER "INXS"
I’m taking a couple of posts from the Kodi bug tracker thread on the Matroska tagging issue so it can be discussed outside that PR. No need to make that a complex discussion.

@henkypunky said:
Wondering about this as I recently retrofitted tags to my mka files with foobar2000 and the album titles are extracted as expected. Just double checked with mp3Tag, the tag being used is ALBUM. This is true for Kodi 18.3 on vero4k as well as 18.2 on Fire TV stick 4k.

@DaveBlake said:
@henkypunky are you are saying you have .mka files that Kodi v18 is correctly reading album name from? If so then can you provide an example music file. I suspect that it may have ID3 v2 metadata and not Matroska, but need to see the file.

Foobar is probably not following the Matroska tagging spec. The Album tag is most likely being added in the 30 group and therefore gets read by ffmpeg in Kodi. (Since Matroska tools will add any key/value pair Foobar is just adding Album). If so, using Foobar to tag .mka files will work in the short term, with current ffmpeg version used in Kodi, but will fail once ffmpeg conforms to the Matroska tagging spec in the future.

Of course, if the Foobar tagging is used now, we could also use Mp3tag to add correct Matroska tagging so mka files will be compatible in the future as well as the current ffmpeg implementation. But that’s a cludge.

All will be known once henkypunky’s sample file is available for testing.
I can confirm Foobar is reading the Matroska tags added with Mp3tag (ALBUM is the Matroska type 50 group tag TITLE). Foobar also saves changes made in its UI to the Matroska type 50 group tag TITLE.

No changes in what ffmpeg sees in its metadata list. Not sure why Kodi would load ALBUM or any other group 50 tag after using Foobar?

VLC also reads the Matroska group 50 tags.

I wonder what component/tool Mp3tag, VLC and Foobar are using to read Matroska tags?
(2019-07-05, 03:17)HomerJau Wrote: I’m taking a couple of posts from the Kodi bug tracker thread on the Matroska tagging issue so it can be discussed outside that PR. No need to make that a complex discussion.
Good idea Garry.

I have to say I'm getting confused. If @henkypenky has Matroska files that Kodi correctly gets the album name from then I really want to see one. I hope he reads this and responds somewhere.
Quote:I wonder what component/tool Mp3tag, VLC and Foobar are using to read Matroska tags?
A good question. Mp3tag might be open source, worth a little digging (or asking them).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKA file tagging support in Kodi?0