Tvheadend Command hello failed: No response received - needs a re-install on every bo
Environment:

Raspberry Pi 3b running LibreElec 9.0.2 & Kodi 18.2.
Addons: HTS Tvheadend Server 4.2.7~LibreELEC Tvh-addon v9.0.118,
TVheadend Client 4.4.18.1.
No login credenitals are defined for TVheadend to connect to the server. It uses the default.

Symptoms:

1. System works fine for a week or so; I shut the system down each night via the system TV menu.
Then one day the TV viewer & PVR fail to connect with PVR - showing 0% progress.
This can be fixed by re-installing TV headend Server, but next reboot it will be broken again.
Once this starts it has to be done every boot.

2. Usually selecting a TV recording to play for the first time after a boot, causes a long delay & the "waiting" animation on screen.
Sometimes it will eventually play. Other times I can press BACK then try again and it will play.
Yet other times it will never recover and although it responds to some actions with a system "I head you" noise, and volume can be changed, for example, a reboot will be needed to regain enough control to use the system.
A few of these forced reboots will render the system unbootable and a re-install will be needed.
Diagnostics:

Looking at the Kodi logs always shows five sets of this pair of messages, which look highly relevant to the first problem:
ERROR: AddOnLog: Tvheadend HTSP Client:: pvr.hts - Command hello failed: No response received
ERROR: AddOnLog: Tvheadend HTSP Client:: pvr.hts - failed to send hello

So I set up logon credentials - no change. I un-ticked digest authentication with no change.

Here's a recent system log: https://paste.kodi.tv/suxaqunahu

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
(2019-07-05, 13:39)ChrisKlondike Wrote:  
Anyone?
(2019-07-05, 13:39)ChrisKlondike Wrote: This can be fixed by re-installing TV headend Server, but next reboot it will be broken again.

That sounds to me as if the TVH server isn't installing properly and/or there is some incorrect file that isn't being overwritten when you re-install it. TVH should start as a service during boot. Have you tried re-imaging the flashcard with libreElec again, to rule out some corruption on the card ?

(2019-07-05, 13:39)ChrisKlondike Wrote: Usually selecting a TV recording to play for the first time after a boot, causes a long delay & the "waiting" animation on screen.
Sometimes it will eventually play. Other times I can press BACK then try again and it will play.

Could be caused by Kodi waiting on TVH to finish starting up - The error messages would also indicate that TVH hasn't finished/isn't starting when the addon wants to communicate with the server. Think I'd start with a fresh image on a different flashcard and see what happens with that.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-07-10, 11:41)black_eagle Wrote:
(2019-07-05, 13:39)ChrisKlondike Wrote: This can be fixed by re-installing TV headend Server, but next reboot it will be broken again.

That sounds to me as if the TVH server isn't installing properly and/or there is some incorrect file that isn't being overwritten when you re-install it. TVH should start as a service during boot. Have you tried re-imaging the flashcard with libreElec again, to rule out some corruption on the card ?
(2019-07-05, 13:39)ChrisKlondike Wrote: Usually selecting a TV recording to play for the first time after a boot, causes a long delay & the "waiting" animation on screen.

Could be caused by Kodi waiting on TVH to finish starting up - The error messages would also indicate that TVH hasn't finished/isn't starting when the addon wants to communicate with the server. Think I'd start with a fresh image on a different flashcard and see what happens with that. 

black eagle thanks for your help.

On your first comment, yes, re-installing the image fixes this for a few days, but it comes back without fail.
On your second comment, no, whenever I apply the re-install TVH fix (i.e. every morning) I check that it works, so when I come to play a recoding for real, everything must have been initialised long ago.

So - no solutions yet, but I thank you for your time.
(2019-07-10, 13:08)ChrisKlondike Wrote: On your first comment, yes, re-installing the image fixes this for a few days, but it comes back without fail.

I'd definitely suspect the card then.

If it were one of my Pi's I'd put a fresh image on a brand-new card and just leave the Pi running for a week, see if the issue occurs. If yes, then it's much less likely (although still possible) to be corruption and some system logs might reveal something. If no, then I'd start shutting down the Pi each evening and see if that causes it to re-occur.

FWIW, neither of my Pi's are shutdown in the normal course of events. Only in the event of a hard crash are they rebooted, but this happens very rarely.

Perhaps another point to consider is the size of the card too. I've had instances of both Pi's behaving weirdly (not at the same time or with quite the same symptoms) and on both occasions it turned out that the tf card was full.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-07-10, 15:27)black_eagle Wrote:
(2019-07-10, 13:08)ChrisKlondike Wrote: On your first comment, yes, re-installing the image fixes this for a few days, but it comes back without fail.

If it were one of my Pi's I'd put a fresh image on a brand-new card and just leave the Pi running for a week, see if the issue occurs. If yes, then it's much less likely (although still possible) to be corruption and some system logs might reveal something. If no, then I'd start shutting down the Pi each evening and see if that causes it to re-occur.

FWIW, neither of my Pi's are shutdown in the normal course of events. Only in the event of a hard crash are they rebooted, but this happens very rarely.

Perhaps another point to consider is the size of the card too. I've had instances of both Pi's behaving weirdly (not at the same time or with quite the same symptoms) and on both occasions it turned out that the tf card was full. 
The problem with replacing the card is that I believe the recording database is on it, and will be wasdhed away if I replace it. So all my recordings meta data will be gone. Or does the Backup addon enable me to restore that... OK I'll look into it. Thanks again.
(2019-07-10, 20:12)ChrisKlondike Wrote:
(2019-07-10, 15:27)black_eagle Wrote:

The problem with replacing the card is that I believe the recording database is on it, and will be wasdhed away if I replace it. So all my recordings meta data will be gone. Or does the Backup addon enable me to restore that... OK I'll look into it. Thanks again. 
Just an update for anyone with the same problem.

I discolvered that if I just wait a few minutes this problem simply goes away. TVheadend client eventually connects and all is well. The HELLO FAILED messages are still present in the log, and you can remove them with the re-installl - but ignoring and waiting works for me now (it didn't before). I think (but I might be wrong) that I changed an option to wait until something started before starting something else. I know that's pretty unhelpful, but it might be just helpful enough to get someone going.
I'm so glad to be over this I just want to forget it.
I get exactly the same problem, same error messages in the logs.

(PVR is starting 0%...)

Will give it half an hour and see if it resolves itself.
I am also getting the (PVR is starting 0%) issue

This is what I know:
-There are two profiles on my kodi box, one for the kids and one for me and my wife. TV works fine on the kids profile, but not mine.. setting are identical.
-if I restart the front-end client in the plugin section, it works again.
-sceduled recordings doesn't seem to work anymore, which makes no sense since the backend is on my NAS and I can record manually from there. Recordings were also set up on the backend... So it may be unrelated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend Command hello failed: No response received - needs a re-install on every bo0