Ghost files in samba share
Question 
While checking the logs, I found that the videoscanner could not add files to the library:
WARNING: No information found for item 'smb://nas/shared_user/video/M6QIK6~U/M6QIK6~U.AVI', it won't be added to the library.

However that file is not existing on the server, not as a regular file, not a link or hidden.
When I look on the share from the Kodi GUI, I do see these files and they seem to correspond to real files in that share. Trying to delete them, I get a permission error.

Does anyone know what this is and how to remove the files?
Anyone?
(2019-07-24, 00:50)chris42 Wrote: Anyone?
So I figured what this is. Apparently kodi/samba has troubles with certain filenames including a ":". In my filesystem on the server they look all fine, when mounting via samba, you get weird filenames. Only way I could solve it to rename the files via samba, not on the server command line.
The colon is not a valid character in Samba filenames. If you create a file containing colons in a Linux filesystem (which is perfectly fine) but then share the file using Samba the shared filename - the name visible to Samba clients - will be a manufactured "mangled" filename such as M6QIK6~U.AVI as this allows the Samba client to list the file which it otherwise couldn't because of the colons. Obviously this on-the-fly conversion/mangling causes all sorts of problems so it's best to avoid colons (and thus filename mangling) if you plan on sharing your files using Samba. Glad you got to the bottom of it.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Check the filename. I have the same problem if I add a space at the end of the filename on my Mac. KODI - which runs on a Raspberry PI (OSMC) - then displays the folder as weird. Generally you should not use special characters like ":"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ghost files in samba share0