how to run kodi minimized in tray ?
Hello,

using linux mint (or ubuntu)

how to run kodi minimized in tray ?

currently im using AllTray to minimize Kodi in system tray, but i really tired doing this manually every time i start working.

is there any param to run kodi minimized like --minimized or smth ?

i start kodi this way: 
cpp:
/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=kodi tv.kodi.Kodi
Not sure about starting minimized but there is a built-in called minimize: https://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_built-in_functions

If you have control enabled on the kodi, you would run the following:
Code:
kodi-send -a "Minimize"

You could probably script something that launches kodi, waits a few sec, then runs that command.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2019-08-18, 13:21)graysky Wrote: Not sure about starting minimized but there is a built-in called minimize: https://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_built-in_functions

If you have control enabled on the kodi, you would run the following:
Code:
kodi-send -a "Minimize"

You could probably script something that launches kodi, waits a few sec, then runs that command. 

at the moment i ended up with this solution, using kdocker tool

cpp:
kdocker -n Kodi -i /usr/share/app-install/icons/kodi.png -d 40 kodi

which catch it by window name "Kodi" and minimize to tray.
this is like a trick, and pretty strange that kodi doesnt have minimize to try functionality (some option like if you close window you want exit kodi or minimize to tray)
Kodi is not designed for your usecase. It was designed to run an interface controllable by a remote from 5 meters away.

That's why all those pseudo server headless hacks are nothing else then hacks.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-08-18, 17:00)fritsch Wrote: Kodi is not designed for your usecase. It was designed to run an interface controllable by a remote from 5 meters away.

Kodi has possibility to be a UPNP server, so it is designed to be it.
Kodi has releases for different OSes like windows, mac or linux where exist tray

i dont think Kodi was designed to be used as an enterprise solution with the dedicated server for it own (probably im wrong) BUT any ways most of us uses it as a convenient alternative to the dedicated upnp servers and most of us uses it on our home PC or laptops which we use for different needs.

It is pretty obvious to have possibility to minimize it in tray (where possible) so it wont attract our attention while we are working or doing our stuff on the computer while kodi works as upnp server.

where im wrong and why my use case is not standard ?
(2019-08-18, 17:00)fritsch Wrote: Kodi is not designed for your usecase. It was designed to run an interface controllable by a remote from 5 meters away.

let me explain myself (i cant find possibility to edit message)

i have a stationary PC which i use for my every day job as a developer (or could be just home PC for playing games)
i have linux installed on it and i wasnt able to find more convenient in use UPNP server for linux than kodi.
all i need is to join external HDD and i have access to media library without need to all the time setup smth, without need to refresh some indexes in case some new media added and so on 
i have some TVs in different rooms, some of them are modern some outdated but with UPNP support
children, wife and me have different devices like mentioned TVs, laptops, tablets, phones with different OSes like windows, android, ios and something unknown on LG TV 6 years old
and it extremely convenient to have everywhere and on every platform one application for media needs.

what is wrong with my use case i dont know and why not just add an native option to start kodi minimized in tray + possibility to minimize it in tray (even if you think it wasnt designed for this but many of us using it the way i have described simply because it is great and very convenient use case and great application)
(2019-08-18, 18:04)seugenev Wrote: i have linux installed on it and i wasnt able to find more convenient in use UPNP server for linux than kodi.
all i need is to join external HDD and i have access to media library without need to all the time setup smth, without need to refresh some indexes in case some new media added and so on
@seugenev - If all you want is a uPNP server, you have many options that might be better for your use-case.  Running Kodi seems like overkill for you: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lis...ia_servers
(2019-08-18, 18:32)graysky Wrote:
(2019-08-18, 18:04)seugenev Wrote: i have linux installed on it and i wasnt able to find more convenient in use UPNP server for linux than kodi.
@seugenev - If all you want is a uPNP server, you have many options that might be better for your use-case.  Running Kodi seems like overkill for you: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lis...ia_servers 
i tried all of them and no one was so convenient as Kodi + it is a player as well.
more over
some of them not UPNP,
some requires hard setup,
some drop connection,
others not visible by all devices,
stupid interfaces,
some required internet connection,
for others i have to restart them when i add new media
and so on ...

believe me i tried all of them before i found Kodi and NOTHING was as convenient as HMS/Kodi for windows and ONLY kodi for linux where all i need is just plug in my external HDD.
and more over same software for all platforms as media player ... why do i need anything else ?
I read your post as you just needed uPNP/had filesharing through other means.  No mention of player so I made that suggestion.  If you vetted other options fine, just wanted to make you aware.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to run kodi minimized in tray ?0