Linux Stream Linux Desktop to TV
Hi

If there is a way to wireless stream Linux Desktop to Smart TV (supporting Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Miracast) using Kodi, it would be great somebody explains me how to configure to get this working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thx
If your TV is UPnP/DLNA capable then yes. Kodi is capable of acting as a UPnP client and server. See: https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Services/UPnP_DLNA

Enable UpnP, also enable "Look for remote players"

Then navigate to your movie library, navigate to a movie you would like to watch, open the context menu and choose "Play with". If your TV gets recognized as a 'remote player' then your TV will be listed there.
Thx DaVu

Kodi 18.3

Can't find "Look for remote players". I switched on "Announce services to other systems" under "Settings/Services/General".
Also no "Play with" item on context menu for the mp4 file.

But however, i don't want to stream a video from inside kodi. I would like to stream my linux desktop to tv to explain somebody how to do some work.

thx again
Install steam on Linux, and on the tv see if you can install steamlink on the device. They have steam for android, iOS, linux etc. you should be able to stream your desktop.
(2019-08-25, 23:18)aakerbeere Wrote: Can't find "Look for remote players"

If you can't see that option, please check your settings level to be "expert". Otherwise that option is not visible.
(2019-08-27, 04:30)ozkhan1 Wrote: Install steam on Linux, and on the tv see if you can install steamlink on the device. They have steam for android, iOS, linux etc. you should be able to stream your desktop.

thx ozkhan1

I got it by using my android phone as intermediate and then miracast. I don`t know how to install steamlink on Sony Bravia (5 years old). If somebody could tell me it would be great.

cheers
(2019-08-27, 06:44)DaVu Wrote:

If you can't see that option, please check your settings level to be "expert". Otherwise that option is not visible. 
thx DaVu

As "Expert" i could set "Look for remote players" but yet no "Play with" to choose from context when right clicking the mp4-file.
I'm very poor beginner to Kodi and remember i don't want to stream a video from inside Kodi but the Linux desktop itself to explain somebody how to do some work.

thx again and cheers
(2019-08-27, 17:09)aakerbeere Wrote:
(2019-08-27, 06:44)DaVu Wrote:

thx DaVu

As "Expert" i could set "Look for remote players" but yet no "Play with" to choose from context when right clicking the mp4-file.
I'm very poor beginner to Kodi and remember i don't want to stream a video from inside Kodi but the Linux desktop itself to explain somebody how to do some work.

thx again and cheers 
DaVu

My TV does recognize Kodi as DLNA source and i can play the video this way. But to do what I want I need Kodi to configure the desktop as source.
Any hint?

thx
What you are trying to do, won’t be accomplished via Kodi, unfortunately. You want to stream your entire desktop and it’s possible, as far as my knowledge is concerned, through moonlight game streaming (if you have an nvidia GPU, if not, steam will have to do or possibly VLC. So you can install any of those on your linux desktop.

Then on your tv, you need something that Can act as the client or the receiver and therein is the problem. Your 5 year old smart tv may not have the capability to do it. Under its smart tv apps, you can look for steam or steamlink and install it. If not, i am afraid you will need a device that has steamlink app, such as the appletv, nvidia shield or firetv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream Linux Desktop to TV0