"Write clean NFO..."
Hello,

I'm struggling with the following option:

"Write clean NFO (instead of importing unknown tags from a existing NFO)"

Currently, with the above option not selected, when I scrape a new movie (or TV show) an existing NFO file for the to be scraped movie or episode is ignored and overwritten by a new one created by TMM with the tags from the scraper page.
I thought this option would use the tags from an existing NFO file and add only other tags from the scraper page.

As I have a lot of existing nfo files with custom plot descriptions it would be painful to add them manually...

I couldn't find any further explanation of this option and in the forum I found only one thread which has no answer (Is there an advantage to use all of the three nfo files?)

Anyone could explain be so kind to explain me the meaning and use of this option? (I'm using TMM v3.0.3 on macos)
If wished I can add an example nfo but I doubt its a problem with the existing NFO file as I use them successfully since long time in other contexts.

Thanks in advance
goddert
as in the description: "Write clean NFO (instead of importing unknown tags from a existing NFO)" tmm works as follows:

- if activated: tmm only writes well known tags (aka the tags which tmm can fill) - any other tags in the NFO will be dropped
- if not activated: tmm tries to read all unknown tags and rewrites it to the NFO file after tmm filled all well known tgs from tmm itself

in your case you need to understand the workflow:

a) any pre-exisitng NFO will be parsed by tmm in the "update data source" step and the values will be stored in the tmm database
b) if you scrape any show/episode with the plot field activated, tmm fetches the data from the online source an OVERWRITES the values in the database.
c) at the end of scraping, the data from the database is written to the NFO files.

as you may see, your custom plot is probably overwritten in b) and not in NFO writing
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Thank you very much for your answer.

So in most cases when I have a pre-existing NFO file with, theoretically, only the tag plot I've almost no possibility to avoid overwriting this same tag in step b)? If I remember correctly, not every relevant dialog in b) offers the possibility to exclude some tags from being overwritten in the database and in the end of b) the tag plot is overwritten.
Problem is that I have to do step b) in order to get all the other tags not present in the pre-existing NFO file. As I understood there are non possibilities to keep locked some tags from being overwritten. In view of your explanation next days I'll repeat some tests I did yesterday and try to find some work around to keep the content of a pre existing tag. Possibly I'll come back with other questions.

Maybe you are aware of a workflow which would come up to my wished behavior?

Thanks again
Goddert

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Write clean NFO..."0