Jukebox coin acceptor, pay to play for Kodi
Hi, would it be possible to connect a coin acceptor to Kodi or other pay to play credit function? I would like to make a real cool jukebox for public use, any one out there that can help?
Thanks
Thread moved to hardware, as that would probably be a better area for this.

Something should be possible using a platform like a Pi with the acceptor set up via the GPIO pins and using a python script or similar to "remotely" control Kodi playback. Locking it down might be more problematic, but kiosk mode or a specially designed skin could help there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-09-11, 12:32)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to hardware, as that would probably be a better area for this.

Something should be possible using a platform like a Pi with the acceptor set up via the GPIO pins and using a python script or similar to "remotely" control Kodi playback. Locking it down might be more problematic, but kiosk mode or a specially designed skin could help there.

Thanks Darren,
I thought first to do the thread to hardware but there are so much more involved in software development. Basically is all software if you think about it. 

Besides connecting it to a coin acceptor, i would need like you say a kiosk mode, a special designed skin where public could search for available tracks and on background an admin panel to configure everything. song price, how many times a song is played... etc.

Who could i engage to develop such thing? I did try to write Kodi team but i got not reply yet. 
Any person or company i could contact?
Ive got a super cool jukebox concept in mind, that i cant reveal at this stage or here.
I tested a prototype in public several times and i guaranty you that the public is ready for this device.
The prototype im referring too, is far away from doing or looking like the final product. 
Its a original machine... nothing like it in the World.
I wish i could say more but i cant.

You think we can involve Kodi team to do it?
To be honest I think Kodi might be overkill for this. You might be better with a more simple and focused audio solution like Volumio or even just MPD (on the Pi platform anyway, to allow simple connection of the coin mechanism to the GPIO). Both have simple python interfaces (indeed the former is based on the latter as its player engine), and could be coupled together with GPIO and a suitable GUI to do what you want.

I think there have been similar project in the past I think, a quick search on Google might confirm that but I'm sure I've seen similar around. Or look on places like the Pi Foundation forum or Reddit.

It's not somthing the team as an entity would be interested in being directly involved with, but we wouldn't stop you doing so. The kiosk mode is already a feature of Kodi, but the skin would as you say need to be tailor made. There are several skilled skin authors on this forum (both team members and non team members) who might be interested in that as a personal project, depending on what you'd be willing to offer. But that's between you and them.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
super thanks,
very helpful info
let me have a look and study  the 2 options that you gave Volumio and MPD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jukebox coin acceptor, pay to play for Kodi0