• 3(current)
Android 2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z
New user here Blush

First of all a big thank you for the people showing this device some love, trying to implement new features, and sorting bugs out.

I ordered mine a few days ago. By the time it arrives this should be a fact Wink

Still i ask:

For someone who needs the device for streaming (4k hdr/dv, atmos), and some retrogaming, would it have made sense to invest more in the shield pro (long term)?

Take care y'all
Hello
Has anyone done a direct comparison between Kodi on the new Cube and Coreelec on the Odroid-N2? Which one is snappier when using heavier skins?
(2019-12-01, 22:13)horstepipe Wrote: Hello
Has anyone done a direct comparison between Kodi on the new Cube and Coreelec on the Odroid-N2? Which one is snappier when using heavier skins?

So does this device support lossless passthrough in Kodi? (DTS-HD/TrueHD) It appears at least one person has gotten some varied results. If it does then I might purchase this over the Odroid N2 which I was planning on purchasing anyways.
loving the cube! Runs so much faster than my Sony android TV. I just wish Alexa voice control worked in kodi, but that's Amazon being Amazon...
(2019-12-04, 00:43)Wagg Wrote:

So does this device support lossless passthrough in Kodi? (DTS-HD/TrueHD) It appears at least one person has gotten some varied results. If it does then I might purchase this over the Odroid N2 which I was planning on purchasing anyways.
Passthrough with Fire TV?
I do not think so.
DD+, DTS, AC3 work with Leia, but have sync issues.

DTS-HD HR with nightly or my firetv builds. Those are in sync as well. These changes were too intrusive for backport cause the old amlogic hacks stand in the way. Those were already removed in nightly, though dropping support for 3+ year old broken FW devices ... we don't do for Leia, cause of the whining that will start heavily.

Another good example of workarounds for broken firmware making trouble for new ones.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-12-05, 08:27)fritsch Wrote: DD+, DTS, AC3 work with Leia, but have sync issues.

DTS-HD HR with nightly or my firetv builds. Those are in sync as well. These changes were too intrusive for backport cause the old amlogic hacks stand in the way. Those were already removed in nightly, though dropping support for 3+ year old broken FW devices ... we don't do for Leia, cause of the whining that will start heavily.

Another good example of workarounds for broken firmware making trouble for new ones.

2019 Cube runs an AMLogic modified v4.9 Kernel, same as the new AMLogic S905X2, S905X3, S905D3, S922X and A311D Android devices.
I get the same DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD - Kodi v19 audio limitations as Cube, when running Android TV Pie on the Odroid N2:

https://paste.kodi.tv/ohulivojaz.kodi

(2019-12-04, 00:43)Wagg Wrote: So does this device support lossless passthrough in Kodi? (DTS-HD/TrueHD) It appears at least one person has gotten some varied results. If it does then I might purchase this over the Odroid N2 which I was planning on purchasing anyways.

With Kodi v19 Matrix nightly (or @fritschfiretv Kodi v18.5):

DTS-HD HRA = Yes (not a lot of HRA content around these days)

DTS-HD MA 7.1 = NO (you get 5.1 DTS Core only)

Dolby TrueHD 7.1 = NO (5.1 DD Core only)

W.

(2019-12-05, 10:42)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-05, 08:27)fritsch Wrote: DD+, DTS, AC3 work with Leia, but have sync issues.

2019 Cube runs an AMLogic modified v4.9 Kernel, same as the new AMLogic S905X2, S905X3, S905D3, S922X and A311D Android devices.
I get the same DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD - Kodi v19 audio limitations as Cube, when running Android TV Pie on the Odroid N2:

https://paste.kodi.tv/ohulivojaz.kodi

(2019-12-04, 00:43)Wagg Wrote: So does this device support lossless passthrough in Kodi? (DTS-HD/TrueHD) It appears at least one person has gotten some varied results. If it does then I might purchase this over the Odroid N2 which I was planning on purchasing anyways.

With Kodi v19 Matrix nightly (or @fritschfiretv Kodi v18.5):

DTS-HD HRA = Yes (not a lot of HRA content around these days)

DTS-HD MA 7.1 = NO (you get 5.1 DTS Core only)

Dolby TrueHD 7.1 = NO (5.1 DD Core only)

W. 

Yes. That's my expectation. I still find it totally fucked up - that the old workarounds we have for AML devices now kill modern devices ... that's just not fair. Good that these things are gone in v19.
I currently work with google to get the IEC 8 / 192 official. When this has happened, we will get those two on "standard" boxes as well.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-12-04, 00:43)Wagg Wrote:

Further to this post, you might find the Android Kodi audio results of the S922X chipset equipped, quality UGOOS AM6, that can also Dual Boot Android Pie 9.0 / CoreELEC Kodi interesting.
See the following thread for details:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/35qylvm3

Thank God for @fritsch and his firetv builds!

Wouldn't have been able to enjoy my new cube without them! - couldn't even get MrMC to work with audio....

Have a great new year's eve mate Smile

Z.
@fritsch
Hi, of the three Fire TV versions you've posted here: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/
Which one would you recommend for the Fire Tv Cube 1st gen and for the 2nd gen?

Thank you for all your work!
I don't recommend the shitty version for any device as it might harm your hearing.

The most modern cube will work with fritschfiretv just fine, I also only recommend that over standard Leia cause it fixes some issues cause of legacy hacks for old and broken firmwares in Leia itself that we already dropped in matrix. The current cube has a nice and well working firmware. Besides TrueHD everything works.

If you have a device that is cripled, e.g. no dts support whatever you need to workaround this broken FW with the shitty version, on your own risk.
(2020-01-28, 07:34)fritsch Wrote: I don't recommend the shitty version for any device as it might harm your hearing.

The most modern cube will work with fritschfiretv just fine, I also only recommend that over standard Leia cause it fixes some issues cause of legacy hacks for old and broken firmwares in Leia itself that we already dropped in matrix. The current cube has a nice and well working firmware. Besides TrueHD everything works.

If you have a device that is cripled, e.g. no dts support whatever you need to workaround this broken FW with the shitty version, on your own risk.

Thank you for your reply. I'll try this: kodi-20200125-562cefc1-fritschfiretv-armeabi-v7a.apk on both.
Make sure to check the possibility to switch between Android RAW and IEC Raw of kodi which that version includes.

For the old version of the cube I don't know think you can be too lucky cause its firmware is quite shitty.
(2020-01-29, 07:45)fritsch Wrote: Make sure to check the possibility to switch between Android RAW and IEC Raw of kodi which that version includes.

For the old version of the cube I don't know think you can be too lucky cause its firmware is quite shitty.

Sure, thanks, I'll have to check it all out. For now I just plan to use it as a basic media player. Installed it on the 1st cube and right away I got sound properly synced, something I never had with the "normal" kodi!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z0