Kodi 18.4 - Subtitles freeze video
Hello,
I have a GooBang Doo ABOX A1 Plus running Kodi 18.4
I have a problem that I did not have with Kodi 17: the video saccade or freeze when I activate the subtitles of a MKV (srt or other).

This problem occurs in Kodi 18.3 too.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
I've been having the same problem for awhile. In the beginning I thought it was kodi having trouble with some file types but eventually narrowed it down to the subtitles.
I tried messing with algorithmdirtyregions, nofliptimeout and smartredraw in advancedsettings but none of the combinations got rid of the stutter. I was able to achieve smoother and more responsive interface at best.
Kodi 18.4 on Sony Android TV 8.0
(2019-10-16, 11:46)Philqc Wrote: I have a GooBang Doo ABOX A1 Plus
That sounds like a real quality product, costing upto $30...? Cool

The challenge at the moment is that there are hundreds if not thousands of different cheap Chinese Android boxes with a so-called standard chipset. They are hardly ever standard.

Also, which type of subtitle is this about? A simple text file (.SRT) or perhaps image-based subtitles?
Lol, mentioning Sony in these forums is like having an invisibility cloak.
(2019-11-05, 19:25)thx9000 Wrote: Lol, mentioning Sony in these forums is like having an invisibility cloak.

You didn't start the thread, didn't really ask any questions here, and only mentioned a generic possible solution.
And Sony also has not been the best of buddies in terms of customer software support in the past.
Thanks.
My box is equiped with Amlogic S905X Quad Core, decoding even x265 4k video without problems.

The stutter occurs only when subtitles are present (not image-based. Mostly SRT).
(2019-11-05, 20:01)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-05, 19:25)thx9000 Wrote: Lol, mentioning Sony in these forums is like having an invisibility cloak.

You didn't start the thread, didn't really ask any questions here, and only mentioned a generic possible solution.
And Sony also has not been the best of buddies in terms of customer software support in the past.  

I did ask in previous threads about the subject, got completely ignored and tried at least to deal with it myself. About it being generic solution - I didn't find anything more specific anywhere on the net, not only here. About Sony - I really don't get the mindset here. It's not like Sony buyers are somehow hostile to Kodi. We have no control over the brand's software policy. There's no reason to treat us differently
When people are not responding/replying, that can have various reasons. One reason could be that people simply don't have an answer (yet) to your questions.

Something else that has some bearing: there is currently no main Android developer in Team Kodi. So big and small problems may take some time to fix.

Sony itself has had some questionable actions in the past, such as the root kit scandal. And lately Sony's programming department botched up firmware for a number of their TVs so applications with names starting with "ko" (i.e. Kodi) couldn't be installed.
Convert your srt subs to ssa (sub station alpha) or ass (advanced sub station alpha) using a program like Subtitle Edit. This will eliminate most of the stuttering issues with srt subs. I'm guessing that your sub file contains Asian languages which naturally have more complex characters. You can mitigate the problem by using a smaller font size (smaller than default). Or convert the subs to picture-based subs, but text-based format like ssa or aas should work as well. I don't know why but the performance of rendering srt subs is terrible with Android Kodi, especially if you want to use a bigger font size with Asian languages.
Just for the sake of it I tried converting srt to sub, ssa and ass. Sub format doesn't display at all, ssa made jitter worse and ass has the same jitter as srt.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18.4 - Subtitles freeze video0