Linux distribution with KODI on NVidia Shield
Hello,

I bought an Nvidia Shield some years ago, but now I'm trying to avoid any Android devices (or any other spy devices) in my home.
Do you know if someone has worked on a Linux distribution (like OpenELEC) working on the Shield ? Or anything else to avoid AndroidTV.

Sorry if someone already asked for it but when I search for shield + kodi, all the results are about the Android application.

Thank you,
Malandrain
Spy devices... Okay. Smile

Some time ago people have tried to run Ubuntu on the Shield, I have no idea what became of that.
OpenELEC is a dead horse, and I have not heard of any other attempts with LibreELEC or similar stuff.

Or you get rid of the Shield and get a simple device like a Raspberry Pi or other Android box capable of running LibreELEC.
(2019-10-29, 09:53)Klojum Wrote: Or you get rid of the Shield and get a simple device like a Raspberry Pi or other Android box capable of running LibreELEC.
That's probably what I'll have to do, thank you for your answer.

"Spy devices" has a strong connotation, but I mean a device which collects data about its environment for commercial purposes.
(2019-10-29, 10:08)Malandrain Wrote: but I mean a device which collects data about its environment for commercial purposes.

Then I hope you have also unplugged your "smart" TV from your network/internet connection. Those things are just as nasty these days. Smile
There is a way of installing Linux4Tegra on the ShieldTV. Linux4Tegra is the Ubuntu-based Linux distro nVidia produces for their Jetson TX1 (amongst others) evaluation boards that share the same SoC as the Shield TV.  However that only uses gstreamer for accelerated video playback (and doesn't AFAIK support HDR and HD Audio) and there isn't currently a mainstream Kodi build that supports a gstreamer playback pipeline.  So I think the answer is no.

There was talk of looking at gstreamer support for the nVidia Jetson Nano SBC (think a Tegra-based Raspberry Pi equivalent) - but I don't think it has gone anywhere.
I managed to install Ubuntu a couple years back following the recipe from
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-...v-t3150352
and   https://github.com/ericvh/nvidia-shield-chroot
but even back then Arch was further along with Shield support so it wasn't a great user experience.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux distribution with KODI on NVidia Shield0