Need Help with Changing 2 Default Skin Settings for NEW Themes
I'm trying to do a few themes using the Aeon Nox:Sylo skin, mainly for my grandson. I had noticed really little nothing much was really different when folks would theme this skin, other than maybe change the menu bar and default backgrounds, etc. But other skins would have some cool home screen animations, re-positioning of different things, etc..

I absolutely love the Aeon Nox:Sylo and think Mike has done some amazing stuff, especially recent. I decided to see if I could change things up a bit and get some cool things into this awesome skin.

I am having 2 issues that I just can't figure out how to do. I am very new to skinning and the Skinning Guide is pretty vague with little to no examples

1. I need to make the defaults of the "Main Menu Layout" be one (1) rather than five (5). This is the big one.

2. I need to make the defaults of the "System Menu Bar" be at the top rather than the bottom. (I can move it's position in the Includes_Home.xml and it looks good, but if you move the Main menu Layout to center, the System Menu Bar is plum off the screen, so that doesn't really work).

I have downloaded and installed MANY, MANY v18 skins and entire builds (just to get the skin used) just to see if I could find one that has similar settings I could use for reference, but none I have found have those two default settings??

I did post in the Silvo thread a couple days back, but no one has replied as of yet, I know Mike has been super busy with all the cool things he has been doing with the skin and I think he is on a well deserved break.

I am sure hoping someone can help me out here with these two things.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kodi v20.1 with goodies from the PSMC Collection / Using on PC's, Nvidea Shields, and other Android TV Boxes
(2019-11-01, 12:56)Wanderer189 Wrote: I'm trying to do a few themes using the Aeon Nox:Sylo skin, mainly for my grandson. I had noticed really little nothing much was really different when folks would theme this skin, other than maybe change the menu bar and default backgrounds, etc. But other skins would have some cool home screen animations, re-positioning of different things, etc..

I absolutely love the Aeon Nox:Sylo and think Mike has done some amazing stuff, especially recent. I decided to see if I could change things up a bit and get some cool things into this awesome skin.

I am having 2 issues that I just can't figure out how to do. I am very new to skinning and the Skinning Guide is pretty vague with little to no examples

1. I need to make the defaults of the "Main Menu Layout" be one (1) rather than five (5). This is the big one.

2. I need to make the defaults of the "System Menu Bar" be at the top rather than the bottom. (I can move it's position in the Includes_Home.xml and it looks good, but if you move the Main menu Layout to center, the System Menu Bar is plum off the screen, so that doesn't really work).

I have downloaded and installed MANY, MANY v18 skins and entire builds (just to get the skin used) just to see if I could find one that has similar settings I could use for reference, but none I have found have those two default settings??

I did post in the Silvo thread a couple days back, but no one has replied as of yet, I know Mike has been super busy with all the cool things he has been doing with the skin and I think he is on a well deserved break.

What do you mean by the "System " menu bar ? do you mean the sub menu bar which is normally below the main menu bar ?
Main menu can be changed to "one" in skin settings , you have a choice between 1,3,5.
Thats providing your using silvo not nox5
(2019-11-01, 13:27)ontap Wrote: Main menu can be changed to "one" in skin settings , you have a choice between 1,3,5.
Thats providing your using silvo not nox5
Yes, and thanks for replying, but I am trying to change the DEFAULTS in the SkinSettings.xml or somewhere to default to 1 rather than defaulting to 5, as it does....so if it is fresh installed or reset to defaults it will use 1 instead of 5...
Kodi v20.1 with goodies from the PSMC Collection / Using on PC's, Nvidea Shields, and other Android TV Boxes
(2019-11-01, 13:24)ontap Wrote:
(2019-11-01, 12:56)Wanderer189 Wrote: I'm trying to do a few themes using the Aeon Nox:Sylo skin, mainly for my grandson. I had noticed really little nothing much was really different when folks would theme this skin, other than maybe change the menu bar and default backgrounds, etc. But other skins would have some cool home screen animations, re-positioning of different things, etc..

What do you mean by the "System " menu bar ? do you mean the sub menu bar which is normally below the main menu bar ? 
The System Menu bar would be the one with date, time, etc....again, I know it can be moved within the current skin settings to the Top, but I am needing to change the DEFAULT skin settings to use the top, rather than its current lower setting
Ahhh , well I change to 1 in the skin setting and edit other changes in the XML files and I change the version number in add-on.xml so any skin updates can't be auto uploaded , I spent 4 hrs the other night editing files and lost the lot when the skin was updated. I may be wrong but any changes you make in XML files will be lost when the skin has an update pushed , doing it my way you don't need to have it as default in XML files ? Or am I wrong ?
(2019-11-01, 13:52)ontap Wrote: Ahhh , well I change to 1 in the skin setting and edit other changes in the XML files and I change the version number in add-on.xml so any skin updates can't be auto uploaded , I spent 4 hrs the other night editing files and lost the lot when the skin was updated. I may be wrong but any changes you make in XML files will be lost when the skin has an update pushed , doing it my way you don't need to have it as default in XML files ? Or am I wrong ?

Hate to hear that, I have had similar things happen in the past. I spent days making my own fork of Kodi and that happened to me with an update. I always make backups of everything I change, just to be safe.

I use my own version numbers, names, install path, etc, so the themed skin I create can be installed together with the original version and both will work on the same device at the same time. I always give credit back to developers like Mike, as theming is only modding the looks and tweaking a few things to make it look as you are shooting for. They are the real developers, ya know?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Help with Changing 2 Default Skin Settings for NEW Themes0