Kodi and booting Manjaro
I don't know Linux very well, but I think Kodi can be packaged in standalone mode which I think gives an appliance type behaviour in the manner you describe. Maybe you've installed the wrong package for a desktop environment or the package maintainer hasn't built it for an desktop environment.
Also in case you're not aware, the only Linux package maintained by the Team is the Ubuntu one. We are a small Team so it would be impossible for us to maintain packages for every flavour of Linux, so this does means if you stray from using Ubuntu then there's a good chance that Kodi may have been patched or altered by the distro maintainers in someway.
From what I see, manjaro is just using the Arch package for kodi.  There is nothing within it that will enable it on startup.  No idea what you did on your system.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Maybe its an issue with how Desktop Manager (lightdm, slim, whatever) is setup.
A newly installed .xsession file becomes the default somehow.
However this issue should be directed to and adressed by distro maintainers.
(2019-12-18, 23:41)asavah Wrote: Maybe its an issue with how Desktop Manager (lightdm, slim, whatever) is setup.
A newly installed .xsession file becomes the default somehow.
However this issue should be directed to and adressed by distro maintainers.
you may be on to something. here are the emails i got from the person that did the package for the community. if you're right then this is most likely a plasma issue or something the manjaro devs changed. i'm thinking a plasma issue.

On Wed, 2019-12-18 at 08:59 -0800, GraveDigger wrote:
Code:
please take a look at the 2 below threads and let me know if there is any way to stop your build or kodi ingeneral from starting at boot up. thanks. https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kodi-and-boo...o/115485/2 https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=350152

There is nothing included in the kodi package to make it start by default. It will add en .xession file so your display manager can load kodi without the need for a window manager or desktop environment. That would mean your display manager does not properly remember what the last session was you used. Which brings me to the following question: do you have auto login enabled? Best regards, Ike

Code:
i had auto login in enabled yes. all i did was install kodi, install titanium, check email and do a couple of other task and reboot. now before i installed titanium in kodi i had set kodi to windowed mode, so it was odd that it wasn't windowed when the system landed on the kodi screen on boot. beginning to think it is a issue with some file or files within manjaro itself. if you don't mind i'd like to add your comments to the two threads. thanks

Feel free to add this information to the forum threads. I suspect your display manager is at fault when auto login is enabled. Also even if you have configured kodi to run in windowed mode using a desktop environment, when you start the xsession kodi from your display manager it will run fullscreen anyway Best, Ike​​​​​​​
(2019-12-18, 20:32)jjd-uk Wrote: I don't know Linux very well, but I think Kodi can be packaged in standalone mode which I think gives an appliance type behaviour in the manner you describe. Maybe you've installed the wrong package for a desktop environment or the package maintainer hasn't built it for an desktop environment.

from everything i understood when i was still on windows yes kodi could be made to open as the default during a reboot. this is mainly want to create a media server. they only have the os to have something to run kodi on and for maintenance if needed. i honestly do not know what is involved in either windows or linux to set it up.  if i'm not mistake the desktop session is managed by the desktop environment and not the actual os. if i'm wrong or over simplifying please fee free to correct me. if i'm right i might have to create a thread on the kde forums.
(2019-12-18, 20:51)graysky Wrote: From what I see, manjaro is just using the Arch package for kodi.  There is nothing within it that will enable it on startup.  No idea what you did on your system.

just checked the software manager again and there is no aur release, just the community release. as for there being nothing in kodi to cause it to preform the way it did i do believe that, cause i've actually had kodi in linux before and never had this behavior.
this finally seems to have done the trick.
Quote:disable auto-login > install/run kodi > reboot > select kde/plasma as a sesson and login > re-enable auto-login. there should be no need of manually editing anything if you do it that way.
I know very little about Linux anymore. I installed Manjaro xfce, and then Kodi, and JRiver for my audio, and both work I also have zero problem shutting down Kodi. My only problem with Manjaro is when listening to music on JRiver it logs me out if I am not actively moving a mouse, but with Kodi there is no problem. Have you tried reinstalling Kodi in case the rebuild went wrong?
(2019-12-19, 16:36)GraveDigger1 Wrote:
(2019-12-18, 20:51)graysky Wrote: From what I see, manjaro is just using the Arch package for kodi.  There is nothing within it that will enable it on startup.  No idea what you did on your system.

just checked the software manager again and there is no aur release, just the community release. as for there being nothing in kodi to cause it to preform the way it did i do believe that, cause i've actually had kodi in linux before and never had this behavior.
So you do not have air? I just had to activate it and it works fine for me.
(2019-12-25, 04:20)ellisr63 Wrote: I know very little about Linux anymore. I installed Manjaro xfce, and then Kodi, and JRiver for my audio, and both work I also have zero problem shutting down Kodi. My only problem with Manjaro is when listening to music on JRiver it logs me out if I am not actively moving a mouse, but with Kodi there is no problem. Have you tried reinstalling Kodi in case the rebuild went wrong?

ya i uninstalled it, rebooted, reinstalled it, and same behavior. i'm doing without it for now till the community can figure out what's going on and correct it. i've got two great screaming sites bookmarked so i'm good for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi and booting Manjaro0