Is Kodi the right solution for my multimedia machine
I've built a PC for playing games and watching Blu rays in the living room and I'm looking for a solution to startup the PC and navigate games, music, bluray web browser etc from my couch without a mouse and keyboard like I can on my brother's Xbox one.
I was asking at gbatemp if it's possible to use a Wii Remote + sensor bar instead of a mouse and someone directed me here and I have some questions:

Which input devices does Kodi support for navigation? I currently have an Xbox controller on it's way and no other input devices (besides mouse and keyboard)
What's the extent I can navigate to apps using Kodi? I want to be able to open any app on my PC without mouse and keyboard
Does Kodi have an option to pause all background activity to free up resources in a game and then resume when I exit the game?
Does it offer a custom browser wrapper so I can use a chromium browser like Edge with the same input device I use for Kodi?
Is the Bluray player Xbox controller friendly?

Basically I want the console experience on my custom build.
(2020-03-07, 05:05)KitChan Wrote: I've built a PC for playing games and watching Blu rays in the living room and I'm looking for a solution to startup the PC and navigate games, music, bluray web browser etc from my couch without a mouse and keyboard like I can on my brother's Xbox one.

Which input devices does Kodi support for navigation? I currently have an Xbox controller on it's way and no other input devices (besides mouse and keyboard)
What's the extent I can navigate to apps using Kodi? I want to be able to open any app on my PC without mouse and keyboard
Does Kodi have an option to pause all background activity to free up resources in a game and then resume when I exit the game?
Does it offer a custom browser wrapper so I can use a chromium browser like Edge with the same input device I use for Kodi?
Is the Bluray player Xbox controller friendly?

Basically I want the console experience on my custom build.

I want to be able to open any app on my PC without mouse and keyboard (besides mouse and keyboard)  Mini Wireless Keyboard Rii X8 Controller https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rainbow-RGB-...Sw8L5b4OOy

Which input devices does Kodi support for navigation? 
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Input

Does it offer a custom browser wrapper so I can use a chromium browser like Edge 
kodi chrome launcher 

Edge beta create app and use kodi advanced launcher
Might want to consider this FLIRC (wiki) it turns any IR device into a Kodi controller, alternatively there is media keyboard mouse combinations like the Logitech K830 which should give you 20' range.
If I'm able to get by with just an Xbox one controller, I'd rather not spend money (and backpack space when transporting it) on anything else. It seems like Kodi will work fine with an Xbox one controller so I think I should download kodi when it arrives and experiment around.
I also found a chrome extension to use an Xbox one controller so I'll try that out. I think web browsing would be better with a Wii remote, but I can save my money and worry about that when I have some spare change for one.

Sounds like kodi advanced launcher is what I need to add programs to kodi, does it work with MS store bought apps and games?

Still curious if kodi can pause in background when a game is running.

Also wondering how booting up into kodi works. Does it bypass the Windows login screen or enable me to login using a controller?
I think a setup like my HTPC is what you are after. It's built for Kodi but I turned it into a HTPC SteamBox for playing low-tech games.

Anyway, it's the most functional HTPC I have configured. It does more than just Kodi nowadays. But it all depends on using Steam's Big Picture UI. That allows launching whatever apps I want reliably and browsing with a compatible web browser. From Steam Big Picture I can launch Kodi, games, Spotify, and use the web browser for stuff like Netflix. With Steam I could type and perform searches on the web browser with the controller. IR remote functionality in the browser was limited, but useful enough. And Steam supports any controller these days so using an XB360 or whatever controller is totally possible.

Before my SteamBox era, my HTPC was just a KodiBox. It is the fastest KodiBox I have, and used the Firefox web browser reliably for Netflix and stuff. Most of the input in the browser required a mouse and keyboard. And of course, my HTPC build could play blu-rays, but it doesn't have an optical media drive. It can do XBox or PS3 controllers with the right usb adapters, just like Steam. And those work fine in Kodi and Steam and in blu-rays. The Kodi box can launch into whatever app you want at start. Steam, Kodi, web browser. Just have to configure it correctly.
What you want it to do, you can achieve using a front end such as HyperSpin and modding it to how you want it.

I would not use Kodi and expect it to do everything that you want it to do, because sadly it cannot.

A simple HyperSpin set up will give you emulation, PC gaming, movie playback using Kodi.

However, unless you have terabytes of storage do not think that you can do everything on one computer. My HTPC has eight hard drives including SSD and I am out of room. I only have movies and TV shows on mine, I need more and larger drives but that is a cost issue.

You will still need more storage to try and encompass everything that you want, because at some point you end up hitting a wall and will need extra solutions to get over that wall.
I think the walls I'm stuck on are:

1. Logging into windows with a controller

2. DVD/BluRay player setup. Leawo seems to have issues with DVDs which Kodi and VLC don't. Kodi has horrendous deinterlacing wheras VLC looks great, however VLC doesn't support controllers and I can't find a guide to make it work with controllers. I also need to figure out how to get it to read Blu Rays, as I'd like to use only 1 app for consistency. Maybe it might be worth looking at paid software.

I don't know what Video Titles has overdosed on, but I'll try messing around with Steam big picture like Gorbulan suggested.
The Steam Controller has a native mode when Steam is not running, which will allow you to login...assuming you don't need a keyboard. It's the only controller I know that will allow you to select a login profile with the mouse at the Welcome to Windows screen.

However, I am not sure why you would want an HTPC to have different profiles. Kodi has a profile feature, it is pretty worthless right now, but they are going to revise it in a future update. Why do you need different profiles? I can understand if you have kids and need to restrict content.
(2020-05-02, 00:20)Gorbulan Wrote: The Steam Controller has a native mode when Steam is not running, which will allow you to login...assuming you don't need a keyboard. It's the only controller I know that will allow you to select a login profile with the mouse at the Welcome to Windows screen.

However, I am not sure why you would want an HTPC to have different profiles. Kodi has a profile feature, it is pretty worthless right now, but they are going to revise it in a future update. Why do you need different profiles? I can understand if you have kids and need to restrict content.

Because I don't want to share my Microsoft account.
Just been playing around a bit with DVDs and Blu Ray software. I've found the best option for Blu Rays so far is using AnyDVDHD to play blurays with Kodi, but a license is double my budget, so I think I need to have a look at alternative decrypters or put on an eyepatch. I also wish there could be more DVD filter options in the Kodi player. I really liked Tipard's scanline deinterlace filter for older TV shows.
If I stick with playing discs on Kodi, I might need to have a look at changing the controls a bit, which I apparently have to do manually in a config file, unless someone can recommend me a plugin which lets me change Kodi mappings with a GUI.
(2020-05-04, 06:53)KitChan Wrote: Just been playing around a bit with DVDs and Blu Ray software. I've found the best option for Blu Rays so far is using AnyDVDHD to play blurays with Kodi, but a license is double my budget, so I think I need to have a look at alternative decrypters or put on an eyepatch. I also wish there could be more DVD filter options in the Kodi player. I really liked Tipard's scanline deinterlace filter for older TV shows.
If I stick with playing discs on Kodi, I might need to have a look at changing the controls a bit, which I apparently have to do manually in a config file, unless someone can recommend me a plugin which lets me change Kodi mappings with a GUI.

There is an addon that can change key mappings. 

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

Regarding you logging into your HTPC, you don't need to use your Microsoft account on your HTPC. Do you have a specific reason for using your Microsoft Account login? It's usually best to have a generic account named something like "User" or "Kodi", since an HTPC is used by everyone. I don't know of any benefit to logging on with your Microsoft account, unless there are apps you bought in the Microsoft Store you want to use.
(2020-05-19, 16:43)Gorbulan Wrote:
(2020-05-04, 06:53)KitChan Wrote: Just been playing around a bit with DVDs and Blu Ray software. I've found the best option for Blu Rays so far is using AnyDVDHD to play blurays with Kodi, but a license is double my budget, so I think I need to have a look at alternative decrypters or put on an eyepatch. I also wish there could be more DVD filter options in the Kodi player. I really liked Tipard's scanline deinterlace filter for older TV shows.

There is an addon that can change key mappings. 

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

Regarding you logging into your HTPC, you don't need to use your Microsoft account on your HTPC. Do you have a specific reason for using your Microsoft Account login? It's usually best to have a generic account named something like "User" or "Kodi", since an HTPC is used by everyone. I don't know of any benefit to logging on with your Microsoft account, unless there are apps you bought in the Microsoft Store you want to use. 
Microsoft Store apps.
Just used my brother's smart TV the other day and I really liked the LG magic remote or whatever it's called. Maybe I could get something like that for PC and just use the numpad to sign in with Windows hello pin. I had a quick look on amazon and I couldn't find one with a scroll wheel like I was after. I wonder if the LG remote can pair with windows.
(2020-05-21, 23:43)KitChan Wrote: LG magic remote
Looks to be and IR remote, perfect candidate for the flirc.
(2020-05-22, 00:57)PatK Wrote:
(2020-05-21, 23:43)KitChan Wrote: LG magic remote
Looks to be and IR remote, perfect candidate for the flirc. 

Could I use flirc to set up the remote as a mouse?
Can I get a cheap IR receiver for flirc and does it require line of sight? I want to install it behind the plastic front bezel of the PC case.
(2020-05-22, 03:20)KitChan Wrote: cheap IR receiver for flirc
It is the receiver and plugs into a USB port, set-up with a default software map(alterable) for Kodi. It's uses your IR blaster of choice, so I wouldn't call it a mouse. Line of sight, well IR blasters use inferred light but mine bounces well, but doubt it penetrates deep enough to be hidden behind plastic. I also use a Logitech wireless mouse, but prefer manipulating audio levels with my AVR remote, and Kodi instead of balancing the mouse on some surface. When I'm real lazy, the multi-media keyboard handles it all even though it's a handful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Kodi the right solution for my multimedia machine0