Req True, cross platform Kodi configuration copy
Brick 
I use Libreelec on a couple of different systems. One x86 the other a Pi4b.

Customizing Kodi can take quite a while and having to do it twice, well, takes twice as long.

I have searched high and low for a way to duplicate the config of one Kodi install to another and so far haven't found a thing. 

I would LOVE it if it were built into Kodi in some way. Either an export ZIP or even better, if one install could locate another on the network and dupe itself. That would be awesome.

Pretty Please?
(2020-03-20, 04:21)AGLyons Wrote: I have searched high and low for a way to duplicate the config of one Kodi install to another and so far haven't found a thing. 

True, there is no such thing yet. Although setting up identical LibreELEC devices should be easy with the internal Backup/Restore tool.

How about simply copy/pasting the Kodi "profile" folder entirely?
Binary add-ons cannot be exchanged, but the rest should come pretty close.
(2020-03-20, 08:13)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 04:21)AGLyons Wrote: I have searched high and low for a way to duplicate the config of one Kodi install to another and so far haven't found a thing. 

True, there is no such thing yet. Although setting up identical LibreELEC devices should be easy with the internal Backup/Restore tool.

How about simply copy/pasting the Kodi "profile" folder entirely?
Binary add-ons cannot be exchanged, but the rest should come pretty close.

So I've confirmed with the LE team that the built in backup tool is platform specific. In other words doing what I want to do, duplicate an x86 install over to the pi won't work properly as it wasn't designed for that in mind.

I also tried the backup add-on and not only did the restored box jump into a boot loop, the source system was borked too, although I'm not sure why.

I haven't tried copying the profile folder yet. I wasn't sure which folders I would need so thanks for that. So as long as I install add-ons so the two systems are the same, the profile folder should take care of the overall config? If that's all there is to it that would make this a lot easier.
F.Y.I., Kodi add-ons usually have 2 separate folders: one for the add-ons, and one for the addon data.

You should be able to copy everything, apart from binary add-ons as already mentioned.
Also do not transfer the guisettings.xml file, as it can have specific settings for the attached display/hardware.

Just make backups when possible before transferring settings and stuff.
(2020-03-20, 14:46)Klojum Wrote: Also do not transfer the guisettings.xml file, as it can have specific settings for the attached display/hardware.

Could there be a time in the future where guisettings.xml is only for GUI gettings, like skin settings for similar, and then they more device-specific settings (like A/V settings) could be moved to their own file?
It's called guisettings.xml because it contains all the setting values for settings set via the GUI interface. Is it possible that will change in the future? sure as anything is possible if someone has the talent, time & inclination, however is it likely? not very in my opinion as no one has ever expressed an interest in doing such a thing.
(2020-06-12, 15:18)drinfernoo Wrote: like skin settings for similar, and then they more device-specific settings (like A/V settings)

Skins already have their own settings file afaik, only the system skins Estuary and Etouchy are likely to use guisettings options.

The guisettings.xml file is already A/V specific, as it contains display settings like resolution and refresh options. These items can vary when going from a PC monitor to a true TV display.
(2020-06-12, 16:22)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-06-12, 15:18)drinfernoo Wrote: like skin settings for similar, and then they more device-specific settings (like A/V settings)

Skins already have their own settings file afaik, only the system skins Estuary and Etouchy are likely to use guisettings options.

The guisettings.xml file is already A/V specific, as it contains display settings like resolution and refresh options. These items can vary when going from a PC monitor to a true TV display.

There are tons of settings in guisettings.xml that are not device-specific, like subtitle, language, logging, and media settings... basically every Kodi setting that isn't tied to a specific add-on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
True, cross platform Kodi configuration copy0