Solved Very slow browsing, especially on YouTube add-on
Hi guys,

hope that anyone can help me with my problem - if I'm using Rapier skin, directory browsing will really slows down, especially on YouTube add-on. It drives me crazy, when if I'm trying to access my "Watch later" list on YouTube and every time, when I'm trying to list videos in this list, I have to wait twenty, or more seconds. If I switch my skin back to original one, it will be really fast again and instead of tens of seconds it takes a second or two.

Any idea please, how to deal with this?
Thanks in advance, regards
Martin
Hi Martin.

That sounds strange.

Please provide info on your system, Kodi version and Rapier version.

Cheers
Christian
same for me, but i got some time, so i can answer for him Smile - but the problem exists since ages.
Ryzen 2200G,8GB, Kodi 18.6 on Windows 10 (2004)
Rapier Version is 11.2.56
Thanks a lot, skybird, for the info.

Rapier has been recoded and cleaned up in all views and generally throughout the skin for v19.
So you should try Rapier 12 and Kodi 19 and see if it's the same.
Because I highly doubt it Big Grin
Hi Gade,

I don’t want to just let the problem go and not solve it. Skybird1980 is right, that this is a problem that has been around for a long time. Honestly, I always thought that the problem is in YouTube add-on and it was a complete shock to me, when I changed my skin and saw how everything works as expected, instead of waiting tens of seconds to list videos in any playlist. I sincerely regret it because I consider your skin the best ever! And since I make my living as an IT consultant, I wonder quite where the problem is. I tried to detect the problem using the Kodi log, but without success - I never found anything in it that was related to the problem. If there is interest on your side, I would like to provide any requested informations, logs, simly anything, because I would really like to know, where the fault is. For any further communication I have set up a notification for this thread and further reactions will be as immediate as possible.

PS: I also like Kodi v19 and Rapier 12.2.0, unfortunately this version is not very useful yet. Rewriting add-ons from Python v2 to v3 will probably be difficult for all developers of existing Kodi add-ons. And btw, in Rapier 12.2.0 for example, constant requirement to install Skin Helper Service and few other addons is really pain in ass, because it is not possible to install them, because of Kodi v19 Sad

Hope that together we will be able to identify and solve the problem Wink.

PS: a quick idea - I can shoot a video to show you YouTube behavior when Rapier skin is turned on followed by switching to the basic Estuary skin

Martin

Information about my system:
  • Windows 10 (latest public build)
  • Kodi 18.6 (GIT: 20200229-8E967DF921)
  • Rapier (version: 11.2.56)
If you want to see any logs, just let me know, how exactly do I have to setup logging in Kodi to be idealy as most as possible focused on this problem, or I can upload whole my Kodi log anywhere you want.
I have been a tester of Rapier 12.
The speed difference of Rapier 11 and 12 is huuuugeeeeee.
(2020-04-13, 10:57)mpavlis Wrote: PS: I also like Kodi v19 and Rapier 12.2.0, unfortunately this version is not very useful yet. Rewriting add-ons from Python v2 to v3 will probably be difficult for all developers of existing Kodi add-ons. And btw, in Rapier 12.2.0 for example, constant requirement to install Skin Helper Service and few other addons is really pain in ass, because it is not possible to install them, because of Kodi v19 Sad

I don't disagree with you.
But.. since I am developing my own skin for Kodi 19, I understand now the amount of work a Kodi skin needs.
I totally understand if Gade doesn't want to backport all the new skinning code to an older version.
He would have to spend countless hours to backport and testing, he didn't just apply some changes, he re-coded all views from scratch.
I wouldn't backport them in his position, believe me you wouldn't too Smile
1) it is possible, that thanks to my not perfect English I wrote something, that in the end sounded different, than what I wanted. In that situation, sorry for that. I definitely didn't want that. I'm a huge Rapier skin fan. Dot.

2) if we do not want to deal with the current, respectively the previous version of the add-on and we want to deny all the effort towards the new version, I'm absolutely OK and I have no problem with it. All you have to do is say it and that's it.

3) this is not important to the subject of this thread - my comments on version 12.2.0 on Kodi v19 were based only on the fact that after a clean installation of the Kodi with Rapier skin and PRV addon, I ger error messages in the sense that several required add-ons cannot be installed due to their dependency on Python version 2.x. If this can be resolved in any way, I'll be glad. I searched the forum for help if there is a solution, but I failed. Perhaps only this add-on has now gained support for running on Kodi v19.

After little testing today I can confirm, that my problem with really slow listing in YouTube addon when using Rapier skin on Kodi doesn't exist on Kodi v19, Rapier 12.2.0 and YouTube 6.7.0+MATRIX.1.

Note: which btw probably confirms my suspicion, that the problem is in Skin Helper Service/Widget/etc. addons. And since they are not installed on v19, YouTube running smoothly and with any delay Wink
(2020-04-13, 10:57)mpavlis Wrote: I don’t want to just let the problem go and not solve it. Skybird1980 is right, that this is a problem that has been around for a long time. Honestly, I always thought that the problem is in YouTube add-on and it was a complete shock to me, when I changed my skin and saw how everything works as expected, instead of waiting tens of seconds to list videos in any playlist. I sincerely regret it because I consider your skin the best ever! And since I make my living as an IT consultant, I wonder quite where the problem is. I tried to detect the problem using the Kodi log, but without success - I never found anything in it that was related to the problem. If there is interest on your side, I would like to provide any requested informations, logs, simly anything, because I would really like to know, where the fault is. For any further communication I have set up a notification for this thread and further reactions will be as immediate as possible.

Hi Martin.

Well, I'm very open to try solving this.
But I think it's fixed in v19 with the complete rewrite of library views etc. Huge parts of the skin is coded from scratch, addons are removed to code features directly into the skin.
This rewrite will not be backported to Kodi 18, as it took me weeks to do, and is too big of a task.

You are very welcome to post a video of the problem. That will be very helpful.

(2020-04-13, 10:57)mpavlis Wrote: PS: I also like Kodi v19 and Rapier 12.2.0, unfortunately this version is not very useful yet. Rewriting add-ons from Python v2 to v3 will probably be difficult for all developers of existing Kodi add-ons. And btw, in Rapier 12.2.0 for example, constant requirement to install Skin Helper Service and few other addons is really pain in ass, because it is not possible to install them, because of Kodi v19 Sad

A lot of addons will be ported to Python 3.
A lot of addon features will be coded directly into the skin, so fewer addons are needed.
Kodi 19 has not even reached Alpha 1 yet.
There already is a (somewhat) working version of script.skin.helper.service. I will put it in my dev repo.

(2020-04-13, 10:57)mpavlis Wrote: PS: a quick idea - I can shoot a video to show you YouTube behavior when Rapier skin is turned on followed by switching to the basic Estuary skin

Please do. That will be very helpful.
(2020-04-13, 11:05)olympus Wrote: I have been a tester of Rapier 12.
The speed difference of Rapier 11 and 12 is huuuugeeeeee.

Thanks so much for this input. ;-)
That's why I'm a little hesitant fixing speed issues for Kodi 18, as they mostly have already been fixed in v19.
I just put temp working Python 3 versions of these addons in my development repository:
  • script.module.metadatautils
  • script.module.simplecache
  • script.module.thetvdb
  • script.skin.helper.service
  • script.skin.helper.skinbackup
  • script.skin.helper.widgets
I'll mark this thread as solved.

It's fixed in Kodi 19, but won't be backported to Kodi 18.
I suggest users with this problem update to Kodi 19 when possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very slow browsing, especially on YouTube add-on0