[split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player
I am going to be the voice of reason here (60% warning now 70%)

Why would you really use Kodi for music for in the first place? It is a basic music player and yet I have seen some really stupid posts about being able to match music by BPM and other rubbish such as that.

Firstly music is very much skin related. I use Titan Bingie and it is RUBBISH for music, which is why I do not use music on Kodi now. Where a skin such as Aura is great for music.

Secondly, you have proper music packages such as DJ software, jukebox software, if you was really into music, then why would you use Kodi for in the first place?

Thirdly, before I get any hate. I have a 32 inch vertical touch screen monitor which is a dedicated jukebox but a jukebox is meant to be that. Do you ever go into a pub and listen to music that is the same BPM, the same genre, the same this that and the other? NO!

I am a mood person, rather than a sheep. If my mood is 60's soul music then I play that, if my mood is 80's pop music then I play that, if my mood is this then I play that. I do not just listen to one genre of music. I appreciate all kinds of music, so they will have different BPM.

Kodi cannot and will NEVER be what you want it to be, it cannot be a DJ station, it cannot be a BPM matcher, it cannot be 100% what you want it to be, as that takes up a hell of a lot of programming to do so. 

The only way that you can ever get close to what you want it to be is to create your own custom playlists, or you can buy software that has been specifically designed to do what you want it to do.

I cannot remember but I think that Kodi allows you to have multiple genres, it has been a while since I have tagged anything, but I was using mp3tag https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ I would then export a playlist using multiple genres by creating nfo files.

This was how I was doing music videos for another program, but I cannot remember what you need to call the nfo file for Kodi, you need to replace the <musicvideo> and replace that with something else that is in the wiki. You can do the same with MP3's and have it multiple genre. I can do music videos with just cutting and pasting. I do not have to do any typing when it comes to music videos. 

<musicvideo>
        <title>%title%</title>
        <artist>%artist%</artist>
        <album>%title%</album>
        <genre>%genre%</genre>
        <runtime>%_length%</runtime>
        <plot></plot>
        <year>%year%</year>
        <director>%director%</director>
        <studio>%studio%</studio>
        <track>%track%</track>
    </musicvideo>

You can always find a work around for something, but Kodi will never be a software that allows you to do everything that you want it to do.
Split as not related to the specific topic being discussed where it was posted
Kodi is a great media player for Music content, I use it every day. Scan your files to the Library with tags and it works perfectly with many different options to select by genre, create playlists etc.
Yes that is what a basic music player does. Which Kodi is, but the thread that I have been split from wants a lot more than Kodi can offer and people are expecting Kodi to become a DJ, BPM etc etc software.

However, music library's are really skin dependent, or I think personally. I use Titan Bingie now and I had my music library set up, but soon removed it, because it really did not suit the skin. However, people should not expect more than just a basic music player, and if they want DJ and BPM matching and all the bells and whistles, they should be looking at proper DJ software, than a basic music player. 

As I offered the solution is just to create playlists to do what people wanted, Kodi just does not have the developers to give everything that people want. It is like a witch hunt, oh fix retro gaming, oh fix this that and the other. Improve this, that and the other, add new features.

Kodi is great for basic music play back, the same as my google home max, but it will never replace dedicated music software, not unless you spend another ten odd years developing the software, and by that time something new would have come out, so the cycle starts over again.
Okay, I didn't see the original thread but that makes sense. I agree as a basic music player Kodi is excellent, for all that other stuff probably not so much.
(2020-03-30, 13:00)Video Titles Wrote: However, people should not expect more than just a basic music player, and if they want DJ and BPM matching and all the bells and whistles, they should be looking at proper DJ software, than a basic music player. 
Kodi is great for basic music play back, the same as my google home max, but it will never replace dedicated music software, not unless you spend another ten odd years developing the software, and by that time something new would have come out, so the cycle starts over again.
IMO Kodi is already much more than a basic music player. For example it sits on top a database, and much more can be done with that and I'm happy to volunteer my time to design and implement new features with it.  The music library functions are not skin dependant, only some skins fail to display some newer data, but mostly it is a small tweek to the skin to fix that. No doubt the skinners will catch-up in time.

Users can request new things as much as they like, and discussing ideas can be productive maybe some ideas will inspire others to contribute etc. Of course some things are more possible than others, and users need to be realistic about what a small team of volunteers are able to do. But they can also help out by being testers, giving clear bug feedback, supporting other users  and generally being nice to everyone involved - that is be a good community member.

The thread I split your post from @Video Titles was discussing adding a custom property feature, not asking for Kodi to be professional DJ software etc., and quite a modest feature request. Hence I split it rather than clutter that request.
It seems that someone is getting very bored during the UK lockdown and has nothing better to do with their time.
What an odd post, if you don't like don't use it simples
As I use Kodi on my daily driver PC, as well as two pis, it keeps my folder structure (unlike other media players) and if using MySQL keeps the dB synced. When on the big screen - a basic music player is needed.

As noted though, what an odd (and useless) post
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion and what works for one person isn't necessarily what works for another.  But, this is why the music library is becoming more 'flexible' in the way that it can be used and the music accessed.  Extra tag reading and more options in smart playlists and nodes gives users much more flexibility in how they access, sort and choose what to listen to.

Some requests made in the past.

Bit rate, sample rate etc - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=343220
Disc sets - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=339145 , https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345688
Original release date - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=333105 , https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=343507, https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=313952
Beats per minute - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=338933 , https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239637

Whilst the OP may not see any benefit from these additions, it is clear from the requests on here that there are users that wanted to see these things added to Kodi and I hope they are now able to benefit from them.  If people don't see value in them or want to make use of them, then that's fine, nobody is forced to use anything (or indeed Kodi itself) but for those that do see some value then they can now make use of functionality that wasn't there previously.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
If you look in every section such as the games section, music section etc etc it is always a case of I want, I want, I want

I myself personally would love to see all the bug fixes complete before new features are added. I would like to be able to set up multiple user accounts and have them actually work to name but one.

The music library has an easy fix, which is called playlists. You can create playlists to your hearts desire if you want to try and pretend that you are a DJ, either that or there are a lot of dedicated music programs that are specific and not generic to music.

The same with games, I use specific software such as Hyperspin to play my games.

As I said originally, you can create nfo files from MP3 Tag and use them in Kodi, it has been a while since I have done music, but I think that I was importing different music genres by using NFO files, so you can have multiple genres, but you just need to do a few hacks and tweeks.

Kodi is never going to be software that you use for a DJ set, it is great as a background music player, but if you really want to be DJ Black Eagle on 101 radio. You really need proper music software.
(2020-03-31, 11:17)Video Titles Wrote: As I said originally, you can create nfo files from MP3 Tag and use them in Kodi, it has been a while since I have done music, but I think that I was importing different music genres by using NFO files, so you can have multiple genres, but you just need to do a few hacks and tweeks.

Kodi is never going to be software that you use for a DJ set, it is great as a background music player, but if you really want to be DJ Black Eagle on 101 radio. You really need proper music software.
What are you talking about a "DJ Set" and all this other stuff, you are missing the point. You say you can use tags to create playlists, and this is the whole point. MP3 Tag lets you create tags for BPM, which are missing from Kodi, so they are being added in... all this other stuff you are ranting about is just bizarre Smile
It is hardly bizarre to say the least. So you create an extra tag for BPM and then what? You still then need extra programming to be able to do anything with picking tracks that are of a certain BPM. Which is where playlists come into the mix.

I could for example have 80's Pop Music as a genre, and I could tell Kodi to play 80's Pop Music, and then I could think, well I don't like that song, skip, don't like that skip again. So if I have created a basic general 80's pop music playlist then it will play music that I might not want it to play.

So the only way to get around that, is to actually do more to increase my playlists either by creating playlists that only play 80's Pop Music where I have rated them at 5 star, or I add track by track.

In other words in plain English, which I thought that I was typing in anyway, is that you have to do the hard work yourself to get the music that you actually want playing, so even if you want music that 120 BPM, you might still come across tracks that you do not like so have to skip anyway.

Where an actual music related dedicated program is probably the best way of going forward for people who are sprouting all this nonsense about wanting BPM and stuff like that. Kodi is great fantastic for background music, but I think that most of you think that you are wannabe DJ's.
Well @Video Titles if you like making old fashioned .m3u playlists manually that is fine, use Kodi (or don't) in whatever way you like. Smart playslists and nodes are powerful tools for those that want them, and I will be adding more filtering facilities when I have time.

Some users can come over as very needy and entitled, others can be darn right irritating people and time wasters, but most are decent people and the best support the Kodi community and contribute in whatever way they can. We would all love all the bugs to be found, clearly reported by users with all the supporting data, and fixed (and no new ones appear). The volunteer devs do what they can, but an old and large project like Kodi any one person can only get to grips with selected parts of it, and it takes time to do so. If all I could touch on Kodi was bugs then I possibly could not be able to contribute at all, and that is no benefit to anyone.

But then what you say makes no sense
(2020-03-31, 11:17)Video Titles Wrote: As I said originally, you can create nfo files from MP3 Tag and use them in Kodi, it has been a while since I have done music, but I think that I was importing different music genres by using NFO files, so you can have multiple genres, but you just need to do a few hacks and tweeks.

Mp3tag is tagging software, that writes embedded tag data into the file headers, it does not create NFO files. No idea what you are trying to say about genre values, no hacks required.

Fairly often I sit and listen to Kodi playing music of my choice, not just leave it in the background or playing on an infinite loop like the player in the car. But agin

As best I can tell @black_eagle has no aspirations to be a DJ, neither does anyone else.
Nope, can't say I do have any aspirations to be a DJ.  Also, I don't think I, or anyone else for that matter, has actually suggested that Kodi be used for such a thing other than the OP. Got to admit that I find it quite funny that a small addition such as this has upset someone quite so much as it appears to have done. Rofl
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player0