Slowness on large libraries on a RPi1
Hello,

This is my first post, I'm a new Kodi user.
I am not sure if this is the right thread but I have a performance issue that seems related to heavy processing on client side.

My setup:
  • RPi 1B+ with music and video libraries on USB drive
  • iPhone4S as a remote (official app)
The movie experience is great and music plays flawlessly, I am truly grateful for such an amazing product.

My only concern is the load time on the app, I often get the monkeys dancing when browsing my music library.

I have around 1000 albums.

A typical case is when I browse to an artist that has many albums, it takes more than 10 seconds to display a list of 15 albums or so.
And that performance is not on the 1st load (which is even significantly slower) but on subsequent visits where the list is supposed to be already cached.

I don't have such dramatic performance on the web client on my laptop.
Which leads me to think that the bottleneck is the CPU and memory of my old iPhone, which would corroborate what has been said earlier in this thread.

As this thread is a couple of years old, I wonder if any progress has been made since?

I think Kodi is a great system for repurposing old hardware into a great media center. I really wish I could keep using my old phone which should be more than capable of doing the job of "remote". I was actually surprised to observe performance issues on the client, I was expecting more troubles on the old RPi. But the latter handles everything thrown at him with class!
(2020-04-08, 23:28)Rich66 Wrote: As this thread is a couple of years old, I wonder if any progress has been made since?

Since you posted in a 2018 thread, I'd thought it would be better to split it into a new thread.

(2020-04-08, 23:28)Rich66 Wrote: I think Kodi is a great system for repurposing old hardware into a great media center.
That only goes so far, we will not support old hardware indefinitely.

About your hardware, the RPi-1 is basically the slowest device to run Kodi on. It was a success because of its capable video graphics chip.
All the loading/browsing of your music collection is mainly a CPU task, and your RPi-1B at times will probably need to do some catching up.

(2020-04-08, 23:28)Rich66 Wrote: My only concern is the load time on the app

It's a RPi-1B... Try using at least a Class10 SDcard. You could also try some overclocking, but don't expect miracles.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slowness on large libraries on a RPi10