Windows Media Center replacement
I hope someone can help me. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 with Charter cable card. I’ve had it for years and it works great. I have Windows 7 on my computer. Unfortunately Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 and I cannot get the Guide Listings to download. Upgrading to Windows 10 is not an option.
I have downloaded and installed Kodi. I don’t need (or want) all the front-ends, back-ends, and extra add-ons. All I want to do is record and watch Charter Cable TV on my computer. I was hoping Kodi could do this. Obviously I am not a computer person.
I have watched several videos and read many how-to articles but they all seem very complicated and with all the extra stuff. Is there a simple solution to watch and record TV?
Thanks
Bob
Hi,

The short answer is that you will need a PVR backend to handle the TV tuner card and recording. Kodi doesn't do this.

If you are stuck with Windows, I'd have a look at MediaPortal. My understanding is that it has decent cable support, although I've never used this.

Mark
Personally I think the NextPVR backend with the Schedule Direct guide is the easiest Windows solution for the DCR 2650 with Kodi but you won't get any DRM content that you would get with WMC.    I would start by seeing if you can get EPG123 working with WMC with the Schedules Direct data.

Windows 7 is long in the tooth and unsupported and how long it continues to be supported by Kodi and other apps remains to be seen.

Martin.
(2020-05-11, 06:02)oldschoolbob Wrote: I hope someone can help me. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 with Charter cable card. I’ve had it for years and it works great. I have Windows 7 on my computer. Unfortunately Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 and I cannot get the Guide Listings to download. Upgrading to Windows 10 is not an option.I have downloaded and installed Kodi. I don’t need (or want) all the front-ends, back-ends, and extra add-ons. All I want to do is record and watch Charter Cable TV on my computer. I was hoping Kodi could do this. Obviously I am not a computer person.I have watched several videos and read many how-to articles but they all seem very complicated and with all the extra stuff. Is there a simple solution to watch and record TV?ThanksBob
Upgrading to Windows 10 is not an option why ?
If you are using Windows 10, TV channels marked 'Copy Freely' can be watched and recorded with the WinTV v10 or WinTV v8.5 application.

https://hauppauge.com/pages/support/supp...-2650.html
(2020-05-11, 15:09)mcelliott Wrote: MediaPortal

Thanks Mark. I'll look into MediaPortal.
(2020-05-11, 16:27)emveepee Wrote: Personally I think the NextPVR backend with the Schedule Direct guide is the easiest Windows solution for the DCR 2650 with Kodi but you won't get any DRM content that you would get with WMC.    I would start by seeing if you can get EPG123 working with WMC with the Schedules Direct data.
Martin, sorry to be such a dummy but you are talking way over my head. 

What is NextPVR backend? Where do I get it?

What is DRM content? 

What is EPG123? How do I try to get it to work with Windows Media?

Thanks

Bob
A while back I purchased a Laptop for my shop. I paid extra to have Windows 10 removed and Windows 7 installed. I'll never have Windows 10 - Sorry.

Bob
(2020-05-12, 10:49)oldschoolbob Wrote:
(2020-05-11, 16:27)emveepee Wrote: Personally I think the NextPVR backend with the Schedule Direct guide is the easiest Windows solution for the DCR 2650 with Kodi but you won't get any DRM content that you would get with WMC.    I would start by seeing if you can get EPG123 working with WMC with the Schedules Direct data.
Martin, sorry to be such a dummy but you are talking way over my head. 

What is NextPVR backend? Where do I get it?

What is DRM content? 

What is EPG123? How do I try to get it to work with Windows Media?

Thanks

Bob 
To use a TV tuner in Kodi you effectively have two parts, the addon which is installed in Kodi, and the backend server software somewhere on your network (often on the same machine as Kodi). ie, NextPVR addon in Kodi, and the NextPVR application acts as the backend (responsible for accessing the tuner, doing recordings, streaming live tv etc).

With NextPVR, you're best to get the backend software installed and setup before you try adding the Kodi addon into the mix. To install NextPVR you download and install it from https://nextpvr.com. After installing NextPVR, the first First step would usually be to head to the Setting->Devices, and you should see your DCR-2650 listed. (If not, install http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomeru...indows.exe, then restart the NextPVR service and the device should be there)

Regarding 'DRM content'. You cable company can encrypt some channels, making them inaccessible to any software (other than WMC). Most cable companies seem to leave the bulk of their channels unencrypted, except for a small handful of premium channels like HBO.
His comment about EPG123 was referring to sticking with your existing Win7 WMC setup, and just getting a Schedules Direct account (from https://schedulesdirect.org/) and using the EPG123 utility to load it's listings into WMC. This solution would at least allow you access to all content, including DRM protected content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Media Center replacement0