v18 UPnP: Display cover art of movies
I would like to request the feature to extract the cover art (jpeg/png) from an MP4 container. This extracted jpeg/png should be displayed from a UPnP client (eg. Windows Media Player).
Right now, no cover is displayed.

I would like to have the following behavior in Windows Media Player:

Server is Debian/buster with default minidlna server installation.

Right now no icon are displayed:

The MP4 stream should contain all information for this feature. In any case kodi internally has access to poster or fanart when media are properly setup.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:
Follow instruction from:

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html
Quote:To add an embedded cover/thumbnail:
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -i IMAGE -map 0 -map 1 -c copy -c:v:1 png -disposition:v:1 attached_pic out.mp4

Check in windows explorer that the file has an icon displayed at the bottom of the explorer screen:

Operating system version/name: LibreElec/9.2.1
Kodi version: v18.6
Windows Media Player on Windows 7/64bits.
Quote:The MP4 stream should contain all information for this feature. In any case kodi internally has access to poster or fanart when media are properly setup.

Kodi doesn't pull that information from the file itself. It scrapes the filename then goes to certain websites to get that art, information, and all othat metadata. None of it is in the .mp4 file. So that stuff is specific to Kodi.

ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -i IMAGE -map 0 -map 1 -c copy -c:v:1 png -disposition:v:1 attached_pic out.mp4

Yes this works but this has nothing to do with Kodi. This is an operation that needs to be done on every single .mp4 file you have with the proper image file. You may be able to extract the image from the database but a much simpler way is to find the movie on IMDB.com and get the art there, then add to each file. That is one of the places where Kodi scrapes it all from depending on which scraper you have chosen. I've never done the above command so I'm assuming it is an entire re-encode of the .mp4 file. As such it won't be an instant process. May take a couple minutes depending on hardware muscle.

And my apologies if I'm completely misunderstanding you on what you are asking for.
(2020-05-18, 18:28)jmgibson1981 Wrote:
Quote:The MP4 stream should contain all information for this feature. In any case kodi internally has access to poster or fanart when media are properly setup.

Kodi doesn't pull that information from the file itself. It scrapes the filename then goes to certain websites to get that art, information, and all othat metadata. None of it is in the .mp4 file. So that stuff is specific to Kodi.

It can get embedded art as well.

Maybe but unless the art is there in the first place it isnt available. I dont know anywhere that you can download mp4 of commercial movies or tv shows legally so it is usually ripped at home. As such unless it is done on rip or file creation it just isnt there to begin with.
My question was about UPnP, the storage location of the icon/coverart jpeg is an implementation detail. The fact is that the small size icon/coverart is not broadcast as part of the UPnP message. I'd like kodi/upnp implementation to also broadcast an icon as part of a movie (I am fine with a jpg stored right next to the mp4 movie or anywhere in the cloud).
I was told to discuss new feature request here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17870

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP: Display cover art of movies0