v19 Is there a way to ask Kodi to remember the Queue between restarts?
I often have a large playlist created by a mixer.  If I close Kodi and restart the Queue is empty. I'd like it to be remembered. Is that possible in Kodi currently? Is it something an addon is needed for? And if so, is there one already, or would I need to write one?

Essentially whenever the Queue changes it could be written to a file or database table, and one start up that could be consulted to repopulate the Queue. Possible? Easy?
No, resuming a music playlist after a restart is not something Kodi currently can do.
I dare say it is something that an addon could be written to achieve no idea if one already exists, OTOH it could be added as  a new core facility. Also some users not only want to resume a playlist but resume playback mid track (makes no sense for short songs, but perhaps if 10 mins into a 30 minute aria, or the hour long single track of Mike Oldfield's "Amarok" )
(2020-06-19, 10:22)DaveBlake Wrote: No, resuming a music playlist after a restart is not something Kodi currently can do.
I dare say it is something that an addon could be written to achieve no idea if one already exists, OTOH it could be added as  a new core facility. Also some users not only want to resume a playlist but resume playback mid track (makes no sense for short songs, but perhaps if 10 mins into a 30 minute aria, or the hour long single track of Mike Oldfield's "Amarok" )

Given Kodi 19 has nightly builds, methinks I'll file an issue on github. I certainly think this could/should be a core setting available. Most music players I've used all implement this. If you've built a large queue of songs and a listening to it, it's a valid use case to want to see it survive restarts. Less relevant for video of course as they tend to run much longer, unless of course you had a large queue music videos ;-)
(2020-06-19, 10:52)ThumbOne Wrote:
(2020-06-19, 10:22)DaveBlake Wrote: No, resuming a music playlist after a restart is not something Kodi currently can do.

Given Kodi 19 has nightly builds, methinks I'll file an issue on github. I certainly think this could/should be a core setting available. Most music players I've used all implement this. If you've built a large queue of songs and a listening to it, it's a valid use case to want to see it survive restarts. Less relevant for video of course as they tend to run much longer, unless of course you had a large queue music videos ;-)

Don't do that as Issues on Github are for bugs only, feature requests such as this should be made in the forum https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9
(2020-06-19, 10:52)ThumbOne Wrote: If you've built a large queue of songs and a listening to it, it's a valid use case to want to see it survive restarts.
Why would you build a large queue of songs? Sounds like an old fashioned manual .m3u playlists to me, and you could always save just a queue of songs like that if you want to turn Kodi off. Big Grin
Why not make use of the library instead - smart playlists built using rules.

Anyway a reasonable feature request, but please don't add it as an issue on Github we use that for bug reporting only.
(2020-06-19, 10:52)ThumbOne Wrote: If you've built a large queue of songs and a listening to it, it's a valid use case to want to see it survive restarts.

Just save the current playlist then and re-load it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-06-19, 14:43)DaveBlake Wrote:
Why would you build a large queue of songs? Sounds like an old fashioned manual .m3u playlists to me, and you could always save just a queue of songs like that if you want to turn Kodi off. Big Grin
Why not make use of the library instead - smart playlists built using rules.

Anyway a reasonable feature request, but please don't add it as an issue on Github we use that for bug reporting only.
Good thing github was down for a while ;-). Over there now I noticed indeed only a bug report template, so checked back here and here we are. Thanks for the tip!

.m3u doesn't cut it. I do something similar to rules based smart lists, but they are dynamic. Still, there are three ways I know to create large playlist on the fly, which I do because I want a few hours of interesting playback in the background.

1. the MusicIP mixer ... my preferrered approach. It produces easily the most interesting mixes digging deep into a collection sniffing out stylistically similar tracks. Alas it's dead and kept alive only by fans like me who continue to hold the 32 bit web service running as a daemon that can be consulted to create mixes (with a  Kodi addon)
  2. The LastFM mixer, which is similar just not as good, relying on human metadata (as opposed to very costly acoustic analysis that MusicIP does) it tends to scrape the surface of my collection, the popular songs. Bot does much the same thing and has its uses if that's exactly what you want, a more shallow list.
  3. Just queueing manually a pile of albums and compilations, one after the other.

There may be more ways, I'm not sure and Kodi's smart playlists for example. Tinkered with them a long time ago and moved on, and can't recall what they offer exactly.

But the point is two fold:
  1. The lists are generated on the fly and often playing in the background on and off for days ... yep.
  2. While technically feasible to use hard playlists (.m3u) not practically so, creates a lot of unwanted .m3u files, is a good deal of extra manual work when bulding a queueing  (with single click mix requests in Kore or Chorus2 say). Just not compatible with the use case.
  3. It's pretty common (I can't remember a music player that didn't and I've used a few) to retain state between restarts and it's comfortable. it means if you have to restart Kodi or the PC for any reason, you can keep going where you left off. It's rather unusual in my experience to be losing it (and probably just the result of a different historic focus, most music players being dedicated music players, Kodi being an all round kick-ass media system with much broader scope, and as noted early I think in video playback it's less relevant on the whole, I don't create huge queues, or any queues really usually, so much as pick something watch, pick something else, watch etc ... a different use case altogether because of the experiential difference between video and music consumption).
I used to have an addon called XBMC Resume years and years ago.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=168824

It would monitor what kodi was playing etc. And then resume the same state when kodi next loads. Was meant for car PCs running kodi.

However, the source has been lost etc.
But yeh, its possible using a addon service

Oh, someone had forked the source and done few updates here:
https://github.com/drax68/kodi-resume
(2020-06-19, 22:46)matthuisman Wrote: I used to have an addon called XBMC Resume years and years ago.

It would monitor what kodi was playing etc. And then resume the same state when kodi next loads. Was meant for car PCs running kodi.

That be awesome! I shall take a look ... this should of course be in kodi core IMHO and so I filed a feature request:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...id=2958458
(2020-06-19, 16:14)ThumbOne Wrote:  
  1. the MusicIP mixer ... my preferrered approach. It produces easily the most interesting mixes digging deep into a collection sniffing out stylistically similar tracks. Alas it's dead and kept alive only by fans like me who continue to hold the 32 bit web service running as a daemon that can be consulted to create mixes (with a  Kodi addon)
  2. The LastFM mixer, which is similar just not as good, relying on human metadata (as opposed to very costly acoustic analysis that MusicIP does) it tends to scrape the surface of my collection, the popular songs. Bot does much the same thing and has its uses if that's exactly what you want, a more shallow list.
May I ask where those 2 are to be found?
(2020-06-20, 09:11)Uatschitchun Wrote:
(2020-06-19, 16:14)ThumbOne Wrote:  
May I ask where those 2 are to be found?

You may indeed. I don't kow off hand anymore and will have to get back to you. But for now:
  1. The LastFM mixers I used as is if I recall, and will have to find out where the addon is available for you.  it is standalone and queries the lastfm website to produce mixes.
  2. The MusicIP mixer is a tad special, a rought copy preexisted somewhere (again will have to find out where I got it) but I am developing it further myself and requires the MuysicIP webservice to be running. That too I can help you with but will need to find where it's available or else share it with you (I have Linux 32bit binaries) if that helps.
(2020-06-20, 03:00)ThumbOne Wrote:
(2020-06-19, 22:46)matthuisman Wrote: I used to have an addon called XBMC Resume years and years ago.

That be awesome! I shall take a look ... this should of course be in kodi core IMHO and so I filed a feature request:

Out of interest I just tried this Kodi Resume script on Leia 18.7 and it still seems to work. I queue a load of songs, entered the Playlist window showing the queued tracks, used S key to bring up Shutdown menu and choose exit, upon starting Kodi again playlist was loaded and playback resumed from previous point and Playlist window was automatically opened again (script has setting "Current window" so it monitors which window you are in so it can return you to that window). Note it was only a brief test so I can't testify there aren't bugs due to it not having been updated in 5 years.

So I think it does exactly what you want @ThumbOne

@scott967 I see you expressed an interest in this type of functionality in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=355312

@matthuisman I think you would make a few people happy if you took it up again and updated it to python 3 to it make Matrix compatible.
(2020-06-20, 13:42)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-06-20, 03:00)ThumbOne Wrote:

Out of interest I just tried this Kodi Resume script on Leia 18.7 and it still seems to work. I queue a load of songs, entered the Playlist window showing the queued tracks, used S key to bring up Shutdown menu and choose exit, upon starting Kodi again playlist was loaded and playback resumed from previous point and Playlist window was automatically opened again (script has setting "Current window" so it monitors which window you are in so it can return you to that window). Note it was only a brief test so I can't testify there aren't bugs due to it not having been updated in 5 years.

@scott967 I see you expressed an interest in this type of functionality in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=355312

@matthuisman I think you would make a few people happy if you took it up again and updated it to python 3 to it make Matrix compatible.
Thanks heaps for testing it! I'm on Kodi 19 now so we shall see. Will try it soon, have to sort out some other issues first ;-).
(2020-06-21, 02:08)ThumbOne Wrote:
(2020-06-20, 13:42)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-06-20, 03:00)ThumbOne Wrote: That be awesome! I shall take a look ... this should of course be in kodi core IMHO and so I filed a feature request:

Thanks heaps for testing it! I'm on Kodi 19 now so we shall see. Will try it soon, have to sort out some other issues first ;-).
I forked that "resume" addon eons ago, but it seemed like a sledge hammer approach to just saving a playlist with a currently playing position.   I did have a quick look at the source and it looks easy to update to matrix.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2020-06-21, 20:59)scott967 Wrote:
(2020-06-21, 02:08)ThumbOne Wrote:
(2020-06-20, 13:42)jjd-uk Wrote: Out of interest I just tried this Kodi Resume script on Leia 18.7 and it still seems to work. I queue a load of songs, entered the Playlist window showing the queued tracks, used S key to bring up Shutdown menu and choose exit, upon starting Kodi again playlist was loaded and playback resumed from previous point and Playlist window was automatically opened again (script has setting "Current window" so it monitors which window you are in so it can return you to that window). Note it was only a brief test so I can't testify there aren't bugs due to it not having been updated in 5 years.

I forked that "resume" addon eons ago, but it seemed like a sledge hammer approach to just saving a playlist with a currently playing position.   I did have a quick look at the source and it looks easy to update to matrix.

scott s.

I forked it and took a look at the python. Some learning to do there, but yes, looks like overkill. It's not well documented internally, and if I fix it for Matrix (basically Python 3 and any changes to the API) I'll probably be documenting it internally properly. It uses a SQLite database, which is fine, it's implementation of timers looks dubious to me but hey we shall see.As ever, I think in time this should be Kodi core. But this addon is a great start!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a way to ask Kodi to remember the Queue between restarts?0