Kodi headless music player
Hi, I use coreelec mainly but I am open to any other platform except windows for this. Basically I want to be able to use Kodi only for music playback, without the use of a display. This is possible right now using a remote app but it doesnt allow the creation of playlists which is the only deal breaker for me. Is there some addon that can be used to achieve this. Which also includes high-res, iso, playback etc from local and network storage, and connected USB devices? I know squeezebox emulation is one option but I haven't had luck getting it to work flawlessly.

For eg, is it possible to have jellyfin installed as a player on kodi or CE and have it controlled from a phone remote app?
I assume that you are running a Jellyfin Server on your network.
You can continue to use CoreELEC or LibreELEC, either is fine.

• Install Jellyfin Kodi or Jellycon addon and enter your credentials.
  • Install the Jellyfin client on the device (phone) you want to use as remote control.
  • That may be restricted to android right now, not sure about the ios client.
  • Open the client and connect to Jellyfin Kodi/Jellycon using the 'cast' option.
  • Now any item played on this client will be play on Kodi.
    •  (NB: nothing plays on the phone while it is connected)

You have access to all the features of Jellyfin available in the client. If the Jellyfin client can create and manipulate playlists then you have access to that. Just connect when you want to play or even after you have started playing.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
LongMan
What are you using for a remote?  The official Kore remote supports making playlists.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
@docwra started a thread in 2017 that you might find interesting...  [GUIDE] Build a headless kodi music system for £150
Quote:Posted by black_eagle - 2020-06-26, 15:08
What are you using for a remote?  The official Kore remote supports making playlists.
But it doesnt seem to allow saving those playlists. You can just add songs to queue for the current session.
Quote:Posted by LongMan - 2020-06-26, 13:34
I assume that you are running a Jellyfin Server on your network.
You can continue to use CoreELEC or LibreELEC, either is fine.
 Thank you, will check this out.
@extremeaudio

An easier way to quote...

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-06-29, 10:57)Karellen Wrote: An easier way to quote...
Ah! Thanks. Had no idea about this. Looked for the multi-quote button all over and then proceeded to the best of my knowledge Wink
(2020-06-26, 14:34)LongMan Wrote:  
  • Open the client and connect to Jellyfin Kodi/Jellycon using the 'cast' option.
Hi, this worked like a charm. Thanks. 

Just a couple questions..

1. In the cast menu is shows 2 instances of the kodi box, one suffixed with kodi and the other with DLNA. Which one to choose for better/ loss-free playback quality?
2. In remote control mode does the audio get routed through the phone and then cast? Or does it act as a pure remote control? Latter is preferred.
Quote:1. In the cast menu is shows 2 instances of the kodi box, one suffixed with kodi and the other with DLNA. Which one to choose for better/ loss-free playback quality?
Unfortunately, I cannot help with that one. DLNA is disabled on my server as I don't need it. I think Kodi plays the file directly.
Quote:2. In remote control mode does the audio get routed through the phone and then cast? Or does it act as a pure remote control? Latter is preferred.
The latter. If you disconnect while it is playing, it just continues. I think it sends a playlist to Kodi and Kodi plays it. Once it is playing you can use the remote control feature of the client to control it. However, from Kodi it is the same as starting the item from the GUI.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
LongMan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi headless music player0