eBay action on use of the name "Kodi"
I am a long-time Kodi-user and found eBay's action of suspending my account for 3 days and de-listing a computer I was selling on there a little over the top.
Quote:We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Enabling infringement policy. Listings or items that encourage or enable copyright or trademark infringement are not allowed
What activity didn't follow the policy
We don't allow any items sold with Kodi on the item, or any items that advertise compatibility with Kodi due to the nature of that product.
What you need to do next
You can't relist items we've ended. Please ensure your current and future listings follow this policy.
What is the policy
Hardware, software, items, or information that enables or encourages infringement are not allowed. Examples include:
- Software or devices designed to circumvent copyright protections
- Modchips designed to allow video game consoles to play pirated video games
- Listing branded packaging and suggesting it be used to pass off counterfeit products as authentic
- Satellite and TV descramblers, modchips, and other devices and software used to unlock, illegally load, or otherwise give free access to paid content are not allowed
- Services or information about how to gain free access to paid content
How this affects your account
Because you may not have been aware of this policy, we're sending this notice to educate you about it and ask that you follow this policy in the future.

- Listings that didn't follow this policy have been ended. 

We have credited all associated fees except for payments processing fees and the final value fee for your listing(s).

Listings that don't follow this policy in the future will be ended. In addition, there will be a temporary 3-day restriction placed on your account, and your other listings will be hidden from search during this period.  All fees paid or payable for listings that are ended and/or hidden from search will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Why we have this policy
This policy helps our members to comply with government regulations and various laws that protect intellectual property rights.
More information and help
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/membe...cy?id=4377

I don't know if it is Kodi's actual collusion with eBay of their (unfortunate) policy that fraudulent Kodi-"branded" fakes be banned there, but apparently using the word "Kodi" (...without an ®?) to describe the media player i used successfully, for years, on the computer I was selling is a violation of Terms.

It is super-unfortunate that, if Kodi is not initiating this bot-actuated consequence for Sellers there (which is pretty harsh for the nature of what my actual Listing was for - not a Kodi box, modified-software, etc), that eBay has some serious issues with their algorithm that flags any listing with the word "Kodi" in it and takes it down automatically.

<rant>
It is not justifiable, and I hope that someone from Kodi can advise me on their position with either using (or not) using their name anywhere on the internet for any reason - in an Kodi-centric and -unrelated, item-selling format related to the fraud I am not a part of - but, that I am a part of, is, rather, a promotion of a stable, staple-of-a media player that I recommended as 'successfully-used' on a[ny] computer.
</rant>
It's certainly not some "bot" on our part that triggers these type of sales on eBay, but it's more because of Kodi's "reputation" towards piracy in general.
Because the type of add-ons that we already ban from this forum, some other companies are taking a firm stand. Don't look at Team Kodi for that.

Our position in general on "Kodi boxes" is clear and outlined here as well as in the Piracy policy which is part of our forum rules (wiki).
(2020-07-06, 07:21)Klojum Wrote: It's certainly not some "bot" on our part that triggers these type of sales on eBay, but it's more because of Kodi's "reputation" towards piracy in general.
Because the type of add-ons that we already ban from this forum, some other companies are taking a firm stand. Don't look at Team Kodi for that.

Our position in general on "Kodi boxes" is clear and outlined here as well as in the Piracy policy which is part of our forum rules (wiki).

Thank you, Klojum -
it is good to understand that Kodi is not initiating this bot-actuated consequence for Sellers on eBay.
if i wasn't clear in the OP - i was not selling a "Kodi box" etc; i was selling a computer on which i used the Kodi app (installed through the Microsoft Store) on my PC.

my comment that Kodi may be working with platforms such as eBay to remove the fraudulent transactions is based in the "trademark takedown notices" (as described in "The Solution" section of your "here" hyperlink): i didn't think Kodi would mind me promoting successful, long-term use of their media player on my PC [that i was selling] by name... and that's the nature of my comment and request for clarification (thank you). according to eBay, I can't even use the word "Kodi" in my Listing, whether it was for a shirt or for a PC on which I used Kodi as a media player.

I totally get that eBay may be acting on there own, and that's sad that they
  1. don't understand the nature of your app, and
  2. don't 'see' the context in which the character-string 'Kodi' appeared before 'deciding' it was a match for a Violation of Terms in their structure and before delivering the finality of their [automated] decision to their customer.
thanks, again, for the clarification, and rock on, Team Kodi!
~A Long-Time Kodi Champion and Recommender
Whilst I see your point completely, it's actually quite refreshing that eBay is banning the sale of these 'fully-loaded Kodi box' things which have plagued the software for years. Yes they are being a bit over-zealous by simply flagging the name but it is good to see a company actually doing something about this Smile
(2020-07-06, 09:29)FXB78 Wrote: Whilst I see your point completely, it's actually quite refreshing that eBay is banning the sale of these 'fully-loaded Kodi box' things which have plagued the software for years. Yes they are being a bit over-zealous by simply flagging the name but it is good to see a company actually doing something about this Smile
Nod
And yet on eBay UK, there are currently 215 listings for 'hackintosh', which is a term specifically used to describe a generic PC that is capable of running, and includes, a pirated copy of MacOS.

I have specifically reported many of these over the years and they don't get taken down.

Very much double standards, but I suppose eBay get their cut!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
eBay action on use of the name "Kodi"0