Can't Get HDHomeRun To Run ON Kodi Leia 18.8
So, I got this HDHomeRun tuner about a week ago.  It's connected to my modem via ethernet cable.  The installation of the HDHR tuner was done in one of the PCs in my bedroom.  In the living room I setup a 4K Firestick on my smart tv.  I downloaded Kodi Leia 18.8 on to the firestick.  Went to PVR clients and installed the one for HDHR.  This is where my problem begins.  I'm not sure what step I missed, but when I go to Addons and click on HDHR it won't play any live channels even though a scan has already been done on the bedroom pc.  I thought HDHR would automatically connect to a home network.  In my smartphone the HDHR app looks like it's working fine.  The scanned channels do play on my phone when connected to wifi, but not on Kodi.  I'm assuming it's a network configuration issue, nonetheless, any input would be greatly appreciated.
This addon does not use a backend server so you need to setup each Kodi instance. 

Martin
(2020-09-18, 15:23)emveepee Wrote: This addon does not use a backend server so you need to setup each Kodi instance. 

Martin

Is there a thread you can direct me to where I can learn how to do that?
The model tuner you purchased, based on the image in the link provided, is a "legacy" device that isn't capable of streaming channels via HTTP which is necessary for use with the Kodi HDHomeRun PVR addon.  SiliconDust has done a lot for the legacy devices to generally interoperate with applications like Kodi, but I think while you are probably seeing Channels and even Guide data due to their efforts, the inability of the device to stream over HTTP is going to pretty much be a show-stopper.
One further option could be to drop in a "man in the middle" backend solution like TVHeadEnd or NextPVR.

Whilst HDHomeRun doesn't need a backend normally, both of those can "see" such devices and Kodi can see them. So it might be worth a test to see if you can install such a server and if it can see your HDHR device.

TvHeadEnd - https://tvheadend.org/
NextPVR - https://www.nextpvr.com/

The server wouldn't be able to live on the Firestick (it isn't powerful enough), but it could be installed on another device on your network and the stick can maybe read from that (as could any other Kodi installs on your network). On the presumption that the server and the HDHR can talk to each other of course.

Both of them are free, so could be worth a try. And both will give the added benefit of being able to record stuff for free too.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
As I was playing around with the HDHR setup in my bedroom's pc...the option for a NAS install popped out.  So I clicked on it and this came out...
Then, out of curiosity, I went to go check the System Info on my Firestick's Kodi...and this came out...

I'm not sure how all this information is relevant to this thread, but I thought I'd shared it in case it might be.
(2020-09-19, 12:19)Ralphie G Wrote: As I was playing around with the HDHR setup in my bedroom's pc...the option for a NAS install popped out.  So I clicked on it and this came out...
Then, out of curiosity, I went to go check the System Info on my Firestick's Kodi...and this came out...

I'm not sure how all this information is relevant to this thread, but I thought I'd shared it in case it might be.

SiliconDust offers a DVR service that you can install on a Linux-based NAS, a Windows PC, and even Android, but you have to subscribe to it -- it's not free -- and their DVR service doesn't really work with their legacy tuners regardless, so my opinion is that would be a waste of money for you to even try (https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/using_th...y_hardware):
Quote:Note that older HDHomeRun tuners cannot be used to make a recording with the HDHomeRun DVR software.

I agree with DarrenHill's suggestions; your best bet is a setup like TVHeadEnd or NextPVR provides that can sit between Kodi and the tuners. I don't think it was noted, but you would then disable/remove the HDHomeRun PVR addon from Kodi in favor of the PVR addon for the solution you've chosen.
Well, to give you all an update.  I did manage to get NextPVR up and running with Kodi in my Firestick.  The only drawback is that the guide doesn't have the channel logos and programming information.  When I first set up NextPVR with Kodi in my Dell pc (also used as the backend), I was able to pull in the channel logos and programming info when when clicking on the info option while a channel was running.  I'm not sure what I'm might have done different in my backend or firestick frontend for this features to turn off, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
If it is working in the NextPVR web server it will work with Kodi.  It might be as simple as clearing PVR data to reload everything.   If not open a post on the NextPVR forum with your Kodi debug log and NextPVR logs and we can figure this out.

Martin
This made me look at my own 18.8 setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Get HDHomeRun To Run ON Kodi Leia 18.80