Kodi not playing a specific encode
I'm trying to play the following file, but no matter what I do, all I get is a black screen with no audio:

https://pastebin.com/UZfaJkid

The file plays fine if I either play it directly with VLC or via Jellyfin (which uses MPV). Kodi runs on Libreelec installed on a Pi 3. Here's a log:

https://pastebin.com/mZghcUKe

Please note that the file is being opened via the symlink located at /storage/jellyfin/simlinks/Series/Gurren Lagann/S01E1.mkv
Code:
NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NORMAL"

Must have debug logging enabled.  Also, your jellyfin addon is throwing lots of exceptions.

scott s.
That's a H264 Hi10 video which means no hardware acceleration so it's software decode only, and I very much the RPI has the necessary CPU power to do the software decode.

I'm guessing that is a anime series, as only stupid anime scene encoders use that format.
(2021-01-14, 03:25)jjd-uk Wrote: That's a H264 Hi10 video which means no hardware acceleration so it's software decode only, and I very much the RPI has the necessary CPU power to do the software decode.

I'm guessing that is a anime series, as only stupid anime scene encoders use that format.

Yeah, I was assuming the Pi would be able to decode x264 10bit 720p, since it has no problem with x265 8bit 720p. As it turns out, anime encoders being anime encoders, this file also used ordered chapters, which I'm guessing is what made the video unplayable.

Eventually I ended up switching to a different encode, although the series is so bad that the same not playing might have been a divine sign telling me to watch something else.
(2021-02-10, 20:00)random_human_being Wrote: Yeah, I was assuming the Pi would be able to decode x264 10bit 720p, since it has no problem with x265 8bit 720p. As it turns out, anime encoders being anime encoders, this file also used ordered chapters, which I'm guessing is what made the video unplayable.

x264 10bit is an odd and uncommon combo to begin with. It may be popular among anime people, but not so much among hardware/gpu manufacturers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not playing a specific encode0