> Vincent Teoh's YouTube review
Chigz Tech YouTube review
> Home Theater Hobbyist YouTube review
> Sound & Vision Hands-on review
> TechHive's Tips
> CNN review (fairly in-depth)
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Interesting, I wonder how well Kodi will be implemented in this version.
Either way I am buy one as the wife was upset with me selling the old AppleTV 4k.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Another cool thing is it comes with Wi-Fi 6 built-in.
I would like to see how does the Adjust Color Balance feature works.
Damn, I just spend $250 on X-rite i1dsiplay Pro to calibrate my TV.
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
I doubt very much the iPhone will compete with an i1Display for calibration.  It might be easier, sure, but as a meter for colour it's garbage.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Apple advertises 2160p HDR at 60 fps.
Is there a framerate limit on the old ATV 4K? Just 30 fps at HDR?
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
(2021-04-21, 08:48)shrugg1e Wrote: Apple advertises 2160p HDR at 60 fps.
Is there a framerate limit on the old ATV 4K? Just 30 fps at HDR?

Apparently yes.  BBC iPlayer UHD HDR includes 2160p50 HLG HDR content for live sport - and I believe the lack of support for >30fps at 2160p HDR has been an issue with rolling this out to current ATV 4Ks. (However 2160p50 in SDR is supported I believe - so I'm surprised at this limitation - unless it's to do with tone mapping processing requirements, as replay of SDR and HDR content otherwise is just adding a few bits of metadata to an HDMI info frame - h.265 decoding of 2160p50 SDR and 2160p50 HDR is identical - and the current ATV4K has h.265 acceleration - even for 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 unusually, because of Airplay mirroring requirements for Mac and iPhone/iPads not to colour smear)

I believe tvOS has had HLG support for a while - but it will definitely need it in the new device as iPhone 12 DV material is based around an HLG core stream (not HDR 10 as DV UHD BDs are)
(2021-04-21, 02:15)movie78 Wrote: I would like to see how does the Adjust Color Balance feature works.
Damn, I just spend $250 on X-rite i1dsiplay Pro to calibrate my TV.
The New ATV 4K will only be adjusting its output video - not calibrating the TV itself - so will have a far more limited range of adjustments (as it will be trying to counteract a mis-calibrated TV).  How this will work with DV content is anyone's guess at the moment...

MacRumors reporting the new feature will also be available to the current ATV HD and ATV 4K models too when tvOS 14.5 is released next week https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/20/app...e-feature/

Also some suggestions that it may not be applicable to TVs using Dolby Vision (as some running the Beta with DV TVs are reporting there is no need to use it and DV causes the tvOS grey the option out)
(2021-04-21, 02:55)bossanova808 Wrote: I doubt very much the iPhone will compete with an i1Display for calibration.  It might be easier, sure, but as a meter for colour it's garbage.

Still a great step forward for simple TV calibration, I am wondering why TV manufacture or these streaming devices has not implement something like this, I guess they are all waiting for Apple to do it first and everyone will follow.
It's a pretty complicated problem to solve. 

The only reason Apple can do it, I think, is that they control all the hardware so they can build characterisation tables into their app to reflect the difference in using e.g. an iPhone 12 vs. and iPhone SE as the measurement device.

With the truly massively diverse hardware in the Android ecosystem, this would be impossible.  You could attempt to baseline the measuring device, but how - you can't rely on the phone OR the TV to be accurate & to give you a baseline measurement.  You could sell a swatch target or something, but then you're in to selling product/hardware and that is astronomically more difficult.

I like Android for the freedom it provides, but this is just one of those things where the Apple approach really pays off (assuming this, in practise, actually works ok).

But my point stands - if you have MUCH better hardware to do this, you're in a much better place already.

To me the more exciting developments in this area have been the integration of Calman calibration stuff directly into TVs, so there's a relatively easy AND very high quality way to do this with e.g. Panasonic OLEDs.

But a more general, accessible solution, if it actually works, would be great for a lot of people, I'm sure.
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
(And noggins comment above is useful too - this is 'software calibration' - i.e. modifies the signal between the device and the TV, withb all the disadvantages and limits that has, vs. actual hardware calibration of the TV)...
(2021-04-22, 02:13)bossanova808 Wrote: (And noggins comment above is useful too - this is 'software calibration' - i.e. modifies the signal between the device and the TV, withb all the disadvantages and limits that has, vs. actual hardware calibration of the TV)...

Yes - and if you have a Dolby Vision display with the ATV 4K in DV mode it's apparently inhibited anyway (presumably Apple can't, or Dolby won't allow them to, modify the DV video on-the-fly?)
I am just happy they released that remote to be honest as the Apple TV 4k itself is a really fast device as it already was, just the remote was a real pain. Now for me it is the perfect combination of a remote having a dpad AND the possibility to fast swipe over large lists. Sadly Kodi has to be "side loaded" on it...in the past have been using MrMC and for my german live tv (1080i h264) I could easely do 2x yadif and had a perfect picture. And now I can even as a non super pro use calibrate my TV - for me all perfect. Though I have to say I am not about audio, stereo on the TV speakers is good enough for me.
Apple tv box was/is the absolute best  for me performance wise plus its user interface is so much better than cramped android tv screen. , But it had too many little "glitches" , Kodi obviously being no1. being stuck with the very basic MrMC version.
BBC iplayer app on ATV , doesn't support subtitles ,that was the deal breaker for the wife and I, I had to swap the ATV for a £30 fire stick on the lounge TV so the wife could watch iplayer with subs.
Then of course that horrible remote.
Was gutted to in the end sell my ATV and buy a shield.
Is there a way to install Kodi on Apple TV 4k?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote0