noob question re video source
Scenario is Pi/Openelec/Kodi with 5 drives attached, can be viewed directly on TV, also wirelessly on windows laptop, but I can't make my Linux laptop see these drives. I'm obviously doing something basically wrong but I don't know what it is. Is there an EASY tutorial somewhere I can use?

Thanks
OpenELEC...? Really? Because that application is identified as prehistoric by now.

And "how" are you trying to see the RPi drives?
(2021-05-04, 14:50)Klojum Wrote: OpenELEC...? Really? Because that application is identified as prehistoric by now.
I like it because I don't use the Pi for anything but Kodi! What should I be using?

And "how" are you trying to see the RPi drives?
new video source, then samba by entering the ip address of the Pi (no luck); then nfs ditto (no joy)
Sorry can't remember how I did it on my Windoze laptop
LibreELEC is the fork/successor of OpenELEC. OpenELEC will (AFAIK) only support Samba/SMBv1, while "everyone" defaults to SMBv2 or higher because of the tremendous security holes in SMBv1. LibreELEC is fully uptodate, and will support also the newer samba versions. OpenELEC may still be working fine, but in terms of connectivity it is out of date.

OpenELEC nor LibreELEC have a NFS server onboard, so that is not going to work. Both have a Samba file server onboard, which with LibreELEC can be configured via the LibreELEC Settings Add-on in terms of active Samba version support.
(2021-05-04, 15:10)Klojum Wrote: LibreELEC is the fork/successor of OpenELEC. OpenELEC will (AFAIK) only support Samba/SMBv1, while "everyone" defaults to SMBv2 or higher because of the tremendous security holes in SMBv1. LibreELEC is fully uptodate, and will support also the newer samba versions. OpenELEC may still be working fine, but in terms of connectivity it is out of date.
Sorry! It is LibreElec! The memory is obviously going!

OpenELEC nor LibreELEC have a NFS server onboard, so that is not going to work. Both have a Samba file server onboard, which with LibreELEC can be configured via the LibreELEC Settings Add-on in terms of active Samba version support.
Didn't understand any of the above line.
I think I just don't understand networking in Linux. It seems very easy in Windows, by comparison. For instance, I've got all 5 drives attached to the Pi set up as folders on my W10 laptop but can't figure out how to do the same on my Minty laptop.
Which file manager are you using on your Linux laptop?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Um... the default one for LinuxMint.
(2021-05-04, 16:33)wiab4355 Wrote: Um... the default one for LinuxMint.

Umm, I presume that is Nemo then?

Network shares in Nemo.

Network shares in Thunar.

Network shares in Nautilus.

Learning Linux the hard way !!
Not sure what to make of the images. Are you suggesting that if I click on Network, the file manager will find the drives connected to the Pi all by itself?
Type in the protocol IP address of your LibreELEC box in the URL bar your file manager, and see what happens: smb://libreelec-ip-address
Thanks, that sort of worked. My file manager is something called Caja and it doesn't have a URL bar. But it does have a sort of network places link and when i clicked on that, there was a libreelec icon! Clicked on that, entered my username and password and, by golly, I was in! Streaming is almost impossible (unless I want to watch a slideshow), but copying a video file to my desktop works (and hopefully watching later will also work).
Thanks again for the pointers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
noob question re video source0