Faster way to assign tv episodes without changing original file names?
First time trying to use EMM with tv shows. I don't want to change the original file names so naturally the show and episodes are all wrong.

Fixing the show is easy: right-click title > change show > enter imdb id manually
For fixing each episode, I do the same thing per episode (eg: right-click > change episode). Only problem is that it takes about a minute for the episode-selection list to come up. I guess EMM is retrieving data from the internet and there is no caching of the episode data.

Is there a faster way to do this?

Maybe take an episode nfo file and use a script to create nfos for the other episodes and then load the nfos into EMM?
The episodes are just listed without a season and episode number in Ember? Can you take a screenshot of a file name and the episode list in Ember?

Right, the episode list is not cached. The long time to show the list depends on the data scrapers you've enabled. If you just enable TVDb to get the inital season and episode numbers and TVDb ID you can disable all other scraper. TVDb provides a complete episode list with one API call and should be showed in seconds. After you've assined all episodes to an episode you can re-enable the other scrapers and run a full rescrape of a tv show.
The files I'm importing don't follow the SxxExx format and may contain text that confuses the parser such as resolution (720x480p) and audio info (AC3x2 2.0x2).
Quote:Great Teacher Onizuka - 01 (DVDRip 720x480p x265 HEVC AC3x2 2.0x2).mkv
So I end up with all the episodes listed as season 0 or 720 and episode 480 or 02.

I attempted to manually create the minimal nfo files needed for EMM to recognize the show/episode per file:
Quote:tvshow.nfo
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<tvshow xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <imdb>tt0315008</imdb>
  <title>GTO</title>
</tvshow>
Quote:<filename>.nfo
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<episodedetails>
  <season>1</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
</episodedetails>
But EMM would ignore the season and episode tags from the nfo file. I did some research and it looks like Kodi ignores them as well!
Quote:https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Episodes
Episodes must abide by the standard filenaming conventions even when using nfo files. Kodi determines the season and episode numbering (S01E01) from the episode filename, not from the NFO file.
So it looks like it's currently not possible for kodi/EMM recognize my tv show files unless I change the filenames. Argh.

I wonder if I can have my tv show library be made up of symlinks where only the symlinks are named to "correctly".
Maybe FileBot? I think the tool can scrape episodes by title.
(2021-05-28, 03:28)DanCooper Wrote: Maybe FileBot? I think the tool can scrape episodes by title.
Thanks, but I don't want to rename any of my files.

Problem is:
  • Kodi ignores season/episode tags in nfo and tries to get that info from the filename.
  • EMM ignores season/episode tags in nfo and tries to get that info from the filename.
    • Can this behavior be changed so it only gets season/episode info from nfo file if available? Then maybe EMM can use the kodi api interface to upload the tv show information directly to the kodi database, bypassing the need for kodi to load the nfo file.
Depending on your filesystem, you could make a separate folder for the Kodi library and populate it with properly named symlinks to the original files. That way you would have files with both names without using twice the space.

Last I saw, FileBot supports creating symlinks on rename.
(2021-06-11, 10:11)MikrySoft Wrote: Depending on your filesystem, you could make a separate folder for the Kodi library and populate it with properly named symlinks to the original files. That way you would have files with both names without using twice the space.

Last I saw, FileBot supports creating symlinks on rename.
I didn't know that FileBot supports symlinks. I'll try it out. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Faster way to assign tv episodes without changing original file names?0