• 7(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON VFD/IR Receiver (used by many HTPC chassis)
droopy4u Wrote:I can confirm, just tried it and result is the same...
So we're in this ship together. Somebody who want's to steer us in the right direction?

did you try my suggestions?

another one:
once you installed, try "modinfo lirc_imon".
It will show some info. Make sure your model's id 15c2:0036 is there. Otherwise, the module compiled won't work.
rickx Wrote:did you try my suggestions?

another one:
once you installed, try "modinfo lirc_imon".
It will show some info. Make sure your model's id 15c2:0036 is there. Otherwise, the module compiled won't work.

Thanks for the sources.list, this got me a whole lot further, I was able to get to almost the last step, but there's an error there, for now I'm going to call it a night, and will debug further tomorrow, because I think I saw some info about this in this topic already:

Code:
(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~/lirc$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source
Removing all DKMS Modules
Done.
Adding Module to DKMS build system
Doing initial module build

Error!  Build of lirc_atiusb.ko failed for: 2.6.24-19-generic (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/lirc/0.8.3/build/ for more information.
Installing initial module

Error! Could not locate lirc_atiusb.ko for module lirc in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (i686) first.
Done.
(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~/lirc$

Thanks rickx Cool
sudo apt-get remove lirc-modules-source
and let all other lirc-modules-source comands away now.
rickx Wrote:sudo apt-get remove lirc-modules-source
and let all other lirc-modules-source comands away now.

Hi Rickx, thanks for all the help, I removed the lirc-modules-source, but still no luck.
If I keep following the startpost, here's where I get stuck:

----
Code:
sudo cp .CVS/lirc/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c /usr/src/lirc-0.8.3/drivers/lirc_imon
This doesn't work because the lirc dir. does not exist, I can create it bus no luck there after creation.

also
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
doesn't work

error:
Code:
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: lirc is broken or not fully installed
droopy4u Wrote:Hi Rickx, thanks for all the help, I removed the lirc-modules-source, but still no luck.
If I keep following the startpost, here's where I get stuck:

----
Code:
sudo cp .CVS/lirc/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c /usr/src/lirc-0.8.3/drivers/lirc_imon
This doesn't work because the lirc dir. does not exist, I can create it bus no luck there after creation.
without lirc_modules_source that won't work anyway.
download lirc from the website. use
Code:
wget urloflircfile
from the shell. then decomress, enter lirc...something decompressed dir and look for readme or install files. patch the c file before compiling or edit it manually.
droopy4u Wrote:also
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
doesn't work

error:
Code:
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: lirc is broken or not fully installed
dpkg- comands work with packages you installed through apt-get, not compiled ones.(but I might be wrong...Huh)
it seems you are trying something a bit too hard for your actual linux knowledge. without that you're likely to fail in this situation unless you find a step by step guide of someone using exactly your same hw/sw setup...otherwise there's A LOT of variables to consider here.
rickx Wrote:it seems you are trying something a bit too hard for your actual linux knowledge.

You're so right Laugh that's why I went for the live version, because most of it just works.

Problem is, I just bought myself a brand new hardware box, and have everything else working fine in XBMC live (not without a glitch though), except for this issue.

I'm not willing to give up yet, because what's a Mediacenter without a remote.
Does it help me if I want to use it with a harmony, or is this still the same trouble?

Maybe it's better if I open a topic in the Live section because it seems that the troubles I have are due to the fact that the steps needed for the Live version are a bit different from the steps mentioned here.
droopy4u Wrote:I'm not willing to give up yet,

Yes, that's the attitude it takes Nod

If you have a harmony, upload a windows media center remote to it and try...seems they work out of the box.
rickx Wrote:Yes, that's the attitude it takes Nod

If you have a harmony, upload a windows media center remote to it and try...seems they work out of the box.

True, I've used XBMC live succesfull already with a windows remote, but this box is for another room in my home, and because it has a build in receiver I was hoping to get this working...also the receiver from microsoft are out of stock everywhere.
scurra Wrote:Thanks for that great tutorial. My Setup now works great but the MCE Remote doesn't. I also put in the imon pad conf file which works nicely but every other remote i try doesn't get recognized ... It seems to me the ir receiver is limited to the imon pad remote but that cant be true, as in windows mce works nicely too.
Any ideas?

I do have the exact same problem. No remote but the Imon pad (I have a Silverstone ML02) work. irrecord doesn't see anything (tthough it does see the Imon pad)

Is this something to set up during the compilation? I'd like to use the remote of my Onkyo receiver which has a very cool universal remote-like feature.

Any one managed to use another remote than the iMon pad?
Thanks!
Hey people,

In the tutorial, lirc & lcd are started using cron, which I guess is not the best way to go.

I tried to make a daemon, based on the standard lirc debian daemon, but I just managed to have lirc working, not the LCD, as I have basically no knowledge.

I had to copy the lirc executable since it wouldn't start otherwise, so I have lirc running the /dev/lirc0 and lirc1 running the /dev/lirc1.

I added the chmod & LCDd lines directly below the lirc lines but I guess we should use start-stop-daemon (as the lcd doesn't work), but I don't really know how.

Ok, up to you know to make it work now Wink Here is what I use.

Code:
#! /bin/sh
#
# This is an init script for Debian 2.1 Slink distribution.
# Copy it to /etc/init.d/lirc and type
# > update-rc.d lirc defaults 20
#

test -f /usr/local/sbin/lircd || exit 0
test -f /usr/local/sbin/lircmd || exit 0

case "$1" in
  start)
    echo -n "Starting lirc daemon: lircd"
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd -- --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc0 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc0.pid --listen=8765
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd1 -- --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc1 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc1.pid --output=/dev/lircd --connect=localhost:8765
    chmod 777 /dev/lcd0
    LCDd
    echo "."
    ;;
  stop)
    echo -n "Stopping lirc daemon: lircd"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd
    start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd1
    echo "."
    ;;
  reload|force-reload)
    start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --signal 1 --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd
    ;;
  restart)
    echo -n "Stopping lirc daemon: lircd"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd
    sleep 1
    echo -n "Starting lirc daemon: lircd"
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd -- --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc0 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc0.pid --listen=8765
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd1 -- --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc1 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc1.pid --output=/dev/lircd --connect=localhost:8765
    echo "."
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/lircd {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload}"
    exit 1

esac

exit 0
Instead of doing all that why not just create some aliases to char-major 61 for the two devices

Ie - lirc0 and lirc1 in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases

and then

add your listen and connect lines to your /etc/rc.local

You do not have to modify your /etc/init.d/lirc script AT ALL this way.

just make sure your have your devices set right in the hardware.conf file IE for mine I have

for remote

modules = "lirc_dev lirc_imon"
device = /dev/lirc0

For transmitter I have

modules ="lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2
device = /dev/lirc1

This will automatically start a lircd and lircd1 instance and adding the alias and rc.local stuff I mention above will force them to use the dev numbers on every reboot. then just setup your lircd.conf file for whatever remote you are using as your MCE remote (handheld) and you should be good to go with the imon ir rcvr in the case.

You are always BEST to get one device working completely and 100% first with lirc before attempting to setup a 2nd one. It will save you a pile of work later.

The waf factor is loving the setup in the bedroom now as she only has to press power on the remote and it powers up the TV, Computer, STB and starts mythtv and then she can watch livetv from the main menu or select XBMC from the main menu and then just hit the power button OR the Suspend System from the myth main menu and everything just reverses and all goes to sleep INCLUDING the annoying blue light on the LCD.

Dave
I am *REALLY* close to getting this working.. I have the ffdc model and I followed the steps here and when I run 'irw' I am able to see data when I press buttons on the remote.

But when XBMC loads, pressing buttons on the remote does nothing Sad I created a file called 'lircmap.xml' using the info from the first post of this thread.

Any ideas?

------

Ok, I figured it out. I think the lircmap.xml from the first post isn't formatted corrected. I removed it completely. The lircmap.xml in the system folder (which is loaded by default) contains the instructions for my device 'mceusb'. When XBMC came up, the remote worked just fine.

I'm freakin' ecstatic that my Harmony remote works with my Antec Fusion 430 case to Power On and Power Off. I've still got a little more work to do (getting the LCD to work) but I'm confident that'll work out (and I'll probably decide to turn it off anyways lol). Even if that doesn't work, I finally got my Xbox replacement up and running!
There is already a file called Lircmap.xml in /usr/share/xbmc/system that you should not even have to modify if using the MCE remote. You need a capital L in the name of the file. Lets see the Lircmap you created and where did you place the file.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes, that's exactly what I figured out lol.. I had mistakenly created a Lircmap.xml file in .xbmc/userdata with only the contents listed in the first post - no wonder it didn't work!

-----

I got my VFD almost working now. I enabled LCDProc in XBMC Settings and I am seeing pertinent data on the VFD. Unfortunately, the pertinent text is regularly (every 5 sec) interrupted with an LCDProc screen that says 'LCD Proc Server Cli: 1 Scr: 1'

Any idea how to get rid of that interruption?

Thanks!
karifsmith Wrote:Hi Dave,

Yes, that's exactly what I figured out lol.. I had mistakenly created a Lircmap.xml file in .xbmc/userdata with only the contents listed in the first post - no wonder it didn't work!

-----

I got my VFD almost working now. I enabled LCDProc in XBMC Settings and I am seeing pertinent data on the VFD. Unfortunately, the pertinent text is regularly (every 5 sec) interrupted with an LCDProc screen that says 'LCD Proc Server Cli: 1 Scr: 1'

Any idea how to get rid of that interruption?

Thanks!

Yep! goto your LCDd..conf file and in the server section of that file uncomment the line ServerScreen=off It is pretty close to where you set the drivers path a couple above that I think.

your LCDd.conf file should be in /usr/local/etc/

Regards,

Dave
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON VFD/IR Receiver (used by many HTPC chassis)0