• 12(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON VFD/IR Receiver (used by many HTPC chassis)
so, for most of the sources you'll have both a deb and a deb-src listing. like so:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty multiverse

just wondering if you had the source listings. deb is binaries, deb-src is source code.

noumenon
Just to chime in, if you are running the latest LIRC CVS (0.8.6-CVS), then the proper way to get your device to recognize MCE codes is by loading the model with ir_protocol=1 as such:

sudo modprobe lirc_imon ir_protocol=1

if you leave off ir_protocol=1 then it assumes ir_protocol=0 which is imon native mode. I got this info from a developer on the LIRC team. Unfortunately, I am still struggling to get mine to work (0036 model). The only model that I know that WILL NOT work with the ir_protocol=1 is the older ffdc models as that is what I started off with and it was concluded it doesn't work.

Hope this helps.
I have the "stock" lines in my sources... but I don't recall either of those... will try this when I get home Smile

Somewhat off topic, but it seems like you guys would know in this thread... is there a way to make a universal remote work as an mce remote? How about if I have a learning remote? I know that mce remote's send different code for each signal sent... so I would assume that wouldn't work, would it? Smile

Thanks for the help!
-Erik
What kind of learning remote? I've got a logitech harmony, which is setup on the computer. If you can't do that, then you'd need to have an mce remote from which to learn... or an IR emitter that will put out those codes. I'll have to refer you to your remote manual.

I've said screw it and gone ahead and bought an hp IR receiver. I'm so damn close to putting away all the remotes and keyboards, and after a week of trying to get this to work, I'm giving up. At least until karmic koala.

noumenon
Ok, I added the source listings to sudo pico /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list...

(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get install lirc-modules-source cvs build-essential dialog libtool automake1.9 autoconf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
cvs is already the newest version.
build-essential is already the newest version.
dialog is already the newest version.
libtool is already the newest version.
automake1.9 is already the newest version.
autoconf is already the newest version.
Suggested packages:
kernel-source
The following NEW packages will be installed:
lirc-modules-source
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/245kB of archives.
After this operation, 1221kB of additional disk space will be used.

Selecting previously deselected package lirc-modules-source.
(Reading database ... 44845 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lirc-modules-source (from .../lirc-modules-source_0.8.4a-0ubuntu5_all.deb) ...
Setting up lirc-modules-source (0.8.4a-0ubuntu5) ...
Adding Module to DKMS build system
Doing initial module build

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.28-11-generic cannot be found at
/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build or /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/source.
Installing initial module

Error! Could not locate lirc_atiusb.ko for module lirc in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (i686) first.
Done.

(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get build-dep lirc lcdproc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_multiverse_source_Sources - open (2 No such file or directory)

What am I doing wrong? Smile
-Erik
I also added the lines to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.com.list

and still a no go...

-Erik
try installing:

linux-headers-2.6.28-11

which, by the way is out of date. The current kernel is 2.6.28-14. might want to try upgrading... see if that just fixes things for you.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

noumenon
I updated the kernel, turns out the nvidia drivers are only good for the -11 kernel, oops Smile Fresh install time...

Is the problem perhaps that i am trying to use xbmc live? If anyone has any ideas, I am open for anything... got almost $800 worth of stuff for a htpc sitting in my study floor, lol... Would like to get it running Smile

-Erik
If you have some familiarity with linux, i'd recommend the XBMCbuntu install. Its a standard minimal ubuntu install.

Even if you're not familiar with linux, the guide walks you through it and you can start to learn your way around.

noumenon
I get to the step:

"Modify the following command to match where you have downloaded the LIRC files."

And I have no idea what to do... I am not a linux hero, I'm just trying to get this silly thing working. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu based off the XBMCbuntu install.... 64bit version.
Anyone?
the code is
Code:
sudo cp .CVS/lirc/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c /usr/src/lirc-0.8.3/drivers/lirc_imon

so he is saying that you need to copy the lirc-imon.c file from

.CVS/lirc/drivers
to
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.3/drivers

So copy from whatever directory you've downloaded things and replace the .CVS/lirc/drivers with whatever directory the lirc_imon.c file is in.

Unless you've changed directories to another location, you've likely downloaded things into /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/

Either way, find that lirc-imon.c file and copy it to the right place.

noumenon
Sorry to be an absolute idiot, but what is .CVS?

I know it means concurrent version system, but what does it mean in the context of that command line.

I'm learning, I promise!
its the directory. there is a folder named .CVS

noumenon
Where? I looked everywhere.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON VFD/IR Receiver (used by many HTPC chassis)0