• 27(current)
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder
pike Wrote:motd2k disabled dvd playback with vdpau, mostly because else you couldn't use DVD menues due to missing overlay gfx (aka. the cursor) so it was rather hard to navigate menues.

when this problem is resolved, I'm sure vdpau will be used for all Mpeg* content again

Thanks for the info.

No wonder the CPU usage is much higher when watching DVB TV (mpeg2 format) streamed from mythtv than watching a 1080p h.264 file.

Is there a way to turn it on? As I don't really watch DVD any way.
I'll keep this short -

The Mac Mini as an HTPC is kinda of weak but obviously great footprint. The new model appears to have the NVidia 9400 video on board and if I am reading the Wiki properly, it appears to be supported for exploiting the GPU.

Would a Mac Mini with specs - 2.26 Processor (2 cores), 4 Gigs Ram, 9400 on board work ? Would Apple's EFI get in the way? It appears that under OSX, the shared vid RAM is 256MB. I don't know if this is due to Apple's EFI or a built in limitation. I gather on PC based systems that the 9400 can exploit up to 512mb.

I am mostly interested in M2TS and VOB streaming from NAS or local drive stored files.

Thanks in advance. I am kind of hoping to jump to Linux but need an "excuse" <G>.

Cheers

- Phrehdd
"It appears that under OSX, the shared vid RAM is 256MB"

That's using a MacMini with 2GB of ram. It's assumed that with 4GB ram, this would increase to 512MB. But I've not seen any reports to verify this yet. I do have a friend that will be putting 4GB in his new MacMini so when he does this, I've be able to verify first hand what happends.
davilla Wrote:"It appears that under OSX, the shared vid RAM is 256MB"

That's using a MacMini with 2GB of ram. It's assumed that with 4GB ram, this would increase to 512MB. But I've not seen any reports to verify this yet. I do have a friend that will be putting 4GB in his new MacMini so when he does this, I've be able to verify first hand what happends.

Davilla, thanks very much for the response. Is 256mb sufficient to exploit the GPU or is 512 a minimum?

- Phrehdd
we believe VDPAU requires 512MB to decode most 1080p h264 videos
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

s7mx1 Wrote:Thanks for the info.

No wonder the CPU usage is much higher when watching DVB TV (mpeg2 format) streamed from mythtv than watching a 1080p h.264 file.

Is there a way to turn it on? As I don't really watch DVD any way.

The MPEG1/2 vdpau acceleration switch may located at line 133 of the file

xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDFactoryCodec.cpp
Code:
if (hint.height >= 720) {
        CLog::Log(LOGNOTICE,"Trying VDPAU-MPEG from FFMPEG");
        if( (pCodec = OpenCodec(new CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg(), hint, dvdOptions)) ) return pCodec;

I changed 720 to 576. Now I am recompiling. Hopefully I will have hardware accelerated playback for the dvb tv programme and other post processing features (deinterlace, noise reduction etc.)
It all depends on the content. For most people, 95% of the time 256MB will suffice.

First person to donate me a MacMini to test on wins me testing it... Tongue
s7mx1 Wrote:I changed 720 to 576. Now I am recompiling. Hopefully I will have hardware accelerated playback for the dvb tv programme and other post processing features (deinterlace, noise reduction etc.)

You will, I dont want to hear about subtitles not working though! You'll just need to learn all those pesky languages instead!
davilla Wrote:It's assumed that with 4GB ram, this would increase to 512MB. But I've not seen any reports to verify this yet. I do have a friend that will be putting 4GB in his new MacMini so when he does this, I've be able to verify first hand what happends.

Sorry, I can confirm that with 4GB of RAM on the new Mac Mini (early 2009 model), only 256MB of VRAM is available in Mac OS X 10.5.6 with all software updates applied as of 2009-03-11. Sad
Far more interesting would be what's available to Linux. Is that the same?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

yea, boot linux on that sucker, even the XBMC Live from CD and pick the nivdia driver.
motd2k Wrote:You will, I dont want to hear about subtitles not working though! You'll just need to learn all those pesky languages instead!

Thanks.

In the end I changed it to 0. I haven't tested the subtitles yet (DVB has embedded subtitles, which is bit different than DVD's). Will give it a try tonight.
jmarshall Wrote:Far more interesting would be what's available to Linux. Is that the same?

No, your hunches were right: according to Xorg.0.log, there's 512MB of VRAM on the same Mac Mini early 2009 model with 4GB, using the current release of the XBMC Live CD.

Hmm, now I wonder if there's a hidden plist setting for the VRAM allocation in Mac OS X. Smile
milkyjoe Wrote:No, your hunches were right: according to Xorg.0.log, there's 512MB of VRAM on the same Mac Mini early 2009 model with 4GB, using the current release of the XBMC Live CD.

Hmm, now I wonder if there's a hidden plist setting for the VRAM allocation in Mac OS X. Smile

Can you pastebin your Xorg.0.log. I'd like to take a look. Also which distro did you install. From a report on kernel.org mailing list (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/li...el/1045328) , it looked like installation should have been pretty easy.
As one of the few interested in the Mac Mini 4gig RAM combo, if I am reading the posts correctly -

XMBC/Live should be able to run on the Mac Mini
XMBC normally requires 512mb RAM for the 9400M to normally offload to the GPU
XMBC might offload to the GPU though the Mac Mini only provides 256mb for vid.

Linux might see all 512mb that should be available on the Mac Mini "as is."
Linux may be stymied by Apple's EFI and only get 256mb allocated to video.
Small possibility that OSX plist is hard set for up to 256mb but may be editable.

Am I missing anything here? Is it possible to tamper with Apple's EFI?

Thanks

- Phrehdd
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder3