• 7(current)
XBMC Live on ASUS P5N7A-VM complete guide
Dagnabbit!

Official guide, here I come!
Smile
plz can some one help me step by step me how to make work spdif optical connected to DD reciever from P5N7A-VM im not linux user thnx
lout Wrote:plz can some one help me step by step me how to make work spdif optical connected to DD reciever from P5N7A-VM im not linux user thnx

Did you ever figure this out? Because I am searching and I can't figure out how to do this with XBMC Live installed. As as I can tell I cannot edit system files as XBMC user and no way to log into root.
So I googled the sudo command and found out it allows me to execute as root.

The current alsa upgrade script is throwing a command not found, so I am tossing Live and going for an XBMCbuntu install. I know enough unix commands to be trouble...so I might as well go for the full thing.
Great...succeeded in getting sound through optical, but lost picture through HDMI.

Frustrating. I think I am going to piss off my wife in I start a new install.
Well finally figured it out and thought I would post for anyone searching about this motherboard.

With the current XBMC Live install this thread is still good for one thing, the SPDIF line in the Alsa Conf file. You DO NOT need to upgrade Alsa and the current version of the Alsa upgrade script does not work with this build of Live. I found out my problem with losing HDMI video when I enabled it had to do with how the TV detection works and maybe the suspend or shutdown mode of the motherboard. After a fresh install of Live, through ssh and putty I only added the line to the conf file and rebooted manually and HDMI video was still working fine. Sound through optical was now also enabled.

Now I have to figure out what to do about the suspend/shutdown/hibernate functionality, the MCE Remote power toggle puts the board in Hibernate and locks the USB so there is no waking. It takes several manual restarts to get it to wake up. I will need to read back through this thread and other threads to determine how to handle the situation.
The only way i have found to get suspend working on that motherboard is installing a full ubuntu jaunty desktop and installing xbmc-live on top.
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
When you install xbmc-live it removes gdm anyway so it feels just like the live install. I tried for ages to get suspend working on the live install and xbmcbuntu, this is the only solution i found. There is a script in the forum that will make things easier.

cheers.
It's quite possible with the minimal install, you certainly have to install all the necessary packages.

However no clue about Live... Cool
olympia Wrote:It's quite possible with the minimal install, you certainly have to install all the necessary packages.

However no clue about Live... Cool

I dont suppose you know what packages are needed? I went through all the packages that come with ubuntu-desktop and still could't get it to work on a jaunty minimal.

cheers
What is the downside to a Full Umbutu install? I have had issues getting a clean install of minimal, that is why I went back to Live.
harryzimm Wrote:I dont suppose you know what packages are needed? I went through all the packages that come with ubuntu-desktop and still could't get it to work on a jaunty minimal.

cheers

lol, I know you remember my good-old unsupported guide, so you should suppose I know.

I know this board with Jaunty minimal and suspend/ resume works like a charm.

TaeOH Wrote:What is the downside to a Full Umbutu install? I have had issues getting a clean install of minimal, that is why I went back to Live.

The main downside is, that minimal installs are not recommended by Team XBMC, but there has to be some more material downside as well. Check this thread and comments from Elupus as an example:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=58236
olympia Wrote:The main downside is, that minimal installs are not recommended by Team XBMC, but there has to be some more material downside as well. Check this thread and comments from Elupus as an example:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=58236

I worded my question wrong...I meant to say...

What are the downsides OF a FULL blown Ubuntu install as opposed to doing a minimal install? It seemed like the way to install XBMC on linux was to do it on a minimal install. But if getting things to work right is harder on a minimal install, at this stage of my linux learning process it might be safer to go full blown.

I mean I suppose the some diskspace could be taken up (not really an issue with me). Slower boot time I guess, but if I get suspend to work right, that won't be an issue. Maybe some memory taken up by services I don't need? Couldn't those be killed though?
Full blown or minimal is really a case of preferences in the end.

If you have a dedicated box which only runs as XBMC mediacenter you will have
a faster booting and more slim install.

However if you are gonna use that computer for alotta different stuff maybe a fullblown install is better...

I started myself with the XBMClive distro wich is ready to run out of the box.
And you can install it to HD as a fullblown ubuntu with EXT3 filesystem.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Just an update to the trials and tribulations of this board and a linux newby...

So I installed Umbutu Desktop and the XBMC live over top and this did get the power management working. Only problem was that the network is lost on resume and required a reboot to re-enable it which kind of defeats the purpose of suspend. I found a post that basically said that it was a driver issue, but the users solution was just to disable onboard LAN and put in his own nic.

I also had issues getting SPDIF working doing the install this way, the line added to Alsa Conf did not work this time and it looked like alsamixer was not identifying my chipset correctly...not really sure though. Just could not get any sound through optical.

I only installed Live instead of XBMC as a standalone app because Firefox was locking the system when run from the desktop and I just really did not want to work on figuring that one out. So I was going to dump the desktop version anyway and installed Live over top to see what would happen and found it interesting that almost everything seemed to work except sound.

Right now I am in the middle of a minimal install to see I figure out the packages I need to add to it instead of keeping the broken desktop version. I also think I need to do something about heat, even through I replaced the onboard chipset heatsink, the location of the case is not ideal and I need to get more airflow going through it.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live on ASUS P5N7A-VM complete guide2