• 17(current)
No multithreaded Video decoding on XBMC INTREPID version (in-depth testing)
Can anyone help me to patch this problem in the live edition ? I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to Linux and could do with a simple tutorial or something along those lines ??

Cheers !!
3guk Wrote:Can anyone help me to patch this problem in the live edition ? I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to Linux and could do with a simple tutorial or something along those lines ??

Cheers !!

Hello !

I help you if you need, but in the live version it is based on Hardy and there the multithreading problem does not come out. Anyway there is a rellay great guide from Olympia on this link for minimal Hardy or Intrepid based xbmc,

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Inst...ep-by-step
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The latest live edition uses intrepid I believe, I'm tempted to follow that guide but doubt I will have time until the weekend, just wanted to fix the broken version that I have at the moment.

Have look in the live forum you will see the newest version posted at the top, like I say I'm 99% sure it runs intrepid as its base.
3guk Wrote:The latest live edition uses intrepid I believe, I'm tempted to follow that guide but doubt I will have time until the weekend, just wanted to fix the broken version that I have at the moment.

Have look in the live forum you will see the newest version posted at the top, like I say I'm 99% sure it runs intrepid as its base.

No i am pretty sure XBMC Live 8.10 uses Hardy kernel. If you have an Nvidia video card you could try the hardware accelerated decoding branch of xbmc. Works pretty good.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
It's definitely intrepid.

l.capriotti Wrote:Time has come for a new XBMC Live release: XBMC Live 8.10.2b1

Before going on, check the Wiki FAQ on XBMC Live.

This BETA release has to be considered as a total fresh start, since not only it is based on Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10.2), but also because I used a fresh, updated installation of the build tool.
It also marks the start to a new approach: I have created some pages in the XBMC Wiki where both the build process and the configuration process are briefly described, and I am looking forward to users' contributions in these pages so that both the quality and the completeness of the documents could increase. Not to mention omissisions and mistakes that this new beta release will carry in.

I need to stress the fact that this release was not tested in all details, and issues may arise here and there. However, identifying issues is the main cause I'm releasing it in the public: with help of all of you we may end up with something that barely works (sarcasm here...).

I need to anticipate that NVIDIA and ATI/AMD users may have to struggle to have a working setup, as in the previous releases, but that's a limitation of the restricted drivers not being tolerant interms of configuration files. Les't s hope that the newer releases will allow an higher number of success stories.

Details about the release:

* NVIDIA drivers: 180.29
* ATI/AMD drivers: Catalyst 9.1
* Intel drivers: default xorg
* Natively supports MCEUSB remotes
* New installer script that allows building of XBMCLive USB bootable disks from any Ubuntu-based system without the need of burning a CD and booting from it.

Finally, the SVN repositories sources are already configured, so updating XBMC to follow the bleeding edge will hopefully be easy - check your disk space!

Wiki references:

Building the ISO image -
Configuring XBMC Live -
Building restricted drivers for XBMC Live

A quick TOC of what has been already asked:

Login to underlining OS: here
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?: here
Is Microsoft's MCE Remote the only remote that works in XBMC Live?: here
Live (HDD install) - Resume from Standby: here
AutoBoot settings for XBMC Live USB?: here - note that this release uses GRUB so info here are not 100% accurate
Backup XBMC Live USB in windows: here
FTP access to Live: here
XBMC live volume output too low: here
Better next live version be based on 180.35 nvidia drivers, 180.29 produce poor results with some wmv files
I got an AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4850E 2.5 GHZ and a GIGABYTE MA78GM-S2H running Ubuntu 8.10.

The XBMC version is the Build from 1st mars-09, so ist a new version.

I cant watch 1080p-movies. Not the killer-sample, but also not a normal 1080p movie. There's to many droppes.

I've also noticed that my 2 cpu's are for the most time not equal in %, just like you talk about in this thread.

Is there something I should install in Ubuntu to make my CPU's work better or something.

Thanks.

/Söder
If you do as I did and downgrade to 8.04 I'm sure you won't have any problems. You will probably be able to play the killa sample as well.
cejstrup Wrote:If you do as I did and downgrade to 8.04 I'm sure you won't have any problems. You will probably be able to play the killa sample as well.

I dont know how to downgrade, and it doesnt feel like a good thing to do. At the moment I have no need for 1080p, I just wanted to know...

Though the problem with uneven cpu % is not good...

/Söder
I tried downgrading alsalibs (libasound) to 1.14, the problem persists. Here's a deep list of dependencies for XBMC from hardy to intrepid. It's a little old but should still be valid. If someone get's bored and wants to down grade them one at a time and report back that'd be great Wink

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p...1yZ4F6q6Rw
soder Wrote:I dont know how to downgrade, and it doesnt feel like a good thing to do. At the moment I have no need for 1080p, I just wanted to know...

Though the problem with uneven cpu % is not good...

/Söder

You have to wipe the drive and re-install.

Why is it not a good thing to do if it works ? Hardy is still supported. No need to get the latest and greatest if it doesn't work.
The old saying don't fix what ain't broken applies here Smile
I'm fairly new to linux, but when I run the patch commands I seem to get lots of HUNK failed messages, I get quite a few HUNK succeeded.

I am using the latest SVN, downloaded just a few minutes ago.

Pastebin : http://pastebin.com/m65f2a07b

Anyone any ideas, don't want to waste time making if there is something wrong ?

Cheers
3guk Wrote:I'm fairly new to linux, but when I run the patch commands I seem to get lots of HUNK failed messages, I get quite a few HUNK succeeded.

I am using the latest SVN, downloaded just a few minutes ago.

Pastebin : http://pastebin.com/m65f2a07b

Anyone any ideas, don't want to waste time making if there is something wrong ?

Cheers

Maybe the patch needs to be updated to the current svns. I think you should not use it until then.
Ah ok, I understand, is it hard to update it to the latest version ? Or would I be able to get hold of the SVN with which it works ?

Currently trialing the VDPAU version and having a few problems getting it to play non 1080p files, I'd much rather be able to play the majority of my content rather than the minority as it is at the moment.

I guess I could downgrade to hardy, but it's an awful amount of effort considering all of the tweaks I have running on this machine.
3guk Wrote:Ah ok, I understand, is it hard to update it to the latest version ? Or would I be able to get hold of the SVN with which it works ?

Currently trialing the VDPAU version and having a few problems getting it to play non 1080p files, I'd much rather be able to play the majority of my content rather than the minority as it is at the moment.

I guess I could downgrade to hardy, but it's an awful amount of effort considering all of the tweaks I have running on this machine.

The VDPAU branch is much more stable already than the ffmpeg-mt patch. With the ffmpeg-mt patch you cant even skip or fastforward on non h264 videos.

Try VDPAU-branch once more with a clean compile. I don't have any problems playing non-h264 content with it.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No multithreaded Video decoding on XBMC INTREPID version (in-depth testing)1