• 18(current)
No multithreaded Video decoding on XBMC INTREPID version (in-depth testing)
alanwww1 Wrote:The VDPAU branch is much more stable already than the ffmpeg-mt patch. With the ffmpeg-mt patch you cant even skip or fastforward on non h264 videos.

Try VDPAU-branch once more with a clean compile. I don't have any problems playing non-h264 content with it.

You're making some pretty heavy assumptions that he has hardware to run VDPAU...

Regardless, VDPAU and ffmpeg-mt are pretty far off-topic for this thread.
i use jetway j9f2, and T7200 processor and ubuntu 8.10 , so i need to use GM 945 intel video chipset integer on mother board
for me VDPAU is not usable , i have tested ffmpeg-mt patch , 1080P video works almost fine , but not all good,some drop frame but very better than without patch (both core are better balanced ), and rew or forw do a crash , Unfortunally patch is old and not work with new svn version ,
i have tested mplayer with ffmpeg-mt like description on http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html , like this mplayer can read all 1080p , and even m2ts from blue ray dump .
video is fluide , and processor never saturated .
so there is way to use external ffmpeg-mt on xbmc without patch ?, or eventually use for some file mplayer like an external player ?

thank's
Will upgrading to jaunty fix this issue? Some of your must be using it already.
NO. It does not fix it.

Same problem there.

It would be really great if someone could fix it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I thought you were going to do some "in depth" testing for us?
althekiller Wrote:I thought you were going to do some "in depth" testing for us?

Sorry, i did my best, as you can read through the posts checking all possible distros, libs, drivers etc, but there were some libs which i could not change without segmentation faults.

As i wrote in previous posts, i suspect it is libc6 which changed in some way.
From this point i don't have any enough knowledge to go further.

If you have any other idea what we could try to test out (which we have not yet tried) it would be great and i gladly do my best to make it.

Thanks for paying attention to this problem.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I am not yet ready with every test which I want to make concerning this, but what I have found up until now:

1. When I upgrade Hardy kernel to Intrepid kernel, then the nvidia driver has to be recompiled. To be able to recompile the driver, the kernel headers for the new kernel and gcc 4.3 has to be downloaded. The kernel headers and gcc 4.3 both automatically download a few more dependencies (Unfortunately I didn't had time yet to identify them, but libc6 was surely among them). After all was done, XBMC has began to suffer from the unbalanced core bug.

2. When I downgrade Intrepid kernel to Hardy kernel, again the new(old) kernel headers and gcc 4.2 has to downloaded for to recompile nvidia driver. In this case much less dependencies were downloaded by kernel headers and gcc 4.2.
And, not surprisingly this hasn't fixed the performace bug.

Based on these, if we think logically the root cause of the bug must be in one of those dependencies which are downloaded automatically by kernel headers and/ or gcc 4.3 during Hardy upgrade.

Unfortunately I don't have time to look after those packages further until the next week.
OK I have been following this kinda closely since I bought the parts for a new HTPC last week. A couple of questions:

1) Current Jaunty beta doesn't fix this problem?
2) Does this affect only what's in the PPA or also XBMC compiled from SVN?
3) Is this something I need to be terribly concerned about if I use VDPAU?
ERamseth Wrote:OK I have been following this kinda closely since I bought the parts for a new HTPC last week. A couple of questions:

1) Current Jaunty beta doesn't fix this problem?
2) Does this affect only what's in the PPA or also XBMC compiled from SVN?
3) Is this something I need to be terribly concerned about if I use VDPAU?

Hi !

1. Jaunty does not fix it.
2. It is for ALL versions.
3. VDPAU is prety good and stable now, and supported in the main-trunk.
has some conflicts with auto refresh rate function, but there is a fix for that as well.
Is that autorefresh fix in the main-trunk or the vdpau branch?
If you're talking about strictbinding setting in advancedsettings, that fix isn't perfect, atleast not for me.
toiva Wrote:If you're talking about strictbinding setting in advancedsettings, that fix isn't perfect, atleast not for me.

Yes, but you need the 185 series Nvidia driver for that.

For me it is pretty stable, except i see some stuttering i don't see with SW decodeing.
bump
DGMurdockIII Wrote:bump

Thanks for the helpful informative input...

The google spreadsheet I posted a few pages back has been updated with REAL in-depth testing. No results came of it of course, I'm going back to the kernel.
FYI, at this moment I'm running hardy with linux kernel 2.6.29. This kernel is build using make-kpkg and the default .config from the original 2.6.24-23. I've no problems with off-balanced cpu usage playing HD (1080p) material. Using xbmc svn r19517 and mediastream r1470.

Also saw this http://xbmc.org/changeset/19466
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No multithreaded Video decoding on XBMC INTREPID version (in-depth testing)1