• 26(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
spicemuseum Wrote:Yep.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i get-iplayer-current.deb

I did this, but i am unable to find iplayer in the videos menu or in plugins. What am I doing wrong?
dabberdave Wrote:Thanks Sle7enUK.

However I'm still having problems.

I've FTPed exobuzz's files to my xbox. I now have a folder called "xbmc-r28565-iplayerhack" in my Apps folder alongside my original XBMC folder. If I use file manager I can navigate to "default.py" within this new "hacked" version of XBMC, and by selecting this the new version of XBMC starts.

I have also copied the iPlayer plugin into the new plugins/video folder within "xbmc-r28565-iplayerhack". However when I try to run it nothing happens.

Please could you talk me through this step by step for an idiot! Huh

This is the way I do every update:

After I've uploaded the new version (folder not named XBMC) to my Xbox, I rename the old 'XBMC' folder to 'XBMC (Old)' then rename the new version 'XBMC'.

Move a copy of my old 'guisettings.xml' and the 'sources.xml' from 'UserData' folder to the new one and delete all files from the 'TDATA' and 'UDATA' folders in the 'E' folder.

Move fresh downloads of plugins to their respective folders for 'video', 'programs' etc.... (Example: iPlayer would be a fresh download and put into 'video' in the 'plugins' folder), then move a copy of the old 'plugin_data' (In 'UserData') folder to the new upload.

It works for me every time, and if the new install is no good, then I just rename my old install back to 'XBMC and because everything is there it works as before. (I always delete the files from 'TDATA' and 'UDATA' folders every time I change the version)
is it possible to get this working on Windows XBMC or only Linux?
BigH Wrote:is it possible to get this working on Windows XBMC or only Linux?
Yes, you'll need a copy of get_iplayer for windoze. I haven't got that, sorry.
afcpaddy Wrote:I did this, but i am unable to find iplayer in the videos menu or in plugins. What am I doing wrong?
Okay, the problem you are reporting is unrelated to the workaround being discussed here. It seems you're having problems installing the plugin, you need to look for instruction for that elsewhere. (Briefly it involves unzipping the plug-in files into the ../plugin/video directory.) When you've done that you need to follow the instructions for editing the streaming URL in the default python script, see post #333 in this thread.
afcpaddy Wrote:I did this, but i am unable to find iplayer in the videos menu or in plugins. What am I doing wrong?

if you see this post it shows how to get it working in ubuntu with xbmc.

get_iplayer is NOT the plugin... the plugin is here get_iplayer is a workaround because iplayer started doing some funky authentication on its swf streams...

i suggest you read both links thoroughly and then post back with any problems... including exactly how you got them Smile

@ spicemuseum: lol! didn't read all your post... which basically says the same Smile
Question 
ok, not sure if this is quite the right place... but we'll see how i get on Smile

been using the iplayer plugin for a few days now on ubuntu 9.10 server, and the problem i have is that if i exit one program - either half way through or if i just let it finish by itself - and then try and play another program it crashes xbmc Sad This only happens if i do this in fairly fast succession... if i leave it a while then they seem to play fine? or maybe its just bad/outdated streams from the program rss feeds?

attached are two crashlogs for inspection Smile

Oh! i can't attach files... well here are 2 links instead Smile

linky

linky

will try and reproduce the problem again to get another log Smile

any ideas?
Ive also managed to get IPlayer working with the work around with a live cd install.
But.... also have the same problem as gobbledigook. Every time I shut down and restart I have to re run this get_iplayer.cgi --port=1935 --getiplayer=/usr/bin/get_iplayer command from a ssh window on my other pc.

Its a good work around for the time being but not very missus friendly.

Ive tried writing a script and making it executable and starting at startup, this doesnt work for some reason, even though if I try to then run it from a ssh window again , it says its all ready running. But the IPlayer streams do not work at all.
Is the any way of running this command from within xbmc ?
Where can I download the get_iplayer windows installer?
hallergard Wrote:Where can I download the get_iplayer windows installer?

Hi!

I don't run xbmc on a windows box... so not sure i can help you wholly, but i'm sure i can put you in the right direction Smile

google about for the get_iplayer.exe - linux centre doesn't host it anymore Sad you will also need rtmpdump and i think you would also need to run apache and perl in order to run the get_iplayer.cgi script? try this tutorial

I'll try it out myself on my windows box tonight to see if it works and post back here my success/partial success/total failure Wink
Hi!
I stumbled on the first hurdle, as I keep being eventually referred to the Linuxcenter, which has dropped get_iplayer. Anyone having a download link that is still working? Thanks in advance.
Sorry but after an extensive search i cannot find a windows installer for this... tried newsgroups and torrent searches! maybe someone on the forum will have one and link it?
At what point do we say FY BBC and get this thing running again. Reading about this canvas it seems the BEEB have a financial reason for not wanting anyone else using the iplayer service.

F them and the horses they rode in on.
garyi Wrote:At what point do we say FY BBC and get this thing running again.

i'll ignore the insinuated foul language...

if you see page 32-34 of this thread you will see that the workaround for linux, xbmc live-cd and xbox does work... read, check out exobuzz's posts for xbox stuff !
gobbledigook Wrote:i'll ignore the insinuated foul language...

if you see page 32-34 of this thread you will see that the workaround for linux, xbmc live-cd and xbox does work... read, check out exobuzz's posts for xbox stuff !
Indeed you have a choice of workarounds for XB0X. I've tried both, they both work. I prefer to use the get_iplayer server option for my particular set-up, others will no doubt will prefer the Buzz solution.

I don't want to get into the politics of why and how with Auntie beeb, but ISTM that they simply needed to be seen to be doing something to protect their copyright holders' material, without overstepping their remit and moving to encrypted streams (which in themselves could still be worked-around). So, now they've done that we've probably seen the end of it for now.

And to be clear, I in no way condone Auntie getting into bed with Adobe (in attempting to lock the streams to Flash), quite the opposite, I think it's disgraceful. There, I said it.

...and whilst I'm on a role, I wonder if there's a reason no-one seems to be too bothered about the workaround for windoze around here. ...yes, me neither.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13