• 38(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
exobuzz Wrote:I guess I should post my findings/research to the current get_iplayer authors
http://www.smallsoftware.co.uk/site/down...t_iplayer/

HTH.
spicemuseum Wrote:One question, in respect of the player hash calculation, are you still hard coding it, or have you done some magic for XB0X mirroring the libRTMP changes in the Linux environment (viz http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8971) ?

I am.

I haven't given much attempt at the new libRTMP. it is going to be some work. firstly its C not C++, and builds against gnutls or openssl, neither of which I have built for the xbox. My code currently runs from some old old librtmp plus some patches and has the hash hardcoded. to build the new libRTMP i think would be some work, either modifying to work with crypo++ (which is cpp so already some issues), or by builidng gnutls (which needs libgcrypto or so), or openssl, which I already gave up on previously.

Having said that, it seems they dont ban/withdraw old keys actively, so it might just be easier to bring in "some" of the new libRTMP functionality such as rtmpt etc to the xbox, and perhaps port over small bits like the hash calculation.. worst case the hash could be sent by the plugin via a file on the xbox, which the user needs to keep up to date. its not ideal, but it is workable..

Of course, if arnova the last left xbox dev it seems, can bring over the new libRTMP, then that would be fantastic. I've only had a little experience with all of this. It's not a lot of hassle right now to make these builds I do, so it seems a reasonable compromise in the meantime.
spicemuseum Wrote:http://www.smallsoftware.co.uk/site/down...t_iplayer/

HTH.

Thanks

I have seen that one - but the new repository is inactive i think. I also saw http://github.com/jjl/get_iplayer. it seems they are working on a reimplementation. perhaps I should contact both, or maybe they already found this thread..
The fact that it's C and not C++ is a point in its favor, trust me - it uses less memory than the C++ version so it runs better on smaller machines.

You cannot do the hash calculation without a SHA256 hash implementation. You might be able to find that on its own. You can't do RTMPE link encryption without RC4. You might also be able to find that on its own; ffmpeg's libavutil has this already. But you can't do the RTMPE handshake without Diffie-Hellman key exchange, and I haven't seen a standalone implementation of that anywhere. (DH key exchange requires multi-precision math support, e.g. for operating on 1024 bit numbers. Most crypto libraries implement this, not sure what other math packages might exist for it that you could use.) The rest of the SSL/TLS support is only needed if you want to be able to handle RTMPS sessions and HTTPS (when retrieving an SWF file to calculate its hash). I doubt anyone would use HTTPS to provide the SWF; that kind of defeats the purpose of using RTMP(E) in the first place (i.e., RTMPE is supposed to be lighter weight than SSL/TLS).
http://www.polarssl.org/ looks like a nice compact crypto library that might be easier to build on Xbox. If you want to check it out, I can look into what it would take to use it in librtmp.
highlandsun Wrote:The fact that it's C and not C++ is a point in its favor, trust me - it uses less memory than the C++ version so it runs better on smaller machines.

I was not questioning this at all. just illustrating that work would be needed to get this running on the xbox - as I already am using a CPP crypto library Smile I've already also done a sha256 on the xbox, using cryptopp, which my xbmc build uses already, but this is C++ not C. It was an easy choice at the time, as it came with a visual studio project, and had one config option, to disable any os dependencies.
highlandsun Wrote:http://www.polarssl.org/ looks like a nice compact crypto library that might be easier to build on Xbox. If you want to check it out, I can look into what it would take to use it in librtmp.

Interesting. I will take a look - thanks.
I've just committed polarssl support to SVN. Give it a shot.

Note, because librtmp also uses SSL, it winds up linking in pretty much all of the crypto code. If you don't care about rtmps and https, the footprint will get a lot smaller.
great. thanks very much. I will give it a go.
I have already had a bit of a hack around with exobuzz's IPlayer plugin to re-add support for multiple resoultions according to the preferences. I don't understand which priority should be allocated between akamai and limelite but I have something that appears to work (for 'h264 800' & 'h264 1500' at least).

I'll post a patch to iplayer2.py when I get home this evening.
Hi all
This plugin is great, and working on my xbox - sort of.
I am outside the UK. I access iplayer through a paid proxy server which I use on my PC and lets me watch iplayer video content.
I put these proxy details into the network settings section of XBMC, and can listen to radio shows in the iplayer plugin, but TV shows don't work. I get the error saying I should try "playing iplayer in a web browser"
Radio working, but TV not working is consistent with being outside the UK I believe.

My question is, does the iplayer plugin adhere to the proxy settings in the main XBMC config?

(please don't argue about whether or not it's appropriate to use iplayer outside the UK, I am a UK expat and pay my license fee too!)

Thanks to all that have contributed to keep this plugin working of late Smile
gregherbet123 Wrote:Hi all
This plugin is great, and working on my xbox - sort of.
I am outside the UK. I access iplayer through a paid proxy server which I use on my PC and lets me watch iplayer video content.
I put these proxy details into the network settings section of XBMC, and can listen to radio shows in the iplayer plugin, but TV shows don't work. I get the error saying I should try "playing iplayer in a web browser"
Radio working, but TV not working is consistent with being outside the UK I believe.

My question is, does the iplayer plugin adhere to the proxy settings in the main XBMC config?

(please don't argue about whether or not it's appropriate to use iplayer outside the UK, I am a UK expat and pay my license fee too!)

Thanks to all that have contributed to keep this plugin working of late Smile

If the python http stuff respects the proxy settings it should be ok. Basically, you only need the proxy to get the auth key from the bbc. The actual data streams from akamai/limelight do not need to be proxies for example.
jackanddougal Wrote:I have already had a bit of a hack around with exobuzz's IPlayer plugin to re-add support for multiple resoultions according to the preferences. I don't understand which priority should be allocated between akamai and limelite but I have something that appears to work (for 'h264 800' & 'h264 1500' at least).

I'll post a patch to iplayer2.py when I get home this evening.

If you have done something like modifying the URL bit depending on the chosen quality you can get the other qualities too with a different path.

iplayer_streaming_h264_flv_high is 1500 (which I guess you already worked out)
iplayer_streaming_h264_flv_hd I think is 3200kbit. and so on.

note that it seems only the akamai streams dont work from the previous mediaselector xml that returns all stream data. the others are fine.

I'm currently working on the xbox build of xbmc. I have built in polarssl, and managed to get the new libRTMP built. I need to do some debugging though, as currently it breaks with a memory read from 0x0 which isn't quite what I want ;-)

When/If I get this to work, it will bring all the new features of libRTMP to the xbox, including automatic swf hash generation, and support for limelight rtmpt streams and so on (as well as lots of other improvements im sure)
sounds great.. hopefully arnova will merge this with his main trunk/branch/twig/whatever so we'll have support for any adobe "protected" content from any site for ever more Wink
Smiff Wrote:sounds great.. hopefully arnova will merge this with his main trunk/branch/twig/whatever so we'll have support for any adobe "protected" content from any site for ever more Wink

I might need to ask his help to debug this too.. Smile
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13