projectM black screen
Hi,

my projectM-viualization does not work, maybe someone has a tip?

My system:
Ubuntu 8.04 (mini), Kernel 2.6.24-24-generic
compiled and installed xbmc from SVN, rev. 20437

Alsa properly configured (digital sound output via Toslink to receiver), other visualizations (Gloom, waveform) work fine.
The Debug Log shows, that projectM has been loaded and started correctly.
I can even open the projectM-Settings screen when playing a song and it lists me all available presets. But if I choose one manually, I just get a black screen. Sad

Because it lists me all available presets, I don't think its a path-issue. However, I installed XBMC to /usr/share/xbmc and projectM is located in /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM.

Could it be because I'm not using PulseAudio?
Is it possible to reinstall projectM somehow?
are you playing files on a smb share?
if you are, it's just the same issue i (and others) have... the only workaround i found so far has been to add a line to fstab to mount the share at boot and make nxbmc mount to the locally mounted folder... as far as i can see, projectm works just fine on local files, and on locally mounted files too Smile
Thanks, it really has to do with playing files from SMB. Unbelievable. Smile
I played a file locally and saw the visualisation. But it didn't work the second time. Very strange.
All my stuff is over SMB and projectM works. Odd...
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i know that it works for someone, others answered to my other threads saying it works, but it really seems quite strange to me, as i have 2 different machines, both with 9.04, both with nvidia video cards, both with compiz disabled (but not apt-get purged), both working fine on local files and NOT working after playing remote files
again, i'm under gnome (but the same happens using plain xbmc session), could it be something with the desktop environment?
it could be something with the hardware or something with some missing strange and unexplicited dependency, but i think there must be something wrong out there Smile

btw, all is working fine under windows, for both local and remote files, but it's all a different beast :p
Where's the other thread? Or do you have a debug log showing this?

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
hi, i was answering yesterday but got involved in something, so couldn't do it...
anyway, you could look at this
or this
or this

i saw sometimes ago i solved it by exporting XBMC_HOME so put that in /etc/environment but, again, with no result (when i solved that way i was running xbmc in standalone mode from a folder, building with build.sh, now i'm installing it with make install, and exporting didn't work then too, if using ppa)
you want a debug log?
i got one in which i played a local file (working projectm) and then a remote file (no more visualization)
of course removed all usernames/passwords Smile
here it is: http://www.pastebin.ca/1431872
as far as i can see there is nothing strange, but anyway...

thanks for the help, bye
Try to make sure the option of looking for icons on remote shares is unchecked. See if that makes a difference. It does look to be trying to update album art or something. Not sure if that is causing issues.

yes, i already tried that, and it solved the problem for a while (it was in one of the threads i posted Smile ) but after a while the black screen issue reappeared
will try again and let you know Smile

edit: just tried it... no difference at all

if you want another debug log with the icon search disabled, tell me Smile
I need to be able to reproduce somehow. It has always worked for me and all my music is on smb.

Actually, pastebin your ~/.xbmc/userdata/projectM.conf file.

I have this same problem. ProjectM not working just black screen - but the path in the ProjectM config file is correct and I can see the list of presets in xbmc.

I have all my music on SMB share but tried putting some local to try if it was the SMB messing up but no change. It's really annoying.

If someone has a solution to this I would be most grateful.
Still, post your projectM.conf and xbmc.log. Saying you have the same issue without providing anything additional isn't going to help.

ofz,

here is my ProjectM.conf

http://pastebin.com/m6a6db3f7

and here is my xbmc.log

http://pastebin.com/d63a28a28
That's not a debug log.

Enable debug please.

Also, this looks odd:

#
Window Bottom = 0
#
Window Height = 768
#
Window Left = 3
#
Window Width = 1017

How are you starting XBMC? Are you not in full screen?

Please kill off your projectM.conf and also try to make sure xbmc starts in full screen (not sure that is causing any issues).

Here is how my projectM.conf looks compared to yours:

Window Bottom = 0
Window Height = 1080
Window Left = 0
Window Width = 1920

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
projectM black screen1