[WINDOWS] Best remote control to use with XBMC for Windows?
Question 
I know remotes have been discussed a lot on here, but I wasn't able to find any definitive recent thread on what the leading contenders are for the best PC XBMC remote.

Ideally I'd like to go for RF / wireless so I won't have to worry about line of sight IR issues.

What do you guys recommend? Will probably be running XBMC on Vista 64. Do most of the contenders come with RF receivers for the PC as well?

Thanks so much in advance for your suggestions Smile
definitive thread? thread with ratings?

...you are looking for remotecentral.com
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Question 
I will be building a HTPC and want to use the best remote control. Budget is not an issue.

With XBMC it doesn't really use normal PLAY and stop etc buttons... so the remote has to have mouse capabilities etc... ... again looking to use it for XBMC under Windows XP.

What is the best choice out there?
(I'm in Canada)

Thank-you in advance!
Damned expensive, but works, and works well.
Thank-you for your suggestion. I looked at it and yes it looks good!

Does anyone else have another suggestion... or what would be the second best remote?
Thanks for the response, but I didn't find anything there specifically concerning remotes for XBMC.

Will any universal remote work? Even if that is the case, I figured it would be worth getting the opinions of XBMC users to see which remotes work most flawlessly / are most easily configurable with EventGhost / XBMC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I too am interested in an answer here. Moreso for an IR remote though.
one word:
Harmony Smile
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque Wrote:one word:
Harmony Smile

I have the Harmony 880 but how and what do I need to get it to talk to the xbmc?
I have an original MCE remote and use that receiver to use with my Harmony one

I have setup XBMC to keyboard mode in advanced settings and use Eventghost to simulate keystrokes.

This gives me all the flexiblility I need to create specific keys and custom buttons on my Harmony remote.

I then have a special specific keymap.xml inside XBMC which has all remotes and other controllers removed and only has keyboard mappings.

SO:
1: MS MCE receiver
2: Eventghost
3: advanced settings keyboard mode
4: keymapping.xml with specific keymappings only for keyboard
5: program harmony one with logitech software

goodluck !
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
BradP Wrote:I have the Harmony 880 but how and what do I need to get it to talk to the xbmc?

As with any IR remote, you need an IR reciever to read the IR signals into your computer. USB-UIRT or the MCE reciever are probably the two most common (PLENTY of posts about these)
idioteque Wrote:I have an original MCE remote and use that receiver to use with my Harmony one

I have setup XBMC to keyboard mode in advanced settings and use Eventghost to simulate keystrokes.

This gives me all the flexiblility I need to create specific keys and custom buttons on my Harmony remote.

I then have a special specific keymap.xml inside XBMC which has all remotes and other controllers removed and only has keyboard mappings.

SO:

goodluck !

I see in your signature that you are using XP-SP3. What version of the OS are you using? I've had loads of trouble finding remotes that work in XP Pro. Most want you to use XP-MCE, Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate.
You could try the original xbox DVD kit remote...

Here's my howto thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45337

The remote itself is only $8 or so, and you'll need a USB to Xbox controller adapter for a couple more dollars.

Just set it up with EventGhost, and it should work fine with XP.

-Wes
RKillcrazy Wrote:I see in your signature that you are using XP-SP3. What version of the OS are you using? I've had loads of trouble finding remotes that work in XP Pro. Most want you to use XP-MCE, Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate.

I got the sp3 WITH ALL updates

the MCE driver is available as a driver for all windows versions.

just google on MCE driver
idioteque Wrote:I have an original MCE remote and use that receiver to use with my Harmony one

SO:

goodluck !

I assume you still get that .4 second lag and the delayed buffer with this setup?

I am finally trying to cure my problem (have the Harmony 880 with USB-UIRT) and i'm considering just switching from the harmony series unless someone has found a way to get rid of the lag.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Best remote control to use with XBMC for Windows?0