[XBOX] HOW-TO fix Windows Vista and Windows 7 SMB Shares for XBMC
Smile 
I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I have had this same problem for ages now, and have searched high and low, but have yet to find a solution. Well, today, I was working on it again, as it started up with wanting a username and password again, and well, here was my solution, and so far it's working like a charm.

I have a C: Drive, D: Drive, E: Drive, G: Drive and DVD-Rom being shared to my XBOX. Well, I realized that I did not have a disc in the DVD-Rom (in my PC), so I unshared the Rom, rebooted the XBOX and voila. It works like a charm. I then tested it, by re-sharing the empty DVD-Rom, and it again asked for UN and PW. I then inserted a disc, rebooted XBOX, and voila, she works again!!! So, to solve my headaches, I will just leave the rom unshared!! Laugh

Hope this helps at least one other person!! Nod
Monarch Wrote:I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I have had this same problem for ages now, and have searched high and low, but have yet to find a solution. Well, today, I was working on it again, as it started up with wanting a username and password again, and well, here was my solution, and so far it's working like a charm.

I have a C: Drive, D: Drive, E: Drive, G: Drive and DVD-Rom being shared to my XBOX. Well, I realized that I did not have a disc in the DVD-Rom (in my PC), so I unshared the Rom, rebooted the XBOX and voila. It works like a charm. I then tested it, by re-sharing the empty DVD-Rom, and it again asked for UN and PW. I then inserted a disc, rebooted XBOX, and voila, she works again!!! So, to solve my headaches, I will just leave the rom unshared!! Laugh

Hope this helps at least one other person!! Nod

Going to try this tonight as I think I may have shared my DVD-ROM at some point...if this works I'll be well impressed! Getting asked for UN and PW when trying to access Win7 shares. Tried the 'computer part of home network, not business' trick, but the setting won't save after OK'ing. If I set up shares before hand directly on Ubuntu box that XBMC is running on the XBMC can access ok. To do that though I had to edit the file (can't remember the name!) manually - I couldn't get to the Win7 server through the Ubuntu file manager as even that kept asking for username/pass. Grrrrrr!
aequitasoz Wrote:well after numerous crashes after making this change... i have gone back to normal settings.

still cant seem to get the problem of smb shares stopping after a certain period of time....
and the problem of having to reset the connections everytime. Sad

Had an identicle problem, turned out the drives were powering down due to the power saving options in win7. Try disabling the drives from powering down, worked for me.
any one know how to get Vista to remember the password for the smb share? XP remembers but Vista won't.
I have been having the exact same problem. And like many here, I tried everything listed and none of it worked.

But I DID find a solution without changing ANY settings whatsoever on my machine.

I know for a fact it had been working earlier this morning. The only change I had made was installing the new Windows Live Sign-In Assistant ver6.5 i think it was and linking my live ID to my windows user account (im using win7 ultimate 64bit btw).

After trying everything listed and several reboots, I uninstalled the sign-in assistant and it immediately began to work again.

So guys, give this a try and let me know if it helps anyone else. Leave it to microsoft to make security changes to your system with an unrelated install.

- qtip
qtip Wrote:I have been having the exact same problem. And like many here, I tried everything listed and none of it worked.

But I DID find a solution without changing ANY settings whatsoever on my machine.

I know for a fact it had been working earlier this morning. The only change I had made was installing the new Windows Live Sign-In Assistant ver6.5 i think it was and linking my live ID to my windows user account (im using win7 ultimate 64bit btw).

After trying everything listed and several reboots, I uninstalled the sign-in assistant and it immediately began to work again.

So guys, give this a try and let me know if it helps anyone else. Leave it to microsoft to make security changes to your system with an unrelated install.

- qtip

That finally did it, thanks
heemid17 Wrote:That finally did it, thanks

Sweet! Glad I could help.
qtip Wrote:I have been having the exact same problem. And like many here, I tried everything listed and none of it worked.

- qtip

Qtip that worked great I have been racking my brain for days trying to get this to work. I have one more little glitch... whenever I try to access certain folders it still asks me for a un and password. Any suggestions?

Thanks
johnnof Wrote:Qtip that worked great I have been racking my brain for days trying to get this to work. I have one more little glitch... whenever I try to access certain folders it still asks me for a un and password. Any suggestions?

Thanks

It only prompts you when you access certain folders within a share or certain shares themselves?

If it is just happening on a subdirectory under a share and you can access the files in the share then that would have to be due to your NTFS file permissions.

Set the correct permissions on the parent folder and in the advanced permissions check in the box that says "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and hit apply. Might want to go ahead and set yourself as owner on everything too, just to be safe. That will make sure that everything under your share has the correct permissions.

If it is doing it on entire shares themselves then it could be a number of things. I'd start by checking the NTFS permissions and setting them the way you want, then make sure you have access on your share-level permissions as well (usually its easier to just give your share permissions "Everyone Full" and restrict as needed with the file level perms). Remember, when dealing with share permissions and file permissions the most restrictive permissions between the two will be what you end up with. (So if all you set is "everyone read only" at the share and give yourself full access at the file level, then you end up with read only access).

Let me know if that helps. I'm an out of work MCSE/CCNA so it's oddly relaxing for me as weird as that sounds Smile
I wish I could say that that worked but even before I get to that step I receive a new error. Error-1073741772Confusedhare not available. I have had this once before but I don't remember how I overcame it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You cannot uninstall Live ID Assistant in Messenger 2011 w/o removing the whole shabang. Any new fix?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] HOW-TO fix Windows Vista and Windows 7 SMB Shares for XBMC0