[WINDOWS] 32-bit or 64-bit Vista for XBMC?
K, not sure if this is the right section but it seems close!

I am rebuilding my PC's at home. I have 1 main PC an HTPC and a server. The Server has had Windows Home Server installed and is fine. I have 2 Vista Licenses available. 1x 64bit and 1x 32bit.

Question is will I have any improvement in performance by sticking 64bit on the HTPC or should I leave it on the main one. As far as I can tell the additional RAM is about as much use as I will get from the 64 which at 4Gb already is probably overkill.

Any suggestions or help?

Cheers muchly!
maocul Wrote:K, not sure if this is the right section but it seems close!

No...you did see the windows subforum?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Haggy Wrote:No...you did see the windows subforum?

It really was close... Blush
I doubt you will get much, or any performance increase, and you might have to find 64 bit drivers for it. You will get an extra gb of ram, which xbmc doesn't really need, and some better floating point calculations, which , again, a htpc deoes not make use of. Overall, you would get better performance if you tweak your 32 bit windows. Of course, you could tweak the 64 bit version to the same effect. You should probably turn the swap file off, it seems that not many people do, with the amount of ram available today. Also the lastaccesstime stamp, and maybe 8.3 names, as well. The hard drive is usually the slowest link, anyway.
I was going to suggest doing a search on this topic, as it has certainly been answered before, but searching "vista 64" brings up essentially every windows thread.

Silverxxx is correct. XBMC will receive no additional help from a 64 bit computer OS, or, at least, none worth mentioning.
natethomas Wrote:I was going to suggest doing a search on this topic, as it has certainly been answered before, but searching "vista 64" brings up essentially every windows thread.

Silverxxx is correct. XBMC will receive no additional help from a 64 bit computer OS, or, at least, none worth mentioning.

I'm fairly harsh with people on other forums on the whole searching rigamorale so I always look first. Problem is a search is only as good as the term used and when you're talking O/S' they are too generic to take.

Looks like I'll stick with 64 on the main PC and 32 on the HTPC.

Cheers
What's with this "do away with swap file" thing? Is it effective?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] 32-bit or 64-bit Vista for XBMC?0