Music Genre Icons
If anyone is in need of some good quality music genre icons they can be found here. http://www.flickr.com/groups/itunesgenres/pool/

mcborzu's wonderful skin Night supports these by default if interested. Looks really good to browse your genres with nice artwork.

I put together a zip of the ones I use.
music_genres.zip

If you need one I don't have just ask and I'll try to track it down for you.

Is there also a pack to DL?
Doesn't seem to. You can however search. I was able to find all my genres and rename them in about 10 minutes.
Thank a ton for this. I have always hated my music genre icons and now I put together a great pack for myself. Much needed!
How exactly do you change the music genre icons?

Do you download the picture and then rename it "rock.png" and then put it into the /skins/media/ directory of XBMC?
marcozd Wrote:How exactly do you change the music genre icons?

Do you download the picture and then rename it "rock.png" and then put it into the /skins/media/ directory of XBMC?

it depends on the skin you're using.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
OK.

I am using PMIII for the xbox. Does that help?
marcozd Wrote:OK.

I have not used PM3 in awhile. Can anyone confirm if it has the coding for genre icons. I am not sure if Jezz put it into this skin or not. If so I imagine it would be skin > media. Then name the file exactly as your genre with .jpg as the file type.
marcozd Wrote:OK.

yes, there's no support for genre icons in PMIII

@ekim232: it's also not in PM3.HD. you'll have to code it yourself
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
How would I code it myself?

What do I need to do?
marcozd Wrote:How would I code it myself?

What do I need to do?

start by looking how it's done in other skins ?

here's more or less the code you need to display the genre image:
[HTML]
<control type="image">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>200</width>
<height>200</height>
<texture>$INFO[Listitem.label,,.jpg]</texture>
<visible>Container.Content(Genres) + substring(Container.FolderPath,musicdb://1/)</visible>
</control>[/HTML]
OK. I am not sure how to tell it to use my custom icon name. So, I have an icon file, rock.jpg. Would the following work:

<control type="image">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>200</width>
<height>200</height>
<visible>Container.Content(Genres) + substring(Container.FolderPath,musicdb://1/)</visible>
<imagepath>rock.jpg</imagepath>

ronie Wrote:start by looking how it's done in other skins ?

here's more or less the code you need to display the genre image:
[HTML]
<control type="image">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>200</width>
<height>200</height>
</control>[/HTML]
marcozd Wrote:OK. I am not sure how to tell it to use my custom icon name. So, I have an icon file, rock.jpg. Would the following work:

<control type="image">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>200</width>
<height>200</height>
<imagepath>rock.jpg</imagepath>

nope, the <texture> line takes care of loading the image based on the selected genre, so don't add a <imagepath> line.
Alright. How about this:

<control type="image">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>200</width>
<height>200</height>
<texture>$INFO[Listitem.label,,rock.jpg]</texture>

What I don't understand is how it will associate the genre "rock" with the picture file "rock.jpg". DOn't I need to tell it somewhere that I am making the "rock" genre display the "rock.jpg" file?

ronie Wrote:nope, the <texture> line takes care of loading the image based on the selected genre, so don't add a <imagepath> line.
marcozd Wrote:Alright. How about this:

<control type="image">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>200</width>
<height>200</height>
<texture>$INFO[Listitem.label,,rock.jpg]</texture>

What I don't understand is how it will associate the genre "rock" with the picture file "rock.jpg". DOn't I need to tell it somewhere that I am making the "rock" genre display the "rock.jpg" file?

no, when you're browsing the list of genres, 'ListItem.Label' will contain the value of the focused genre. and the $INFO string takes care of adding '.jpg' at the end.
so <texture>$INFO[Listitem.label,,.jpg]</texture> is the exact string you'll need to use, it'll work for every genre so you don't have to specify them one by one.

again, when you're new to skinning, the best way to learn is by looking at how it's done in other skins.....just a tip. ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Genre Icons0