• 6(current)
[XBOX] 128MB RAM upgrade for the Xbox, is it of any benefits for XBMC?
xbmc is pretty much constrained by the xbox's memory. where this can cause problems is in 1080i mode where xbmc runs on the edge. you need to turn the video caches down, and disable services like the web remote, ftp etc. more memory would help in this case. it would also help with database access. queries can crash when the resultant table is too large.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello,

all the points, where more memory would be helpful to XBMC, Kraqh3D has stateted, I never have taken into account.
I am amazed how much is affected in XBMC, having more memory.
The only function, I often use and which my also benefit from the upgrade, is viewing large pictures of cameras or scanners and zooming deeply into it. Elder XBMC versions often crashed when doing this (the newer versions I have not tested this until now).

By the way I / we have not upgraded our XBoxes to the purpose of XBMC. It always was the focus to GentooX.
KDE and various other applications are totally slowed down to a level on 64MB machines, where you can not or you soon won't work any more.
But if you now have 128MB GentooX machines and spent a lot of time and a little money for doing the ram upgrade, you also want to have the ram upgrade benefits for all the native XBox applications you are running besides GentooX.
And this is, what we don't understand. Why is the upgrade not visible to all the so called homebrew SW, running under the native XBox OS?
What have you done or how are your XBoxes configured (mod-chip, BIOS and so on), that you can see and use the extended memory with homebrew SW and especially with XBMC. Is there any additional modification to be done to activate the extended ram banks via e.g a soldering switch on the PCB?
GentooX as I know tests for ram banks and calculates the amount on the first address access error, so ram banks have to be coherent.

When doing the ram upgrade for the XBoxes I painful made the experience, that any smallest HW error (bad or not so good looking soldering of the ram devices; low resistance, caused from collophonium mud after soldering between the pins and so on) results in a broken XBox, doing the so called "christmas tree" LED cycle, where the XBox attempts to boot for three times and starts blinking in all colours afterwards, showing all the time a dark picture.

I have upgraded 3 of the 4 Boxes and none of the 3 worked, when switched on for the firtst time after doing the upgrade. Several hours I sat there with my magnifying glass and my Ohm meter, inspecting all the 400 pins of the devices for short circuit, dust and bad soldering. A lot of cleaning spray (mankind will foregive my contribution to the ozone hole at this point) in conjunction with a hard brush made most XBoxes alive again. I have sworn in that rough times never doing such an upgrade in my live again!

Therefore one of the 4 Boxes was upgraded by a professional game console modding company, but also this box shows the same behaviour as those upgraded by me.

Maybe you now have a little feeling, why it means a lot for me also having the upgrade benefit with XBMC!

Why the hell won't our sh... XBoxes recognize the upgraded ram under the native OS?
This can't be so complicated! GentooX works fine round the clock since two years, using more than 117 MB of physical memory. Some Boxes really were turned on for over a whole year without any down time!! They were used as data servers.
Nowadays you would say NAS device to such a thing Smile
Regarding pictures... Yes, in the past high mega-pixel images were be a problem but that's changed. To work around the memory issues with pictures, the picture is read in chunks and downsized in memory before being displayed. This has a negative side effect of it takes longer for the first picture to be displayed. In a slideshow, all subsequent pictures come up immediately because the "next" one is queued up.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Smile 
Is it actually possible? My friend says it took is xbox to an expert and he upgraded his ram on the xbox. if it can be done i am going to get an upgrade. i just dont know because xbox ram is different from the pc so i have my doubts because i have no idea where he (the expert) gets yhe ram
i just saw the inside of his xbox, its true. dont know if it is actually an upgrade just know that it is a different RAM module
XBMC 4ever
Yeah, its possible. An expert has to do it. Coz he has to remove the old ram module from mainboard and put a new module into it. Its not just plug and play. So you have to know what you are doing.

Sollie.
yeah. i am meeting the guy today i may just get the upgrade today.
XBMC 4ever
People of portugal if you want me to get you in contact with this guy just post in thread.
Se alguem de portugal quiser conhecer este homem postem neste forum
XBMC 4ever
You have to know that xbmc doesnt use extra ram, 64 mb is hardcoded. For using 128 mb memory you have to change some lines into the xbmc sourcecode. I am not a coder, so dont ask me.

Sollie.
I will see if i can changed it. Anyway will it work in games?
XBMC 4ever
I dont think so. Read this topic:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=128

Maybe i was wrong about editing source lines.

Sollie.

PS: maybe you should consider not to do this upgrade. I think only some emulators will work and linux systems.
yeah its not worth it. thanks sollie. still the guy makes a lot of money selling to people that dont know about this.
XBMC 4ever
Your welcom, i am glad i could help.

Sollie.
my friend tried to get his money back but no luck. everyone else dont upgrade your ram learn from the mistakes of others
XBMC 4ever
Hi Emperor,

Well, I must tell you that I never had a problem with my ram upgrade.
I did it myself, and both gentoox and xbmc detect the 128mb for more than a year. I used a lot of T3CH compilations and all of them displayed the 128mb.

When I first installed the extra memory I used a program to check if it was ok or not:
I uploaded it here :

http://rapidshare.com/files/9936622/xbmemcheck.rar.html

The program will give you some errors at the end of the ram because it is probably where the program is running.

I would like to ask a question to kraqh3d or any other developer, as I have searched the forums and didn't find any definitive answer:

Is XBMC able to use the 128mb if needed? ( the compiles made by T3CH)
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] 128MB RAM upgrade for the Xbox, is it of any benefits for XBMC?0