[LINUX] Media library organization
Hello there,
I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the correct section to poste this question.
I'm trying to understand if XBMC has the functionality that I am looking for.

With Amarok Music Player 1.4 I am able to organize my .mp3 files into a library within my file system. I have a folder within my file system where I put new mp3 files, then I tell Amarok to automatically download information about this new tracks from musicbrainz and automatically fill the ID3 tags. Finally I can tell Amarok to organize my music and it just moves the new tracks within my library which is organized in a tree of folders with the Music/Artist/Album/songs structure. All this in four clicks.

I would like to know if XBMC has a similar functionality for what concerns video files. I would like to phisically organize my files in a structure like Videos/Movies/Director/movies or Videos/TVSeries/Serie/Season/episodes and I would like to have it done automatically on the base of information from IMDB or TVdb.

Is this functionality present in XBMC? If it is present can anyone explain me how to do because I haven't found it. If it is not present, can anyone suggest me some other linux program that is able to do this and that I can use in combination with XBMC. I would like to use XBMC because it is present in the linux distribution i use which is Sabayon, but I also want to phisically organize my media files to use it without XBMC simply browsing my file system.

Excuse me for the bad english and thanks in advance for your answers.
Yes, XBMC will do that automatically for movies and shows. You simply need to organise as you have done (the director folder isn't needed unless you want it - make sure you turn on recursive scanning for movies if you have it).

Simply Set Content on the "TVSeries" folder, ensure the episodes are numbered appropriately (eg using s01e01) or hookup a regexp to match your existing numbering technique, and away you go.

Same for movies.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for your reply. Great! So I can simple use XBMC for all I need. But could you please explain me precisely how I can do this. I have looked at quite all the XBCM options and functionalities but I have only found something like "Organize the archive" but it doesn't work how I expect.

Thank you.
Excuse me, I am using my italian version of XBMC and I have translated the option in a wrong way. The functionality I have found is "Clear library" but however it doesn't work as I want.

Let me be clearer on the functionality I am looking for.
On amarok I have a directory Music where amarok looks for mp3 files. Let say the Music directory is empty in a first moment. Then let say I put a song in it, like for example Pink Floyd's Money. Then with one click on "Refresh collection" I can say to amarok to consider the new song. With another click in "Edit tag information with musicbrainz" I can let amarok download the information about the track from musicbrainz. I can choose within a lot of possibility if for example the song is present in more than one album. Let say I choose the right album which is The dark side of the moon. Finally I can tell amarok with one click on Organize files to organize my library. It will create a P directory inside Music directory. Then it will create a Pink Floyd directory inside P. Then it will create a The dark side of the moon directory within Pink floyd and finally it will move the mp3 file to this directory renaming it with 6 - Money.mp3 and deleting it from Music directory (Money is the 6th track in the album).

This is a very powerfull and usefull way to organize music library. I would like XBMC to do this for video files organizing it with a similar structure. For example for the Woody Allen movie Scoop it should download information from IMDB and create a structure like W/Woody Allen/Scoop/ and inside it i would like to have the movie file and for example the corresponding subtitles files if any. If the movie is splitted in two divx files I would like them to be renamed in Scoop - part 1.avi and Scoop - part 2.avi.

Is a functionality like that present in XBMC and if not is there someone who can suggest me some linux program that is able to do this. However I would greatly appreciate something like this within XBMC. Do you suggest me to fill in a bug somewhere to suggest such development effort?

Thank you for the time and execuse me for bad english.
XBMC doesn't touch your files, or rearrange them. You will need something else for this if that is what you want.

XBMC is a media center - a frontend for all your media. It's not a media organiser. Indeed, most of us don't care how our movies are organised on the filesystem.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38964
Thank you for your replies. I will look for a different program.
However in my opinion this could be an interesting feature to add into XBMC.

Bye.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Media library organization0