Video resume on external files
I shared an laptop with my xbox for watching videos.
Normally I can resume videos on my xbos if I play them on the DVD, but it doens't work for external files.

Is it possible to resume video for external files? If so, what dor I have to do?
Has anyone an idea?
if anyone had any clue wtf you are on about, then maybe. what is 'external files' ?
My files are stores on a external harddisk connected to a laptop. I created a share to my laptop.
This way I can play moviex directly on my old xbox without burning them on dvd of copying them on the the hard disk of the xbox.
So the files are not directly stored on the xbox.

Could that be a problem for the resume option?
depends on how they are shared to xbmc.

in general, there's no issues with smb/windows shares, as long as the files have the same urls. if the urls change, we have no way to identify the file. an external hdd could possible make the urls change between runs, depending on how the os on the ext hdd end handles the mounting/sharing.
Quote:in general, there's no issues with smb/windows shares, as long as the files have the same urls. if the urls change, we have no way to identify the file. an external hdd could possible make the urls change between runs, depending on how the os on the ext hdd end handles the mounting/sharing.

Also, you may want to use the "library cleanup" after you modified ANY file that is included in your library,

Also spiff is right and I confirm that my library is composed of 20+ SMB paths and is running absolutely fine without any problem or whatsoever

Now, here is YOUR REAL PROBLEM;

Your external USB HDD is using power management through Windows which causes XBMC to freeze because your HDD did not kick-in quick enough to be ready for reading, this is a known issue I guess and I have also had some troubles long time ago,

Try to go in your Windows options and deactivate him his ability to put on sleep your USB external HDD to avoid such behavior...

Please never forget that 99% of IT problems are located in between the screen & the chair, basically meaning that you should not blame XBMC at first which is a fantastic & reliable product if the environment in which it's running is clean & correctly setup...

Give it a try good luck Smile
I have a smb share, seen from the xbox it has always the same url....
Depending on your writing...the resume function should work.

Can I check if the resume point from a file is written to some kind of file?
Thanx dondre...I will check that option!!!!!
Now you mention....the hard disk will sometimes sleep indeed.....
immortality Wrote:I have a smb share, seen from the xbox it has always the same url....
Depending on your writing...the resume function should work.

Can I check if the resume point from a file is written to some kind of file?

Thing is simple, I recommend you to get used to a simple "debugging" concept which is quite simple, try something else to try to identify the root cause,

What I mean is simple, try the same "problem" you're having with a copy of the same exact file (let's agree it's a video file) and check if you're experiencing the same issues, if not, then you already know that this happens only on external USB (same goes even WORSE with eSATA low end controllers),

Besides your problem is still unclear to many of us I guess, could you try to be the most specific about the problems you're having like, is it the "popup" which asks you to resume or start from beginning? If so then it's a setup option you're missing,

Good luck again with your investigations Wink
My problem is that I'm not getting the popup.
If I play a movie from dvd or xbox harddisk I get the popup and it asks me to start from the beginning or resume from the point I ended.
But no popup on files on the external harddisk when I end it somewhere half and want to resume.
So now we know that;

- You're missing the resume pop-up while requesting a file from an external USB HDD,
- The pop-up shows correctly while requesting a file from an internal HDD,

I have no idea what could cause that nevertheless so perhaps another cheerful soul could help now that we have clearly identified your problem Smile

(btw, do you have freezes or crashes of XBMC when requesting the external hdd files or is it just playing fine but missing the pop-up ?)
No xbox crash. Everthing plays well....just no popup!
Moved to Xbox forum... If you're not getting the resume popup, I can only surmise its because Xbmc isn't updating the settings table with the resume point when you stop the video. Post a debug log. It might provide a clue.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Some log:
2:29:13 M: 31068160 ERROR: Error attempting to update the database version!
02:29:13 M: 31121408 ERROR: Can't update the database MyVideos34.db from version 27 to 33
02:29:13 M: 31068160 NOTICE: Attempting to update the database MyVideos34.db from version 27 to 33
02:29:13 M: 31068160 ERROR: SQLite: SQL error or missing database
Query: CREATE TABLE streamdetails (idFile integer, iStreamType integer, strVideoCodec text, fVideoAspect real, iVideoWidth integer, iVideoHeight integer, strAudioCodec text, iAudioChannels integer, strAudioLanguage text, strSubtitleLanguage text)
Wipe the video database from your Userdata folder and XBMC will create a new (compatible) one for you on the next boot.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video resume on external files0